in-call facial proximity: bug or feature?

stevevetter

Reaction score
Okay,

I've recently come from using a Moto Droid since it first came out to the DCI recently.

One thing I find perplexing is the behavior in call about the screen activation. I'm used to and enjoy the magic of deactivating/activating the screen when it's near your face during a call (always assumed this was via the light sensor).

However with the DCI, unlike my Moto, I can use the power button to 'lock' the screen, however it appears with the light sensor sensor the screen still comes on.

It took me a bit to figure that this was the problem rather than some accelerometer feature. The scenario that is problematic is when you start a call (say a conf. call), lock the screen, then put the phone in your pocket. Then you pull the phone our of your pocket (say to mute/unmute) and when it sees light it activates the screen. With the sensitivity of this screen, it's easy to then hit it and drop the call or whatever.

Bug or feature?

I'm starting to use the search now (new to this forum), but I'm on said conf. call and wanted to get this out before I forgot the issue (multi-tasking = doing 2 things poorly at the same time ).

Thanks for any input.