verizon insurance doubts

greenman45

Reaction score
When i bought my droid x 2.2 in november i paid for the $100 insurance plan because the verizon store salesman said it promised a brand new phone if i broke it or it got water damage. now ive rooted my phone and paid for apps like root explorer and dxd2 overclocker and my question is this, if my dx ends up in the tolet or hits the ground and breaks are there any loopholes verizon will be able to use against me? can they look at my market account and see that i purchased apps for a rooted phone even if the phone is broken? or will they just charge me the 30 dollar deductable for a brand new one? i never know, nothing with verizon is ever easy

littlerick

Reaction score
the deductable is 79 i think (also its a certified like new replacement so its not new)

D

dankarlinski

i have sent back 4 working droid 2's for various issues. i left all my apps on it and left it rooted (as well running a custom rom). i have never heard a peep from them. i wouldnt sweat it.

**EDIT**
also confirming that you get a factory Refurb, not a brand new device.

but it beats forking out 500 for a new phone, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

cpjr

Reaction score
Yup. And not sure what the deductible is....but I doubt you'll get a new one, most likely refurbished.

Last edited:

Beka27

Reaction score
Is this a different insurance plan than the one thru Asurion? You paid a one time fee for this, but no monthly fee, and a much cheaper deductible?

cpjr

Reaction score
He paid for Bestbuy's extended warranty plan offered through the store, but not sure exactly how it works.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I've never heard of that insurance plan, but the only thing that rooting does is void your warranty. It has nothing to do with insurance so you should be all good. Think about it like this, if you make all kinds of mods to your car, it may void the warranty, but if you have a wreck your car is still covered. They may not cover the mods (unless you had them specifically insured) but the car is covered. Your phone is insured, but root is not. In other words, your new phone will not be rooted when it comes. I'm sure you knew that but had to finish the analogy.

Edit : not exactly sure how that extended warranty thing works since rooting does invalidate a warranty.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Beka27

Reaction score
He paid for Bestbuy's extended warranty plan offered through the store, but not sure exactly how it works.

Ohhh... gotcha. He said "verizon store salesman" so i assumed it was a salesman... at Verizon.

(I was about to call and give my local VZW a piece of my mind... lol.)

OP
G

greenman45

Reaction score
nope i bought the phone at a verizon store and the seperate insurance for a one time price of around $100. i wasnt going to buy it but the guy promised me it wouldnt be "like new". he said no matter how it broke 33 bucks would get me a brand new one. so i paid the extra $100 and now i dont want it to break and i find out the guy just straight up lied to me and i have to pay 80 for a used phone.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you paid $100 for insurance, then you probably have the Best Buy plan. Not such a good deal because if the phone gets wet, i.e., falls into the toilet, guess what, that is NOT covered by Best Buy insurance, where it is covered by Asurion. Sure they promise you a new phone, but I can guarantee you that there's a very high percentage of phones that not just get broken, but also get wet. Hope you're not one of them.

If you are rooted, no they will not look at your apps to see if you bought rooted ones.

cpjr

Reaction score
Yeah I think I just assumed Best Buy....misread the OP, cause Ive never heard of Verizon offering any type of one time fee insurance of any sort. Hope you didnt get screwed.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's not a Best Buy plan. Instead of paying monthly, Asurion will allow you to make a yearly payment, which makes both, the deductible and overall payout, less than actually paying monthly.

I have the yearly plan, and it was offered in the VZW store. I can post a scanned copy of the paperwork if need be.

Edit: It's a ProtectCell plan that I accepted, not Asurion.

Last edited:

Beka27

Reaction score
I've never heard of this either. I'd much rather pay $200 than $336 ($7 a month times 24 months times 2 phones) AND a lower deductible. But this option was never offered to me at the corporate store.

OP
G

greenman45

Reaction score
can i see the paperwork please? im not worried about being rooted anymore i just want to know what my phone is covered for with this plan. and how much a new phone would be

Beka27

Reaction score
It's not a Best Buy plan. Instead of paying monthly, Asurion will allow you to make a yearly payment, which makes both, the deductible and overall payout, less than actually paying monthly.

I have the yearly plan, and it was offered in the VZW store. I can post a scanned copy of the paperwork if need be.

Per year or per two years? If that's for one year, how is $100 cheaper than if you pay $84 over 12 months?

Edit: Nevermind... my insurance is $7.99 monthly, not $6.99 (altho that's still only $95 for the year.)

Last edited: