Insurance anyone?

xyodax

Reaction score
I decided to opt out of insurance for my droid eris when I got it two weeks ago, because it always seemed like a waste of money for the past few years. Then yesterday I got out of my car, and my phone happened to drop out of my pocket, hit the ground, then get kicked-no, I did not have the intention of kicking it, but I didn't realize it fell until after. At first I was scared it was broken, but upon inspecting it, it turned out only a little scratch on the top left corner, nothing on the screen, or anywhere else. I guess insurance would be a good idea, considering I do not use a case.
Anyone else out there have any close calls with their droid/eris'?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You opt'ed out? Good Luck....

I have Insurance on all my smartphones....Never needed it, but...you never know....

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I never bought into the extra insurance.

I think if you take care of the device and use it as it's supposed to then it's an unnecessary option. I've had 2 smartphones prior to this one and never needed insurance. Extra insurance on my other electronics like my TV, ps3, computer, etc. I never found it to be necessary nor give me any sense of reassurance. Just seems to me like it wastes more money than anything.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Insurance on smartphones is just a smart thing to do. There can be alot of things that can go wrong with a unit. While most of those don't happen, they can. It all depends on how the units are used.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I think if you take care of the device and use it as it's supposed to then it's an unnecessary option. I've had 2 smartphones prior to this one and never needed insurance. Extra insurance on my other electronics like my TV, ps3, computer, etc. I never found it to be necessary nor give me any sense of reassurance. Just seems to me like it wastes more money than anything.

I agree, but in the case that you don't like using a case around your phone and you drop it and it breaks. Then your out 600 dollars for a new one. So if you don't want insurance at least use a case :)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

I agree, but in the case that you don't like using a case around your phone and you drop it and it breaks. Then your out 600 dollars for a new one. So if you don't want insurance at least use a case :)

very true and i agree, but that's user experience as well. I've never dropped my phone or anything expensive for that matter. I am very cautious with my things. Like I said, some people find the insurance helpful and need it, some don't, I am not one of those people. If I do drop it, lesson learned and future insurance will probably be debated, but for me and this device, not needed.

It's all a matter of personal opinion and experience.

and for an extra added point, my droid doesn't have a case. the only protection it has is the Invisible Shield.

Droids

Reaction score
While I never buy insurance on electronics, nor would I on a dumb phone, I think it's a good idea on an expensive smartphone. You can always cancel it a year from now when retail prices of replacement units comes way down. Right now it's over $500 to replace a Droid., less for an Eris though.

xxfire

Reaction score
I got burned once with no insurance, so it's worth it to me...

Only takes once, then you'll learn...

Takami826

Reaction score
I normally don't bother with insurance, either. I mean, I'm not lugging my TV around or anything like that. I don't insure my laptops either BUT I insured my blackberry and have decided to with the droid... I'm more worried about what careless and reckless fools around me will do to my stuff...

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've had insurance on all my phones, even the simple ones. Never needed it, but, like mentioned earler, you never know.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've had insurance on my phone for a few years... even before I got into smartphones. Used to have a bad temper (and was young) so I smashed a lot of phones. Now my biggest fear is exiting my car with my phone on my lap. I've learned the hard way... insurance for me is the norm on my phones. I haven't used over my past 2 phones but I just know as soon as I cancel it the 'worst case scenario' for me will play out.

rothenbj

Reaction score

I never take insurance on electronics except on cell phones. I already managed to drop my Droid. I liked the lost or stolen in the Droid insurance.

Anything this small that you're pulling out of a holster or carrying in your pocket has a tendency to have things happen.

That being said, in over 5 years of use and with 2 smart phones in the house, only once did I need the insurance. That was not a mistake, just a phone failure.

That being said, a year down the road, there might be a newer Droid available that I'd be willing to pay an extra $100 on if something happened to my Droid. Insurance could be cancelled at that point.

91rangerturbo

Reaction score
i passed on the verizon insurance and got best buy's insurance plan and its 10 bucks a month and no deductible and no questions asked and no limit. Just what i like to hear. So i don't worry about a case or screen proector or anything for my phone. If it breaks,scratches too bad to use or anything. I will be getting a new one in no time flat..

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
There's nothing to "learn". It's a personal judgment call like any other type of insurance. Well, except for those that are mandated (auto, etc). I never use device insurance. My fiancee always does.

Last edited:

Sleeve

Reaction score

Exactly. The discounts you get when you qualify for two year promotional pricing make you forget the replacement cost of what you're carrying around, until you have a family member lose a free clamshell phone and you're looking at $229 for stupidphones, forget about $600 for a Droid.

Burned once without Asurion, never again, even with the higher rates and higher deductible.