Insurance Policy for VZW & Asurion

88Droid

Reaction score
General info; if I missed somebody else stating the same thing excuse the duplication.

I talked to my State Farm office today to ask about getting coverage for my Droid I plan to purchase soon. I was told "some agents provide this coverage but we don't cover cell phones in Texas".
Sounded like a lame excuse to me but that's the same office I've got Home Owners, Boat, and 5 vehicles insured with. I even had a horse insured with this agent at one time but apparently cell phones are out of the question.
Looks like it's back to the Verizon store.

man, hacksaw2 ... i wish we could both find that one underwriter in texas that would be willing to write up a policy.

IF ANYONE KNOWS ANY SECRETS, HOLLA! : )

b-radisrad

Reaction score
Have any of you considered going with someone other than State Farm? There are countless other small, medium and large insurance companies who would probably offer an inland marine policy similar to the one that Asurion is offering Verizon and the other cell phone companies. You won't get your multi-line discount by going with your current insurance provider but I still bet you would save money then going with Asurion.

trav

Reaction score
Have any of you considered going with someone other than State Farm? There are countless other small, medium and large insurance companies...

Any recommendations before I crack open the Yellow Pages and start calling A through Z?

jutang

Reaction score
I already have a renter's policy under Ameriprise and inquired about covering my Moto Droid. They offer 3 electronic packages covering all types of electonics (except professional cameras) for $2500, $5000, and $10000 per yr. No deductible. I signed up for the $2500 package and the premium was only ~$50 a yr. Coverage includes items no longer working, theft, and loss. Wish I'd known about this sooner! Real piece of mind since I don't have to worry about TVs, Cameras, Ipod. Computers...etc.

King James

Reaction score
I spoke with my State Farm agent today and was told State Farm stopped covering cell phones a couple years ago. She said as a whole the company stopped covering phones because of the iphone.

Fryeguy

Reaction score
I purchased the Best Buy GeekSquad coverage. There is no deductible and replacement is with new phone if necessary.

I dropped my phone in Georgia a few weeks prior and cracked my screen. Took to Best Buy. Provided a temporary (non smart phone) and told in few days to return to store for new replacement.

Worked out great. The coverage is higher per months than Verizon coverage and does not appear to be cancellable due to claims. It did take a week for the email to return to store. But I avoided a deductible and did not get a refurbished model.

Happy so far. I believe my monthly premium is $10 or so.

empire77

Reaction score
No luck in NJ with State Farm either. I'm going to try other insurance agencies.

FaithKeeper

Reaction score
I've read several threads regarding VZW insurance/Asurion which are helping me out a ton, and for that I say thankya.

Still, I wanted to ask a question and get some feedback here:

My wife and I both got a Moto Droid (NE2, 2 for $99! Woot!) 3 weeks ago. My wife is notorious for breaking phones, so I made sure to include the $8/month VZW insurance for both of our phones.

Inevitably, this morning while I'm at work my wife was in a rush getting our kiddos in the car to zip our oldest off to preschool. She....and this pains me to say it....left her Droid on the hood of the car and it is now a friend of the freeway.

What are my options? Should I claim my insurance policy and get that started? I know there's a 30-day return policy, but we don't have anything to return lol.

Thanks for your time. I'll sit back and look forward to your feedback.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've read several threads regarding VZW insurance/Asurion which are helping me out a ton, and for that I say thankya.

My wife and I both got a Moto Droid (NE2, 2 for $99! Woot!) 3 weeks ago. My wife is notorious for breaking phones, so I made sure to include the $8/month VZW insurance for both of our phones.

Inevitably, this morning while I'm at work my wife was in a rush getting our kiddos in the car to zip our oldest off to preschool. She....and this pains me to say it....left her Droid on the hood of the car and it is now a friend of the freeway.

What are my options? Should I claim my insurance policy and get that started? I know there's a 30-day return policy, but we don't have anything to return lol.

30 day return policy won't work on a phone that is somewhere on the freeway. Get the insurance. You will have to wait another 30 days to make a claim. It will be $90.00 co pay but keep in mind in reality the Droid sells retail for 5-6 hundred dollars.

FaithKeeper

Reaction score

30 day return policy won't work on a phone that is somewhere on the freeway. Get the insurance. You will have to wait another 30 days to make a claim. It will be $90.00 co pay but keep in mind in reality the Droid sells retail for 5-6 hundred dollars.

Shoot. So I have to wait a probation period until I can cubmit an insurance claim for my wife's Droid? I was hoping to do that this afternoon so she can get a Droid by next week.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Shoot. So I have to wait a probation period until I can cubmit an insurance claim for my wife's Droid? I was hoping to do that this afternoon so she can get a Droid by next week.

I'm not positive about that if your still in your first 30 days maybe you can get it covered. I'm past my 30 days and Assurion still gave me the insurance but I can't use it for 30 days. Fortunately I don't have to. I don't know what they do in the first 30 days if you damage your phone.

o0HERO0o

Reaction score
When you think of the price to replace a new smartphone it is well worth the price. Too bad we don't get some sort of payback if we never use it but they are in the business of making money and that is how they do it.
Lol lumpysherman.....Nice pic...:)

modette

Reaction score
You could try calling your homeowners and or auto insurance company and see if they cover anything.

By the way, that is why I am reading this thread, has anyone called other companies like AAA??? That is who we have home owners through...so I guess I will call them tomorrow and see, I'll post the results.