ICS reception issue?

neverused

Reaction score
I finally managed to upgrade my RAZR to ICS manually yesterday; however, now it seems that my 4G connection is poorer than before. For example, at work I used to have full/ almost full bars for 4G and now I only pick up 3G.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or know how to correct it?

Thank you,
neverused

moose600

Reaction score
I am also noticing a drop in connection strength since ICS upgrade. Typically 1 or 2 bars less than os 2.3.6. Prior to upgrade phone reception was stellar, now have occasional dropped calls in locations that were fine previously and call quality seems just a little less clear on all calls. In addition it appears that 4G is not connecting consistently in areas where it was before. Other issues as well, but connection strength is biggest concern.

Thanks,
moose600

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Same problem here. Now my razr has exact same signal strength and reception as my nexus, aka piss poor. I'd gladly go back to gb if it was possible.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
I've had slightly better 4g signal at home. Consistent 2 bars as opposed to 5 bar 3g before ICS. It may be a temporary issue associated with Verizon's towers. I would compare signal with another RAZR in a store to see if it's systemic or your phone.

stang64

Reaction score
Same issues here. I hope it doesn't get as bad as it was when GB hit the X2.

chinkster

Reaction score
same here. at work i had 5 bars and now i only have 2. this was on 3G. i can't even get 4g now at work!

AndroidKachi7

Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed my 4G signal has gotten weaker. Normally, in Fremont, I had a full 4G connection, no drops and full signal strength. Now, I don't even get half the signal strength and it drops constantly. ICS definitely weakened my signals on all radios.. hope they fix this soon. :/

bkirk22

Reaction score
Same problem here too. Called tech support. Said they are beginning to hear others having the same problem. They are opening a case but not getting my hopes up.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Check out this thread about reception: Signal Strength

In short, ICS represents the signal differently (and more accurately) in the bars that you see. Also, the bars are not the best way to gauge your signal strength. Look at the real signal: Settings -> About phone -> Status -> Network type and strength. That number is your actual signal strength. Chances are, in most cases, you actually have the same reception that you had on Gingerbread. Gingerbread just represented the signal less accurately, making you think you had better reception than you did.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a feeling these types of threads were gonna pop up...lol.

Just rememebr to go by real world use....if you are actually getting worse reception than before: slow speeds, dropped calls, thats another story. My speeds and reception didnt get worse...just the bars and decibels did.

bkirk22

Reaction score
I upgraded to the Razr Maxx three weeks ago. My previous phone, a Droid 2, did not have good reception at my home. I had to sit by a window on the west side of my house to place a call. All of that changed the day I bought the Razr Maxx. It showed better reception, and I could place calls from anywhere in the house without dropping calls or breaking up. The day I upgraded to ICS, I was back to sitting next to the window. The Razr Maxx actually HAD better reception/signal before the upgrade.

fixitman123

Reaction score
Same problems here. I haven't had 4g where I live but had excellent 3g service, now, after ics, 3g is almost nonexistent. This sucks to say the least. I hope they come up with a fix:angry:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are yall going by actual real world use...or bars and decibels? Gotta remember it shows differently on ICS. My signal looks worse...but actual use it isnt. If you are having worse data speeds and calls breaking up or dropping...thats different.

fdisker

Reaction score
I'm seeing it in real world use and bars and decibels. Prior to the ICS update I was hovering in the high 80s in my home office and the data connection never dropped. After the update my I'm at -105 to -110 and 4G is dropping pretty regularly. I'm not handling the phone when this happens. It's sitting on the desk beside me. There is a problem with the radios. Someone in another thread recommended installing the Moto app "Restore Connectivity" from the market. I installed it tonight and will see if it helps. No data drops since I installed it.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I'm seeing it in real world use and bars and decibels. Prior to the ICS update I was hovering in the high 80s in my home office and the data connection never dropped. After the update my I'm at -105 to -110 and 4G is dropping pretty regularly. I'm not handling the phone when this happens. It's sitting on the desk beside me. There is a problem with the radios. Someone in another thread recommended installing the Moto app "Restore Connectivity" from the market. I installed it tonight and will see if it helps. No data drops since I installed it.

The restore connectivity app is only for correcting the LTE settings on the phone when another app (most notably a battery saving app) messes the settings up. And it's something you have to open and run (just having it installed doesn't do anything. When you run the app, it will correct the settings and then restart your phone. But even then, if you have an app installed that is changing the settings of the LTE, after a reboot the app in question will eventually change your settings again. Uninstalling the offending app would do more good than the restore connectivity app will do. So, it's not the sort of thing to install and run if you think you're having general reception issues. It won't do you any good in that regard.