Introduction from Chicago

DaBears

Reaction score
Hey everyone, wanted to introduce myself to the forum and ask a few opinions for a new user starting out. I am new to the smartphone arena, my Droid X (being shipped now), will be my first internet connected phone and obviously first experience with Android. I have some questions if you would be so kind to help out a noob from Chicago.

1. What OS version can I expect my device to ship with? I am planning on rooting and am seeing that there are very specific requirements for different ROMs and want to be familiar with my options before I start hacking Friday.

2. What ROMs would you recommend that are compatible with my OS? (or a link to a guide on downloading and installing a newer OS) with my goal being a fast phone, ability to remove unwanted stock apps, wifi tether for occasional use (and recommended program), and general customization.

3. What would you have done different if someone gave you a brand new phone tomorrow? I have SGP screen protectors and a incipio case on their way, getting ensquared insurance (not purchased yet if there is a better option), am getting it activated and then going straight to root land: with bootstrap backup, titanium, etc from RoOoler's guide (Thanks in advance!!!)

I know I am starting right off with questions but any help would be appreciated and I am just eager to get my phone set up and exactly how I want it.

Thanks in advance for any help, I will try to chime in once I learn some of these things. (and Go Bears!)

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome! Good to have you with us. I imagine you new X will have 2.2 installed. Check out the entire X section especially the hacking section for rooting, roms, and themes.

Mike

252chevyboyz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums and you may want to check out the DX section of the forum and just look around. Very helpful place to be and I hope you enjoy the DX

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Hello and welcome to the forums!!

Congrats on the X!! As Mike indicated, it should ship with 2.2 installed...definitely check out the X sub-forums here or our sister site at www.droidxforums.com for ideas on themes and ROMs as there are several and it will depend on what you want to go with...some have the "blur" stuff removed, some still have incorporated...it is finding what best suits you :)...

Jump in, enjoy and good luck!! Ask questions as ya have them and participate when ya can...