insurance claim

acidrane

Reaction score
hi guys, i haven't posted in a very long time.

over the weekend, i dropped my droid. i nearly had a heart attack and everything was in slow motion. fortunately, nothing broke or at least, nothing big. the phone fell perfectly parallel to the ground and landed on the screen. now the screen is a bit loose. the gap on the bottom end (if held horizontally, the part closes to the palm) is a fraction bigger causing it to slap down when i type viz the on screen keyboard (i rarely use the slide up board).

is there a way to get this fixed through the verizon insurance and NOT have to pay the $50 deductible? can i fix it myself?

thanks
vick

hemorrdroid

Reaction score
I havent takent the glass loose from the screen, but if you dont mind digging into you phone (voiding warranty) its really easy to take apart, just need an extremely small phillips and a T5 torx screwdriver, i've had my screen off, but i'm sure the glass is just glued onto the housing. There is a great video on YouTube for dissassembly of the droid. Good luck! FYI not sure if Asurion will fix or try to replace it, but i know the stock of Droid's are come and go, and they are essentially downgrading people last i heard, you might wait it out and get an incredible or droid x if they start doing those for replacements.

Edit: If you decide to take it apart, get quality tools, as they screws use loc-tite to keep the screws from coming out easily, using a cheap screwdriver will either strip out the screw or just ruin the screwdriver. I got some craftsman from sears, T5 screwdriver was only 2.99

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
hi guys, i haven't posted in a very long time.

over the weekend, i dropped my droid. i nearly had a heart attack and everything was in slow motion. fortunately, nothing broke or at least, nothing big. the phone fell perfectly parallel to the ground and landed on the screen. now the screen is a bit loose. the gap on the bottom end (if held horizontally, the part closes to the palm) is a fraction bigger causing it to slap down when i type viz the on screen keyboard (i rarely use the slide up board).

is there a way to get this fixed through the verizon insurance and NOT have to pay the $50 deductible? can i fix it myself?

thanks
vick
Well Vick here's the news. The Droid deductable is 89.00. And as to the availability of the Droid, I suggest you call Asurion and ask them what they are doing today. Some report that they cannot get another Droid Assurion is out and offering the Desire or the Eris. There's a huge thread on this, let me look for it and I'll edit this post.

Edit: I may have the replacement phones they are offering wrong. One I know is the Eris.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...asurion-sux-no-longer-carries-moto-droid.html

OP
A

acidrane

Reaction score
I havent takent the glass loose from the screen, but if you dont mind digging into you phone (voiding warranty) its really easy to take apart, just need an extremely small phillips and a T5 torx screwdriver, i've had my screen off, but i'm sure the glass is just glued onto the housing. There is a great video on YouTube for dissassembly of the droid. Good luck! FYI not sure if Asurion will fix or try to replace it, but i know the stock of Droid's are come and go, and they are essentially downgrading people last i heard, you might wait it out and get an incredible or droid x if they start doing those for replacements.

Edit: If you decide to take it apart, get quality tools, as they screws use loc-tite to keep the screws from coming out easily, using a cheap screwdriver will either strip out the screw or just ruin the screwdriver. I got some craftsman from sears, T5 screwdriver was only 2.99

The entire bottom part of the screen is loose. not the glass. I'll look up the videos on youtube. i might actually have the crafstman t5 driver. i needed it for another moto phone back in the day!

Well Vick here's the news. The Droid deductable is 89.00. And as to the availability of the Droid, I suggest you call Asurion and ask them what they are doing today. Some report that they cannot get another Droid Assurion is out and offering the Desire or the Eris. There's a huge thread on this, let me look for it and I'll edit this post.

Edit: I may have the replacement phones they are offering wrong. One I know is the Eris.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...asurion-sux-no-longer-carries-moto-droid.html

thanks for the heads up. i'm going to watch the youtube videos first, then decide what i want to do. i definitely dont want to downgrade! so that's out of the question. maybe ill wait till the droid2 comes out!