IPAd Vs 7 Year old tablet

dgonz

Reaction score
its a win win for us as consumers. I'm not too pro or anti apple, I love my droid and will probably stick with Android from now on. But Apple does a good job of putting out new products that initialize a whole wave of competition.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ever hear of jailbreaking? That can open up both things that you just mentioned.

And whoever said it had to be 7 years of advancement? It's just a good device, and it's not just a bigger iPhone. Apps are completely different on the iPad most times, not to mention iBooks is not available for the iPhone/touch among other things.
the iPad is the equivalent to the Wii. they're both repurposed technologies that hit a novelty, which increased sales.

if done right, tablet technology has the potential to take over the netbook market, but it will never be a replacement for laptops and it will never dismiss the convenience smartphones have to offer (especially these days).

and for all of the DROID fanboiis talking up open platforms, etc.; Android is one of the MOST closed platforms available on the market now. think about it.

...? I think you need to explain how you came to that conclusion.

M

Matth3w

They will exist...about a year too late to ever rival the iPad...just like usual. Maybe over time they will cut into the marketshare but just like how every new phone was going to be the "iPhone killer" and never was...their tablet will be the same way.

It has a lot to do with opinion I think. Some people would say the Droid is an iPhone killer, some don't. Either way I'm interested to see what kinds of tablets start to surface, even HP now that they bought Palm.
It's not the iPhone killer. The iPhone is one phone on one carrier and it outsells all Android phones 2:1 in the states and 3.5:1 overall. So it's not even close to being an iPhone killer.

the iPad is the equivalent to the Wii. they're both repurposed technologies that hit a novelty, which increased sales.

if done right, tablet technology has the potential to take over the netbook market, but it will never be a replacement for laptops and it will never dismiss the convenience smartphones have to offer (especially these days).

and for all of the DROID fanboiis talking up open platforms, etc.; Android is one of the MOST closed platforms available on the market now. think about it.
EXACTLY.

But nor should it take over those niches...it's not meant to. Anyone that compares it to a smartphone or laptop is just plain stupid.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ever hear of jailbreaking? That can open up both things that you just mentioned.

And whoever said it had to be 7 years of advancement? It's just a good device, and it's not just a bigger iPhone. Apps are completely different on the iPad most times, not to mention iBooks is not available for the iPhone/touch among other things.

the way that Google distributes Android causes alot of confusion as to what is deemed as open source, vs. not. just the fact that developers have ZERO access to hardware level instructions is a huge dent in the open source claim. even WebOS grants this access.

to top it off, rumors are abound about how manufacturers are locking down partitions and anything else they can, in order to prevent rooting.

etx_droid

Reaction score
It's not the iPhone killer. The iPhone is one phone on one carrier and it outsells all Android phones 2:1 in the states and 3.5:1 overall. So it's not even close to being an iPhone killer.

I wasn't talking sales numbers, but I forget the world is based on Money and the device that sales the most is obviously the better device right? Either way I'm not trying to argue and still stand by what I posted, it's all about opinion.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think it's kind of funny how some people are so quick to call someone an apple fanboy while at the same time they are doing the same with non apple products. Blind hypocrisy is a wonderful thing. The way I look at apple is the way the world views the New York Yankees, everyone hates them, but they continue to lead the way. And that is coming from a Sox fan. I don't own an IPad nor do I plan on buying one but I do own a Mac computer after owning PC's my whole life and I will never go back to a PC again. Maybe I just had bad luck with PC's but inevitably it always ended up crashing, overheating, getting a million virus's and other various things of that nature. I have not even had a hint of any of those things happening with my mac. Do I like the android OS, yes. Do I also think apple puts out some awesome stuff, yes. When it all boils down, put down the bias and understand that both sides have quality products. If it wasn't for the IPhone we very well may not have this awesome phone we call the Droid.

Viper323

Reaction score
Special-Olympics.jpg

M

Matth3w

I don't know if I completely agree with his assessment, but just about any problem people constantly gripe about here with Apple, there is an Android equivalent of some sort.

- No Flash on the iPad? No support for most Middle Eastern foreign languages on Android. And that affects my browsing experience a lot more than no Flash. Especially since no one has been able to tell me what site I need to access in Flash that I can't without. Not to mention most Android devices aren't running Flash, either.

- Can't uninstall pre-installed apps on the iPhone without jailbreaking? Can't do it on the Droid either.

- Must use iTunes just to be able to use the device? Must have a GMail account to be able to use the Droid. And PoP3 support as well as Exchange support blows on the Droid. Two things I have zero problem with the iPad.

- Not enough memory for the money for the 16GB iPad? 500 bucks...a Droid unlocked when it came out was more money than that, and you get a whopping 256MB of real memory on that. Sure you can expand the SD card to the heart's content on the Droid, but you can have 16GB of space free on the SD and still not be able to install apps.

- No multitasking? Who really cares anyhow? Take 30 seconds to jailbreak the device and problem solved. And my Droid, overclocked with multitasking, is slow as hell compared to my iPad. The iPad is much smoother. And this will be moot in a couple of months when OS 4.0 is released anyhow.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I think if we are not allowed to have political based threads we shoudl not be allowed to have iJunk discussions... Matthew seems a bit stressed about it at least.

M

Matth3w

I wasn't talking sales numbers, but I forget the world is based on Money and the device that sales the most is obviously the better device right? Either way I'm not trying to argue and still stand by what I posted, it's all about opinion.
Ok then let's look at other aspects to compare the phones, since sales numbers, even giving the Android the clear advantage by including ALL Android phones is not enough.

- Multitouch...the Droid is EONS behind Apple in this regard.
- Storage space....a joke on the Android and a reason you get less apps
- App selection...goes to the iPhone as well
- On screen keyboard...again goes to the iPhone

I still love my Droid, and I still plan on getting an Incredible, but the bottom line is...Android has not released an "iPhone killer".

Silver Member
Reaction score

Ok then let's look at other aspects to compare the phones, since sales numbers, even giving the Android the clear advantage by including ALL Android phones is not enough.

I still love my Droid, and I still plan on getting an Incredible, but the bottom line is...Android has not released an "iPhone killer".
the market has changed. the network, combined with what is being considered stale technology, is starting to eat into iPhone sales numbers. google has the potential to create a beast and they may be "righting the wrong" with new devices and OS releases in this year alone.

but that's a discussion for another thread.

let's keep the on-topic here.

etx_droid

Reaction score

Look they are both good phones, I'm not bashing the iPhone, never was...I may have bashed the iPad with that flow chart but it was all in good fun and I thought it was hillarious. My opinion is that the Droid is better for ME than an iPhone and my opinion is if you have a decent laptop you really don't have the "need" for an iPad. I'm not a fanboy, I just like technology :)

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

-Multitouch is fully supported in Android. After that, is it all hardware related.
-Android 2.2 negates this point. CyanogenMod has negated this point for quite some time now.
-Yes, Apple does have more apps. Android's app selection is growing rapidly, but it will have a hard time catching up with Apple.
-A better on screen keyboard compared to what? HTC's IME keyboard is wonderful and seems just as convenient as my iPod Touch 3G's keyboard.. Android's huge selection of phones also gives you the option for a physical keyboard, which I will choose over a virtual keyboard any day.

People are always talking about the mythical iPhone killer. In my opinion, it doesn't exist. Millions of people believe that the iPhone meets all their needs. For the large group of people who don't want to be told what their needs should be by a company, Android is the obvious choice.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
There will never be an 'iPhone killer'.

PCs will never hold a flame to a Mac.

And Microsoft's attempt at reviving the tablet over ten years to spawn Apple to introduce the mass produced iPad is just funny.

Android doesn't make phones, they make an operating system. Apple makes a phone. Really, the two can't be compared no matter how you look at it. And if you still want to compare the difference between Android and iPhone, you will HAVE to include every device that runs Android, otherwise just get over the fact no one phone will take iPhone limelight.

Steve Jobs isn't stupid, nor is Apple; and it's irrelevant anyone else has attempted to market these ideas before because they FLOPPED. A great company took an idea and put it into a form factor that MILLIONS of people could USE and use with ease for that matter.

I don't know about you, but if I bought my wife a phone and she couldn't use it, what was the point in me buying the latest technology? That's right, there isn't a point.

iPhone brought the world to it's knees and pushed it into a new era of mobile communication. Thank god for that and thank god that Google is now giving us a second option in that world market. It's call evolution people and we all learned it in school.

So instead of pissing all over Apple for being the company that broke this open for all of YOU, you should be happy we now have multiple carriers, form factors and flavors to get our fix from.

I am not an Apple fan, as I've said many times over these threads, but I can respect the fact they were able to take innovative ideas(theirs or not) and made them available to the WORLD.

The Droid is an awesome phone, the Incredible is an awesome phone, I'm sure the Shadow and Droid2 will be awesome phones, and w/e the hell Dell has up their sleeve.... all that being said: the iPhone is still an awesome device and it works well for tons of people. That includes the majority of the incarnations of their other devices.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yall right, there will never be an iPhone killer.....it will kill itself thanks to the direction Steve Jobs and/or Apple wants to go.

Apple makes a phone AND an OS. So comparing them to Android is valid. If u wanna use the logic that u cant compare them, u cant compare the iPhone to anything then. U shouldn't even count the sales of iPhones against ANY phone then using that logic. So by default, Android phones are in 2nd place in first quarter sales of this year, followed not by the iPhone OS, but WinMo. The iPhone global sales against other phones? Non-existent based on that logic also....

PC's hold a flame to a MAC. Why? User-friendly. Which is more user friendly? And that my friend is HIGHLY debatable. Cuz it depends on whats more user-friendly for the person buying it. I am used to keyboard shortcuts cuz of the type of work I used to do. I can handle both a PC and a MAC with ease. (most folks tout the keyboard shortcuts making the MAC more user-friendly. But if you never used shortcuts and used a mouse your entire computing experience, the PC is gonna be more user friendly, If u never used DOS, the PC is gonna be more user friendly)

Ppl complaining about PC and crashes, viruses, etc, etc. I havent had those problems since 2005-2006. Guess what i did? I decided to really get to know how my machine runs. I got away from using PC's from HP, Dell, etc and went the custom built route so I know exactly whats running inside my PC. I also had to use the best internet security appz. Thru trial n error I found a solution thats has worked since 2005-2006.

I dont think its really hate or dislike for the iPhone, its hate or dislike for Apple. I guarentee if the MAC OS was available on regular PC's, if the iPhone was on more carriers, if the iPhone OS was on more phones, we wouldnt be having this discussion right now.

And the first post is mighty funny. The iPad compared to a 7 year old Tablet?? LOL!! The iPad should be light years ahread of that thing....wow. Look at PC's from that same time frame. Look at cellphones/smartphones from that same time frame. Look at TV's from that same time frame...

WOW.

Last edited: