iOS Exploit Uses 3 Vulnerabilities To POWN Your iPhone With One Click

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
1472143572695868.png

Every once in a while the news and media go bonkers over lab created bugs in Android that will never actually amount to your valuable information being exposed. One crazy bug you won't likely hear about is a government cyberspionage tool that can totally take over your iPhone with one single click. The exploit uses three vulnerabilities within iOS software to give total access to the hacker. The exploit comes in the form of a text message with a link. Once you click the link your phone is remotely jailbroken and the would be hacker essentially has complete access to your phone and all of the information contained with

The hack was discovered by Ahmed Mansoor a human rights activist from the United Arab Emirates. He was a bit suspicious of a strange text message he received with a link "New secrets about torture of Emiratis in state prison.". Instead of opening the link he forwarded it to Bill Marczak a Citizen Lab researcher. It was soon discovered that this was no innocent news article link. Instead it was a very sophisticated piece of malware developed by a group of hackers who received the vulnerabilities and zero day exploits from Israeli surveillance vendor NSO.

As soon as Marczak of Lookout found out about these zero-days they informed Apple. Apple was able to get these exploits patched up in about 10 days. The latest update to iOS 9.3.5 will patch up the exploits. If you own an iOS product you had better update the software. Also don't click links contained in text messages from people you don't know. At this point that should be common sense.

via MotherBoard

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There goes the theory that Apple don't have to worry about exploits.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Ok... but my thing is who would look at a text from a random number, not knowing who it is and be like 'Oh I better click and read that.' Lol come on.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok... but my thing is who would look at a text from a random number, not knowing who it is and be like 'Oh I better click and read that.' Lol come on.

You're not familiar with social media and its users are you?

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3

Oh, believe me, I know lots of people who click on everything despite that I have told them numerous times not to unless you know the source (disinfecting pc's gets old sometimes, solely bc of this).

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Oh, believe me, I know lots of people who click on everything despite that I have told them numerous times not to unless you know the source (disinfecting pc's gets old sometimes, solely bc of this).

I hear ya there Tis! Obviously it's a "common sense" thing for those of us that know better. But the general population aren't always.....well, let's go with "bright". LOL!
My 71y/o Mother called me last winter in a panic because her PC was frozen and some guy kept calling her demanding money to "fix" her pc remotely and remove the virus. Apparently she opened a file in an email and it infected her pc. She gave him $125 and he kept calling wanting more money to "fix" other things. Needless to say, it was quite the ordeal for her.
Long story short, people are....I won't say idiots, but at times, not very conscientious or careful with regards to what they do online.

S5 tap'n

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes my mom had the same randsomware infection...for the third time! Thankfully she knew enough not to give them money. But getting rid of it is a pita! She also got the fbi one a few years ago that freaked her out but obviously not enough to not click on unknown links. My two brothers & sister had done the same but, fingers crossed, I think they learned. There are too many people out there that do not understand the dangers of the internet and are also slow learners, lol.

Reactions: cr6