ICS Update, general question about it

spgood

Reaction score
Long story short my OG droid broke a few months ago and I've been rocking my friends HTC Ozone so I have been waiting and waiting. Now that there and finally some new phones coming out there's one thing that partly worries me. First off, I want the nexus, it just looks amazing to me and ICS looks awesome. So then come along the Razr and Rezound and in my opinion they have better specs. Wahh wahh I understand specs aren't everything so here in lies my question regarding the ICS update that will eventually come to the Razr and Rezound...

What is going to happen with the buttons on both of these phones? Since it appears that ICS is designed to be for a phone with all screen and no touch sensitive buttons. I would assume they are going to use them but just wondering if this has been talked about.

Thanks!

googlelover

Reaction score
Long story short my OG droid broke a few months ago and I've been rocking my friends HTC Ozone so I have been waiting and waiting. Now that there and finally some new phones coming out there's one thing that partly worries me. First off, I want the nexus, it just looks amazing to me and ICS looks awesome. So then come along the Razr and Rezound and in my opinion they have better specs. Wahh wahh I understand specs aren't everything so here in lies my question regarding the ICS update that will eventually come to the Razr and Rezound...

What is going to happen with the buttons on both of these phones? Since it appears that ICS is designed to be for a phone with all screen and no touch sensitive buttons. I would assume they are going to use them but just wondering if this has been talked about.

Thanks!
Nothing going to happen to the buttons, they will be used exactly the same as they were in Gingerbread (AFAIK), but do you really think google would forget about all the phones that already have buttons? Btw spec wise its Nexus>Rezound/razr Nexus processor is better than both of those phones processors, GPU is better also, the camera SHOULD be better on the nexus, but we wont know that until we get the phones. Only thing the nexus is lacking is an SD card. I'm curious as to what you think is better spec'd on the other phones?

tno

Reaction score
The entire OS is pretty modular, it utilizes what is or isn't in hardware. So, any phones that have hardware buttons will continue to use them, and the soft-buttons built into the system will be omitted.

As far as the actual specs of the phones, don't be so quick to jump to conclusions and misconceptions. FUD persists. And I wouldn't take too much stock in x>y comparisons. But let's take a look at the specs. The Nexus and the RAZR have variants of the TI OMAP 4 SoC running equivalent CPU clock speeds (OMAP 4460 and OMAP 4430, respectively). They differ in the GPU clock speed but they are the same GPU as well (PowerVR SGX 540 at 384 MHz in the Nexus and 304 MHz in the RAZR). The Rezound uses an MSM8660 Qualcomm SoC that uses an Adreno 220 GPU, it's clocked at 1.5 GHz for the CPU and should compare well with the TI. So basically, the hardware differences aren't huge.

What you should really take into consideration is the software. Every manufacturer take steps to optimize the software to their hardware, and some succeed more than others. Previously we have been impressed with Samsung's abilities, particularly their ability to leverage the GPU for UI and browsing. In our hands-on time with the device Motorola impressed with a Sunspider score that tops the iPhone 4S http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4971/41963.png so they obviously have their developers doing something right. Until the next generation of SoC's comes out the software side will be where most of the differentiation comes, so I would hold out for reviews to start coming out before putting my money down.

Jason