Incredible can't connect to 3G network?

cantare

Reaction score
Got my Incredible... still trying to get up and running. The out-of-the-box activation failed, then I spent 50 min on phone with VZW tech getting all the activation info manually entered. Phone works now, but we got stuck trying to get the mobile network connected. It just hangs on "turning on..." and no 3G logo appears. Going outside & walking around didn't help...nor did switching in & out of "airplane mode".

Wifi works no problem with my router (and several of my neighbors' :))

I live in the SF Bay area (Atherton) right off the main drag (El Camino Real)... there are cell towers everywhere. My VZW Razr v9m has no probs connecting to the net to grab apps etc--the EVDO signal is always 3 or 4 bars. I don't see other posts about this problem, just raves... so did I get a lemon phone, or am I just missing something simple?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Got my Incredible... still trying to get up and running. The out-of-the-box activation failed, then I spent 50 min on phone with VZW tech getting all the activation info manually entered. Phone works now, but we got stuck trying to get the mobile network connected. It just hangs on "turning on..." and no 3G logo appears. Going outside & walking around didn't help...nor did switching in & out of "airplane mode".

Wifi works no problem with my router (and several of my neighbors' :))

I live in the SF Bay area (Atherton) right off the main drag (El Camino Real)... there are cell towers everywhere. My VZW Razr v9m has no probs connecting to the net to grab apps etc--the EVDO signal is always 3 or 4 bars. I don't see other posts about this problem, just raves... so did I get a lemon phone, or am I just missing something simple?

Try resetting your PRLs. *228 option 2. If you can't do that then it looks like you're going to the Verizon store.

OP
C

cantare

Reaction score
*228 opt 2 was one of the things the tech had me do... I tried it again, but it didn't change things.

Then I remembered how the oob automatic activation never completed, so I called back and did opt 1 for a complete reprogram. I'm still not on the internet via 3G, but now the connection no longer hangs at "turning on..." -- it goes to "disconnected b/c service is unavailable".

That's more informative, though I'm afraid what it's telling me is that my Incredible's reception sucks compared to my Moto RAZR2 V9m. Exactly how near a tower do you have to be to get good 3G?

Serialkilla

Reaction score
Take it back - don't hesitate. Mine activated with no problems. Full signal,3G, everything. Sounds like a hardware issue.

OP
C

cantare

Reaction score
Update

Well, I put the phone away for a few hours and then tried again around 10PM, toggling Airplane Mode and then turning off WiFi.

This time the 3G logo showed up and the mobile network connected right away. I'm getting reasonable D/L speeds (1 Mbps) with WiFi off. So now it looks like it was circadian variations in the 3G signal at my house...or maybe all you crazy Incredible fanboys activating your phones at once just overloaded everything for a while. :icon_ banana:
Guess I'll see what happens with my connection tomorrow...

Last edited:

nishantp

Reaction score
I've had this problem since Tuesday. Tried reactivating, hard reset, airplane mode toggle, called Verizon, took it to the store. Nothing. Can't get a new one because they are sold out everywhere. A few people seem to have this issue and are able to resolve it, anything else I should try?

OP
C

cantare

Reaction score
I don't have an easy answer... all I know is, I did a *228 reprogram, powered down & charged until late evening, then disabled WiFi and cycled airplane mode, upon which it worked.
The tech implied there was some sort of initial authentication when first connecting to the 3G network that required a strong signal...after which you could use the net even if the quality got worse. If he wasn't just bs'ing, it might be worthwhile taking the phone close to a tower to get that first connection.

bcrigler

Reaction score
Just go to the store and make them fix it or give you a new one.

johnmelbrown

Reaction score
Same issue

I just got the Incredible last week and have enjoyed it. But after a storm this morning the system went weird and I lost my 3g connection. At same time cable and wifi went down so I was in the data dark!

Called Verizon, they saw no problem. Told me to shut down, battery removal. Nothing. Did the *228 update for roaming, nothing.

Finally, I turned off wifi and the phone cycled back unto the 3g signal. Strange. I hope it will not be a regular thing upon restarts.

windstrings

Reaction score
Always be suspicious on a weekend... tons of people play on 3G in the eves.
I noticed yesterday even My download speed dropped to the 200's while my upload maintained in 800's or so..... but it was sporatic.. sometimes it was the other way around.

I blamed it on the Cowboys, Rangers, Titans, tampa bay fans all in one spot.... about 150000 people trying to go home in one stadium and get to the other stadium at the same time!

I suspect in an effort for people to not drop calls and not even be able to connect that the network temporarily limits the bandwidth during very heavy call volumes.
Just a suspicion....

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Always be suspicious on a weekend... tons of people play on 3G in the eves.
I noticed yesterday even My download speed dropped to the 200's while my upload maintained in 800's or so..... but it was sporatic.. sometimes it was the other way around.

I blamed it on the Cowboys, Rangers, Titans, tampa bay fans all in one spot.... about 150000 people trying to go home in one stadium and get to the other stadium at the same time!

I suspect in an effort for people to not drop calls and not even be able to connect that the network temporarily limits the bandwidth during very heavy call volumes.
Just a suspicion....

I would suspect you are onto something with this. Very much akin to the AT&T problem with their data with all of the iPhones. Sometimes it's possible for a system to slow down due to heavier load and even be throttled back to keep transmission lines open.

chaz.ring

Reaction score
yep..... they slow down a lot during peak times.... that's why on AT&T's networks we've been upgrading them for the last 2 years, starting with the big cities and college towns..;) Verizon's network is already overloaded..... just wait untill next year..:icon_eek:

OP... your 3G should not be having these problems... I've had the same things happen to my phones.... even when my wifes had full bars and 3G... get it replaced as I did.... it will only get worse.

windstrings

Reaction score
there is a cool app I use called "speedtest.net speed test"
I runs and keeps a history of speeds from your 3g connection or wifi so you can compare.

When dealing with a network, its not how many bars you have... thats only a depiction of signal strength and even that is not dependable in many cases.

As you know there are tons of other elements in the chain that makes your communication work in a simple data link and a vast network complicates it a hundred fold.

I wouldn't go to the trouble to take your phone back unless you get consistent slow readouts.

When dealing with computers, hardware is rarely the problem, software is rarely inconsistent "either it works or it doesn't" but what "is" inconsistent is networks.... why?

They have variable influences upon which they ride... like
1. How heavy is the load at that particular time?
2. Are there any towers in service or down in your area temporary or otherwise... "usually a prl update catches the otherwise".
3. Sunspot activity "happens day and night... not whether there is daylight showing".
4. Weather such as lightening, or very dry air and wind causing static electricity revealing poorly grounded systems.
We haven't had rain in quite a while in our area... only the best grounded systems do well in near drought conditions.
5. The heavier the load "or" when in areas of sparsely populated with cell towers, only the finest fine tuned systems handle errors well and margins for that error factored in.
The more towers there are, the more to fall back on, but on the other hand, the more room for error.

Not saying phones don't go bad, they get abused quite a bit..... especially if you let your kids play with it!.. LOL!

If your getting connection but the connection is slow, I"m guessing its the network throttling bandwidth to the individual so the whole doesn't go down.

And yes, whether talking about freeways or public services, they all want the populous and cash flowing in before they give the proper infrastructure to support that populous.... one of the faults that has killed AOL "almost online".

At good network invests cash to stay ahead of the curve.

adamspooner

Reaction score
The Most Likely Solution

From home screen: --> menu -->wireless networks --> scroll down to mobile network. That box needs to be checked.