Insurance Policy for VZW & Asurion

Natedogg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great research. Planning to get a droid soon (can't wait). And was wondering about insurance. Right now, I'm leaning toward State Farm, though I am bummed it doesnt cover loss. That makes sense, I know, but I would just like the peace of mind. That said, I'm not sure the peace of mind is quite worth Asurion;s asking price. Oh well.

A.Brooks

Reaction score
just got mine through state farm, will never use anything else. Screw you Verizon and your WAY inflated plans. 38dollars / year to insure my device. vs 72+89 dollar deductible! Wee State Farm > Verizon

A.Brooks

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great research. Planning to get a droid soon (can't wait). And was wondering about insurance. Right now, I'm leaning toward State Farm, though I am bummed it doesnt cover loss. That makes sense, I know, but I would just like the peace of mind. That said, I'm not sure the peace of mind is quite worth Asurion;s asking price. Oh well.
It covers theft though. So if you leave your phone somewhere and it gets stolen, isn't that theft?

Natedogg

Reaction score
It covers theft though. So if you leave your phone somewhere and it gets stolen, isn't that theft?

I suspect they'll make you file a police report.

A.Brooks

Reaction score

Just got off the phone with my State Farm agent. State Farm's policy DOES cover loss. So now there is absolutely NO reason for anyone to give Verizon any more of that insurance money. Call up your local State Farm Agent and cover your phone for every possible situation, no matter what YOU do to it, it is covered. You can drop it in the toilet, drop it, scratch it, lose it, break it, no matter what, your insurance through State Farm Covers it. Of course I wouldn't recommend doing any of these things to your wonderful precious phone because I'm not sure how long the replacement will take to come in, but at least you'll have that complete assurance that your phone is safe no matter what happens to it.

As far as the rate, it is:
drumroll please...
$3.16/month paying monthly (be advised I do have multiple policies through State Farm, but I don't think there is a multi-line discount on this coverage. The phone is covered @ $599 which is what it would cost if you went to Motorola and got it @retail price.

A.Brooks

Reaction score
ok so i called statefarm and they said the minimum is $650 for a phone to be insured. the droid is only $550 so they can't insure it. is my agent bs'ing me? how did you go about getting your phone insured thru state farm?

I didn't get it insured yet, but the two agents I called said it was $500 or more.

This is interesting. Did you call another local agent and compare prices?

I called my brother-in-law who is a State Farm agent and he said that effective last August State Farm corporate moved phones from being covered under personal property to home owners insurance. Therefore you will have to pay your home owners deductible (ours is $1000) so I will be going with Assurion!
This is explicitly FALSE. Do not believe this post for anything, I got my policy today on my PHONE, I have 0 deductible and pay 38 dollars for the entire year's coverage. There must have been some miscommunication between you and your brother-in-law.

joker402

Reaction score
Protectcell all the way, I sell that at my store like crazy and its by far better than asurion and cheaper if you do the math and average not to make a claim or only claim once.

Plus the send out new decives most the time than compaird to asurion which is most refubsr

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score

Just got off the phone with my State Farm agent. State Farm's policy DOES cover loss. So now there is absolutely NO reason for anyone to give Verizon any more of that insurance money. Call up your local State Farm Agent and cover your phone for every possible situation, no matter what YOU do to it, it is covered. You can drop it in the toilet, drop it, scratch it, lose it, break it, no matter what, your insurance through State Farm Covers it. Of course I wouldn't recommend doing any of these things to your wonderful precious phone because I'm not sure how long the replacement will take to come in, but at least you'll have that complete assurance that your phone is safe no matter what happens to it.

As far as the rate, it is:
drumroll please...
$3.16/month paying monthly (be advised I do have multiple policies through State Farm, but I don't think there is a multi-line discount on this coverage. The phone is covered @ $599 which is what it would cost if you went to Motorola and got it @retail price.

Thank you for confirming :)

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Protectcell all the way, I sell that at my store like crazy and its by far better than asurion and cheaper if you do the math and average not to make a claim or only claim once.

Plus the send out new decives most the time than compaird to asurion which is most refubsr

Do you just sell the insurance or do you work directly for them?

When I called their customer service line I was told that item replacement was dependent on what was available in their warehouse. I then asked, is it usually refurb or new; the lady on the phone repeated about what is available and she said usually it's a refurb phone, but it all depended on the availability.

I know I sound redundant in that statement, but that is *exactly* how she expressed it to me.

joker402

Reaction score
We are a premium retailer for big red and we sell both asurion and protectcell

b-radisrad

Reaction score
If you have homeowners insurance or maybe even renters insurance talk to your insurance rep. I put my droid on my homeowners insurance for $15 for the whole year!! I do have a $100 deductible. My policy covers damage, theft or lost.

I can top that! $15 for the entire year and $0 deductible. Booya! :icon_ banana:

loop4zil

Reaction score
I am switching my coverage to State Farm TODAY. I cannot believe I did not think this thru more clearly. GREAT info sharing!

Quick and dirty analysis of the asurion plan...I think my logic is correct...6*<# of months on plan>+89
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

loop4zil

Reaction score
I am switching my coverage to State Farm TODAY. I cannot believe I did not think this thru more clearly. GREAT info sharing!

Quick and dirty analysis of the asurion plan...I think my logic is correct...6*<# of months on plan>+89
My State Farm agent told me that they do not do that any longer...anyone else get this?

funkdoctor

Reaction score

My State Farm agent told me that they do not do that any longer...anyone else get this?

Just got the same message. Going to try calling the 1-800 number and seeing what I can find out.

trav

Reaction score
nerdbox08 wrote, "I just bought my policy from State Farm." (2/4/10)

loop4zil wrote, "My State Farm agent told me that they do not do that any longer." (2/12/10)

funkdoctor wrote, "Just got the same message." (2/12/10)

I just got off the phone with two different State Farm agents (in NYC) who stated that they no longer cover any cell phones whatsoever, with one of them claiming that this holds for all State Farm agents company-wide. She thought that this rule had been in effect since last year, but when I pointed out that I know of people who got State Farm policies for their phones within the past month, she speculated that perhaps the underwriter will come back and nix those plans.

I called State Farm's customer service number at 877-734-2265 to verify the above information, and the representative didn't know. He passed the buck, saying their agents would know better than he and his colleagues in Customer Service.

After reading this thread, State Farm seemed like the best way to go. I wonder if calling countless agents will unearth one who will do it?

-Trav

Last edited: