IPAd Vs 7 Year old tablet

M

Matth3w

1) Call it interrogator's intuition that I know you don't own an iPad. It's not passing judgment, it's a professional guess. :p

2) First off, the Newton wasn't really Steve Jobs' project, although he absorbed the project from the spin off company before it was canceled. More importantly, your claim that they "sold a lot" is also partially wrong. They sold 100,000 the first year, not too shabby for that time, but it was considered a flop. That's a far cry from the 1,000,000 iPads sold in the first month with the current supply completely sold out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droids

Reaction score
So don't buy it. Problem solved.

The Droid can multitask, and it's slow as ****, even overclocked, compared to any of the major iDevices. And I still love my Droid, but that's a fact.

I'll take no multitasking and smoother interface for 1000, Alex.

What is the big deal in taking 5 seconds to jailbreak the iPad and install Backgrounder for multitasking if it's so damn important? Or are you just stomping your feet and pouting?

And what is your argument going to be in a few months when OS 4.0 comes out with multitasking?

Come up with something new, the multitasking and Flash arguments are boring, old, and repetitive, not to mention pointless.

There are plenty of restrictive things about the phone you and I both have...and they have similar problems on the iDevices. You can't delete the pre-installed crappy apps without hacking it. At least with the iDevices with real memory the megabytes are irrelevant. But with the Droid you have to micromanage your megabytes like you're using a x486 computer from the early 90s. I had a Packard Bell my freshman year of high school in 96 or so with more internal memory than the Droid. You can't use it without a GMail account and the POP3 support is sketchy at best. You can't, no matter what you do, get support for certain languages, rendering it impossible to view certain sites. It doesn't even have a profiles setting for volume controls, and you can't even adjust individual volumes with most apps, let alone the stock phone. You can't install apps to the SD card, instead you have to put them on some miniscule amount of space that was outdated 5-7 years ago. Should I keep going? Where is your fury at Moto and Google? How about Exchange support between the devices?
Steve, is that you? Well. probably not but you grew up with a Packard Bell so that explains some things. You're wrong about everything else, you just don't know Android very well at all.

M

Matth3w

Show me how I'm wrong. Prove to me that you can use the Droid without a GMail account. Prove to me that you can uninstall the preinstalled apps without rooting.

And I had a PacBell for like a year. That doesn't mean I grew up with one.

Nice deflection.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Um, no.

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Battery Life: Between 2 hours and 36 minutes and 2 hours and 43 minutes under normal use with with the backlighting and Wi FI on. [/FONT]

Hmmm....a fifth of the battery life....

Thankfully, HP didn't change the tablet's basic design: at 3.1 pounds,

Twice the weight...

The 3.1-pound, 10.8-by-8.3-by-0.8-inch

Almost twice as thick....

No headphone plug

Uh, what am I missing? The plug I use for my headphones on my iPad is a figment of my imagination?

I notice the article conveniently left those things out. I love in the dimension comparison there is no mention of the thickness, nor the weight. Don't let facts get in the way of your bashing though!

What else are we missing, let's see?

- 54g instead of N WiFi
- No 3G option
- Less RAM (another fun fact they left out in the comparison)
- No bluetooth
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

Ever hear of jailbreaking? That can open up both things that you just mentioned.

And whoever said it had to be 7 years of advancement? It's just a good device, and it's not just a bigger iPhone. Apps are completely different on the iPad most times, not to mention iBooks is not available for the iPhone/touch among other things.

The point I think is, tablets in this size have been around a long time. Of course the HP was thicker and heavier, didn't have N wifi or 3g or bluetooth 7 years ago, and RAM is cheap these days. HP's implemtation of the tablet sucked, so did their convertible laptops later on, but that was where technology was at time. Frankly, I think HP fails at everything they do except for the older LaserJet printers. But at least they tried, and it ran a boatload of applications, had lots of ports, etc.

Come on, Steve is a master salesman, he'll convince you his iPad is magical and revolutionary when it isn't, but you'll buy it anyway. But he couldn't come out on stage and say. hey, this is a remake of something old, it's better in some ways, and I'd like you to buy a few million. That doesn't really sell.
So basically...the iPad is garbage and even though it sold over a million in the first few weeks..that's just because people are Apple fanboys and it doesn't mean there might, just might, be a good product there?

Sorry but a fanbase doesn't sell 50-100 million in equipment, apps, and upgrades in the first month. If it was a crap product, you'd hear about it. Instead, all you get are these BS comparisons like you see in this thread.

Most people can't even say for sure what the iPad is like, because you don't even own one. Talk about passing judgment before you know what the **** you're talking about.

Ever hear of jailbreaking? That can open up both things that you just mentioned.

Exactly. You have to hack the device to make it do something it should do out of the box. Why does Apple and Steve Jobs get a free pass for something like this?

If a dealership sold you a new car, and said you'd have to install a new component in it to make the radio and AC work at the same time (which, oh, by the way, voids the warranty), you'd blow your lid.
For one, I think it's funny that you're whining about this when 50% or more of the stuff here in this forum is about hacking the Droid to get it to do what we want it to do. Quite funny. Apple doesn't get a pass from me. I am still not a huge Apple fan, but that doesn't mean I have to hate the Droid. I don't really care for Mercedes as a general whole, but that doesn't mean they can't make a nice product that I would like.

I am also paying about 40-50 times as much for my cars as I am the iPad so that's not the best comparison.

So don't buy it. Problem solved.

The Droid can multitask, and it's slow as ****, even overclocked, compared to any of the major iDevices. And I still love my Droid, but that's a fact.

I'll take no multitasking and smoother interface for 1000, Alex.

What is the big deal in taking 5 seconds to jailbreak the iPad and install Backgrounder for multitasking if it's so damn important? Or are you just stomping your feet and pouting?

And what is your argument going to be in a few months when OS 4.0 comes out with multitasking?

Come up with something new, the multitasking and Flash arguments are boring, old, and repetitive, not to mention pointless.

There are plenty of restrictive things about the phone you and I both have...and they have similar problems on the iDevices. You can't delete the pre-installed crappy apps without hacking it. At least with the iDevices with real memory the megabytes are irrelevant. But with the Droid you have to micromanage your megabytes like you're using a x486 computer from the early 90s. I had a Packard Bell my freshman year of high school in 96 or so with more internal memory than the Droid. You can't use it without a GMail account and the POP3 support is sketchy at best. You can't, no matter what you do, get support for certain languages, rendering it impossible to view certain sites. It doesn't even have a profiles setting for volume controls, and you can't even adjust individual volumes with most apps, let alone the stock phone. You can't install apps to the SD card, instead you have to put them on some miniscule amount of space that was outdated 5-7 years ago. Should I keep going? Where is your fury at Moto and Google? How about Exchange support between the devices?

1) Call it interrogator's intuition that I know you don't own an iPad. It's not passing judgment, it's a professional guess. :p

2) First off, the Newton wasn't really Steve Jobs' project, although he absorbed the project from the spin off company before it was canceled. More importantly, your claim that they "sold a lot" is also partially wrong. They sold 100,000 the first year, not too shabby for that time, but it was considered a flop. That's a far cry from the 1,000,000 iPads sold in the first month with the current supply completely sold out.

Show me how I'm wrong. Prove to me that you can use the Droid without a GMail account. Prove to me that you can uninstall the preinstalled apps without rooting.

And I had a PacBell for like a year. That doesn't mean I grew up with one.

Nice deflection.

...dude. Get a life. How many Apple fan clubs do you run?

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I saw a video showing the iPad putting video-out to a tv?

(this thread is funny as all hell by the way...)

M

Matth3w

So Jhank, what you're saying is, you have no comeback for the incorrect facts presented in this thread because they interfere with the Apple bashing? Got it.

icculous - yes, you can output to TV using the regular or newer component cables. Also an out to VGA.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I still think the iPad was probably the dumbest product idea, worst hype, stupidest commercial ever, and the worst built and thought up electronic device...

M

Matth3w

Fortunately I don't let other people's biased opinions get in the way of my product purchases and enjoyment.

etx_droid

Reaction score
ipad-flowchart.jpg

dgonz

Reaction score
hahaha ohh the hostility here! this this thread is hilarious!

here's a funny ipad parody you all should enjoy :icon_ banana:

[video=youtube;MI99t9k4aEE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MI99t9k4aEE]YouTube - THE MAGICAL IPAD (Parody)[/video]

more or less sums up my thoughts on the matter.

M

Matth3w

I was going to post a video about the magical Android tablet or any new tablet for that matter, but funny enough...nothing to post because they don't really exist.

etx_droid

Reaction score
I was going to post a video about the magical Android tablet or any new tablet for that matter, but funny enough...nothing to post because they don't really exist.

Oh they will exist and I've always applauded Apple for trying to keep technology moving. They have successfully awaken the Tablet again, but as far is it being a magical revolutionary device it is far from that. But like I've said in other threads, if you have use for it awesome, keep on keeping on bro!

M

Matth3w

They will exist...about a year too late to ever rival the iPad...just like usual. Maybe over time they will cut into the marketshare but just like how every new phone was going to be the "iPhone killer" and never was...their tablet will be the same way.

etx_droid

Reaction score
They will exist...about a year too late to ever rival the iPad...just like usual. Maybe over time they will cut into the marketshare but just like how every new phone was going to be the "iPhone killer" and never was...their tablet will be the same way.

It has a lot to do with opinion I think. Some people would say the Droid is an iPhone killer, some don't. Either way I'm interested to see what kinds of tablets start to surface, even HP now that they bought Palm.

Silver Member
Reaction score

And whoever said it had to be 7 years of advancement? It's just a good device, and it's not just a bigger iPhone. Apps are completely different on the iPad most times, not to mention iBooks is not available for the iPhone/touch among other things.
the iPad is the equivalent to the Wii. they're both repurposed technologies that hit a novelty, which increased sales.

if done right, tablet technology has the potential to take over the netbook market, but it will never be a replacement for laptops and it will never dismiss the convenience smartphones have to offer (especially these days).

and for all of the DROID fanboiis talking up open platforms, etc.; Android is one of the MOST closed platforms available on the market now. think about it.