Incredible owners... Chime in on the Fascinate

chaz.ring

Reaction score
I'm a soon-to-be new Android user. I'm considering both the Incredible and the Samsung Fascinate. I really liked the Fascinate at the store when I looked at it. I know about the Bing "issue" and the general lack of enthusiasm for TW. But which device would you guys recommend?

I actually want to say I'm leaning towards the Fascinate. However, I hear a lot of good things about Sense. Is it really that great or can I root and use other launchers to have a better experience on the Fascinate? I've used HTC's interface on my Touch Pro 2 with WinMo 6.5. I know it's not exactly the same, but I'm used to a lot of their design tendencies. It just seems like the Fascinate has better hardware.

How do you like your Incredible? Are any of you considering the Fascinate? What are your problems with the Incredible?

No opinion will go unread in here.

I love My DINC..... hate its battery life though.... I just ordered a 3500 battery so we will see how she performs. Have had a few odd timed reboot's, but only 2 times that I have noticed. I like its size more than any of the other phones out. It gets incredibly hot while running navigation and will destroy the phone if ran for more than a couple hours at a time.... This is all from my first hand experiance, not just an opinion... all in all I like the phone, but will be upgrading as soon as verizon has out its LTE phones...dancedroid

Tsquare

Reaction score
I own the Droid Incredible. Prior to it I had the X. Before that I had AT&T and had the Captivate (AT&T Galaxy s Version). I have to say, I hated everything about the captivate. I hated the power button / lock button on the side, I hated how slow and laggy it was, I hated touch wiz, and most of all I hated the look and feel of the hardware. The user experience was horrible!!! I did like the 16GB on board / 16GB Micro sd combination for 32GB of memory, and the big beautiful screen.
When I switched back to verizon and got the Droid X it ran so much better than the Captivate, but it was just so darn big. I then got the incredible, and man, my mind was blown, and I am still in love with this phone, which says a ton for me. I switch phones waaay too much, but this incredible is amazing. The Sense UI is the best thing ever, they really outdid themselves with it. It incorporates the weather into the calender for the next couple of days, contacts are great, just all around enjoyable experience. The only trouble I have is the keyboard is hard to type on from the small size screen.
No, the Fascinate is the BEST looking android device to date in my opinion, and has the perfect 4.0" screen on it, and its a great screen. I am wondering why they decreased onboard memory to 2GB from 16GB, and left out the LED notification light, but that could be overlooked. The horrid Samsung Touch Wiz interface just ruins the phone. If I knew for 100% certain I could root it, load up a custom rom and have sense ui on it in the near future I would take my incredible back and get the fascinate.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps some.

kmo

Reaction score
As far as the phone itself physically, it's pretty nice. The deal breaker for me would be the use Bing instead of Google search and no Google maps which means you'll probably have to pay a monthly charge to use VZW's VZ Navigator, which IMHO is not as good as the free Google maps I'm getting on the DINC. If I had to choose Incredible vs Fascinate=Incredible FTW for sure. Don't know why VZW went with Bing, another "dumb" move on VZW's part as far as I'm concerned. Hope this isn't something they will be doing more of on the new devices. Personally I'm a big fan of Google in general especially for this phone. The applications work really well for the most part.

Steeeler

Reaction score
As far as the phone itself physically, it's pretty nice. The deal breaker for me would be the use Bing instead of Google search and no Google maps which means you'll probably have to pay a monthly charge to use VZW's VZ Navigator, which IMHO is not as good as the free Google maps I'm getting on the DINC. If I had to choose Incredible vs Fascinate=Incredible FTW for sure. Don't know why VZW went with Bing, another "dumb" move on VZW's part as far as I'm concerned. Hope this isn't something they will be doing more of on the new devices. Personally I'm a big fan of Google in general especially for this phone. The applications work really well for the most part.

Agree with the above. Thats why I took all the Bing crap off my Fascinate. Adding Google is easily done (with or without root). Put the Dinc and the Fascinate together. Hold them, play around with them, and then compare the screens side by side. I bet you will walk out with the Samsung.

OP
P

ppazz1101

Reaction score

Agree with the above. Thats why I took all the Bing crap off my Fascinate. Adding Google is easily done (with or without root). Put the Dinc and the Fascinate together. Hold them, play around with them, and then compare the screens side by side. I bet you will walk out with the Samsung.
Hey! A fellow Steelers fan.

Yeah I can see the Bing stuff getting annoying. Luckily, I have no problem with rooting the device and changing what I can.

I believe I'm going with the Fascinate. I just can't justify the Incredible after looking at the Fascinate side by side. I didn't mind TW. I don't think I'll miss Sense, especially if I root and start customizing it.

kmo

Reaction score
I had one (Fascinate) in my hands last week, like I said very nice phone. Looks great, but I won't be running out to trade my DINC for this new device. By the time my eligibility comes up I will have a bunch of new choices for sure. The DINC still holds up on its own quite well when compared to any other device out there at the moment... that said the Fascinate will surely work out for a lot of people no doubt.

Just thought I'd throw this in here for anyone who hasn't read the Engadget review. http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/07/samsung-fascinate-review/

OP
P

ppazz1101

Reaction score
I had one (Fascinate) in my hands last week, like I said very nice phone. Looks great, but I won't be running out to trade my DINC for this new device. By the time my eligibility comes up I will have a bunch of new choices for sure. The DINC still holds up on its own quite well when compared to any other device out there at the moment... that said the Fascinate will surely work out for a lot of people no doubt.

You bring up a good point. It's difficult to get an opinion from an Incredible owner seeing as there may not be enough reason for an Incredible owner to switch to a Fascinate. However, I'm coming in as a new Android user altogether. It seems to make sense to go for the slightly better specs and the newer device, despite the software shortcomings.

Humpa

Reaction score
Since this in an Inc forum, most people here will be in favor of the Inc. I haven't tried the Samsung, but from what I've read it seems a good device. I would happily use the Inc or the Samsung as my main phone.

Don't be swayed by the software though. HTC Sense is better than what everyone else has, but that's not really saying much. I replace the Home/Launcher, sms/mms, email, phone/dialer, browser, and whatever as soon as I get a new android device anyway - so there isn't much left from the manufacture that I see anyway. I, too, would be apt to go with the Samsung because it is newer/better hardware specs - the software issue is not as relevant, at least I wouldn't think so.

And as has been recommended already, I'd suggest trying them out in the store and see which display you like better. After all, that is your whole interaction with the device.

m.p. cobra fan

Reaction score
I was just in the same boat as you. I just left AT&T because I get no service in Ft Stewart. I was using a Verizon Storm on AT&Ts network and I hated it.

I looked in to the Dinc, X, 2, and Fascinate. After a couple hours in the Verizon store I decided on the Dinc. I almost went with the X, but could not wait to order it, and after talking to the employees they all recommended the Dinc. The fascinate seemed to be real nice, but after looking at both I chose the Dinc and can't be happier, except for the battery life!

Tsquare

Reaction score
Use them both in the store. Compare everything side by side, contacts, sms, email, everything. I have owned just about every android device for tmobile, at&t, and now verizon and I can not say enough about the Inc. The Sense UI just makes the phone in my opinion. It fills in the gaps in Android OS and really polishes and finishes it. If the Fascinate was able or came with Sense, I would choose it in a heart beat just for the bigger screen. That is the only draw back I have from the inc, its hard to type on. Either way, welcome to Android and enjoy.

OP
P

ppazz1101

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the input.

I've tried them both and I think I'm going with the Fascinate. It's just gorgeous. I'll play with the UI and we'll see how it goes.