IPAd Vs 7 Year old tablet

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by garrett, Apr 15, 2010.

1. garrett

garrett Silver Member
    Theme Developer Developer

Ratings:
    +5
    just thought id share this......

[​IMG]

2. pyro6128

pyro6128 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +8
    yea my mom has a tablet that she has had for a couple of years, about 4 or 5, and it completely obliterates the ipad in every stat imaginable, with the one exception being the ipad is thinner (but not by much). Everyone acts like a table is brand new technology, they've been around for a long time, and there are ones that are far better than the ipad.

3. kamk2k8

kamk2k8 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I remember the big tablet push at the turn of the millenium but the technology wasn't quite ready IMO

But until the iPad I really have heard nothing about tablets since, so it's pretty funny to see that HP released in 2003, more like sad actually

I guess now I'm wondering why tablets haven't really improved in 7 years...

4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    ROFL... didn't even occur to me. I have an old(er) IBM Tablet and it blows away the iPad also... just shows how stupid Apple fanboys can be ("let me pay $$$ for 7+ year old technology")... Apple fails again (yet sadly so few people will/can see it for what it really is)...

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Um, no.

Hmmm....a fifth of the battery life....

Twice the weight...

Almost twice as thick....

Uh, what am I missing? The plug I use for my headphones on my iPad is a figment of my imagination?

I notice the article conveniently left those things out. I love in the dimension comparison there is no mention of the thickness, nor the weight. Don't let facts get in the way of your bashing though!

What else are we missing, let's see?

- 54g instead of N WiFi
    - No 3G option
    - Less RAM (another fun fact they left out in the comparison)
    - No bluetooth
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

6. Jeremy556

Jeremy556 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have about 2 dozen HP TC1100s sitting in a closet, which they have been since maybe 6-8 months after they were purchased, for around $2600, each.

The TC1100 was a turd. The screen sucked, wasn't anything like capacitive touch screens of today, had too little memory, too small of a battery, was too heavy, and trying to use Windows XP with HP's lame toolbars was an exercise in frustration. It just didn't work, at all.

I hate Steve Jobs, and don't like Apple in general, but an iPad is in a completely different league from a TC1100.

7. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The point I think is, tablets in this size have been around a long time. Of course the HP was thicker and heavier, didn't have N wifi or 3g or bluetooth 7 years ago, and RAM is cheap these days. HP's implemtation of the tablet sucked, so did their convertible laptops later on, but that was where technology was at time. Frankly, I think HP fails at everything they do except for the older LaserJet printers. But at least they tried, and it ran a boatload of applications, had lots of ports, etc.

Come on, Steve is a master salesman, he'll convince you his iPad is magical and revolutionary when it isn't, but you'll buy it anyway. But he couldn't come out on stage and say. hey, this is a remake of something old, it's better in some ways, and I'd like you to buy a few million. That doesn't really sell.

8. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Exactly. The iPad is a glorified large iPhone, the larger version of something that has been around for almost 4 years....

I just dont see this as 7 years worth of technological advancement, it's just an amalgamation of SOME technology changes in a slick package. Talk to me when it can multitask, or when Steve Jobs opens it up to less restricted development

I'll never understand people's love for technology that is so restrictive.

9. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Ever hear of jailbreaking? That can open up both things that you just mentioned.

And whoever said it had to be 7 years of advancement? It's just a good device, and it's not just a bigger iPhone. Apps are completely different on the iPad most times, not to mention iBooks is not available for the iPhone/touch among other things.

10. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    So basically...the iPad is garbage and even though it sold over a million in the first few weeks..that's just because people are Apple fanboys and it doesn't mean there might, just might, be a good product there?

Sorry but a fanbase doesn't sell 50-100 million in equipment, apps, and upgrades in the first month. If it was a crap product, you'd hear about it. Instead, all you get are these BS comparisons like you see in this thread.

Most people can't even say for sure what the iPad is like, because you don't even own one. Talk about passing judgment before you know what the **** you're talking about.

11. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Exactly. You have to hack the device to make it do something it should do out of the box. Why does Apple and Steve Jobs get a free pass for something like this?

If a dealership sold you a new car, and said you'd have to install a new component in it to make the radio and AC work at the same time (which, oh, by the way, voids the warranty), you'd blow your lid.

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    For one, I think it's funny that you're whining about this when 50% or more of the stuff here in this forum is about hacking the Droid to get it to do what we want it to do. Quite funny. Apple doesn't get a pass from me. I am still not a huge Apple fan, but that doesn't mean I have to hate the Droid. I don't really care for Mercedes as a general whole, but that doesn't mean they can't make a nice product that I would like.

I am also paying about 40-50 times as much for my cars as I am the iPad so that's not the best comparison.

Search tags for this page

ipad 1 compared to old tablets

older ipad tablets of five years ago

what ipad is best for 7 year old