Incredible as WiFi Only device?

Paraleyes

Reaction score
Is it possible to use my Incredible as a Wifi only device and disable the phone altogether? The reason I ask is I just received a brand new replacement from Best Buy that I have yet to activate because I got used to not paying for the DATA plan these past two months while my phone was out for repairs. I am currently using my old VENUS phone through Verizon which does not require any DATA plan. I don't feel like I should have to pay for internet twice from both Comcast & Verizon. I already have a working cell phone. I just want to use my incredible sort of like a WiFi Android Tablet at home for games and searches and such. Then use my VENUS to make calls. Is this possible?

And if so, Will I still be able to buy and use apps from the Android market through my gmail account? Or, will I have to pay for one month of service with it activated in order to load all my old apps I bought already and then deactivate the phone from Verizon afterwords? Is the Google gmail account that associated to my Android apps also associated with Verizon? I'm kinda stuck here. I'd be willing to sell this BNIB if I can't do this, but I don't want to activate it and then find out I won't be able to buy and download any more new apps after I deactivate the phone through Verizon, because the phone would not be worth as much once I open it and activate it.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
No, Smart Phones require a Data plan on Verizon....No way around it.

And yes you apps follow your gmail.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you don't activate it then you can use it for apps/web browsing through wifi.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

cleave

Reaction score
So which is it? I'm curious to know the answer to this too. Does he/she need a data plan to use it for wifi only? However, I'm pretty sure you can't activate it without a plan. Would be nice to know if it could be used as wifi only though.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jnashr

Reaction score
If you don't activate it then you can use it for apps/web browsing through wifi.

This.....I have a couple of phones that are not activated, but I still use the other functions of the phone (wifi, gps, etc}.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Both are..... the post above mine I think was assuming wanted calls etc with it. As long as its not activated then you don't need data plan but if you activate it then you'll need data.

spicoli1980

Reaction score
I gave my 3 year old my D1 and he can do anything other than calls and text as long as the wi-fi is turned on.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Both are..... the post above mine I think was assuming wanted calls etc with it. As long as its not activated then you don't need data plan but if you activate it then you'll need data.

Yes, I was assuming he wanted to make calls with the device but not have a data plan.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes it's possible and it would make a great little media device. You can still put your videos, music, and surf the web through wifi. you can even use skype I believe if you signed up for it.

OP
P

Paraleyes

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys. Yeah, I would not use it to make calls. The thing I'm not sure of though, is will I still be able to buy apps without being activated on Verizon? Just buy them through WiFi?

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers guys. Yeah, I would not use it to make calls. The thing I'm not sure of though, is will I still be able to buy apps without being activated on Verizon? Just buy them through WiFi?

I don't see why you couldn't.

incrediblesense

Reaction score
Yes, if you are not going to use the phone with verizon. Bypassing activation is as easy as just calling activation and hanging up(you have to do it several times then it tells you it can't activate and tells you to contact your carrier so just finishy setup normally). I discovered the activation trick on accident. If you want to use the INC on verizon then NO. I would think best buy will charge for not re-activating the phone. I might be wrong.
Edit: Saw previous posts. Just follow activation bypass above.

OP
P

Paraleyes

Reaction score
Yes, if you are not going to use the phone with verizon. Bypassing activation is as easy as just calling activation and hanging up(you have to do it several times then it tells you it can't activate and tells you to contact your carrier so just finishy setup normally). I discovered the activation trick on accident. If you want to use the INC on verizon then NO. I would think best buy will charge for not re-activating the phone. I might be wrong.
Edit: Saw previous posts. Just follow activation bypass above.
Yeah, I did the same thing as you. Hung up two times and then was able to skip to the next step.

While I was at Best Buy, I told them I was in a hurry and would activate it on my own. Original plan was to just sell. As of now, I'm using the Incredible just like I always had in the past. Plus Skype is an added bonus on WiFi. I use my old VENUS for calls outside of WiFi which is rare since my area has a pretty wide HotSpot in town. Saves me the DATA plan.

This little device makes a pretty Incredible little tablet.dancedroid

spider210

Reaction score
Pageplus?? That's an option.. not promoting then just saying

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk