I thought forums were to discuss not to restrict talk

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Case in point: there was a thread on here yesterday that linked to the interview with koush. Now, the title was misleading, but instead of changing the title or pm'ing the op and discussing it, it was closed. Unnecessarily so if you ask me. .

If its the thread I saw I know a bunch of threads got closed and some notices went up in the dev section about flaming each other. A lot of threads were popping up that had no new information and was a lot of venting which was responded to in kind where folks started picking sides. I can see where a couple innocent threads might get caught up, especially when the title is misleading, and especially if it looks like the misleading title wasn't a typo but was done to feed the drama. I did read an interview with Koush in it and enjoyed it. It's nice to find out a little about those who make and work on stuff that benefits us.

You know what, I have been running forums for year and here are my issues.

1. Rude - When closing or responding to a question that has been asked/answered already, instead of being nice and saying "Hey look at this thread" There are some that are anal retentive.

2. The search function of this forum software suck. It is hard to find exact answers without searching a gazillion post and threads. There are a lot here. So it is just easier just to ask again.

I post this without reading the second page, so I see other have the same issue. Good grief we post something and get our heads ripped off and handed to us on a platter.

Thus why I joined another competing forum. I don't see that harshness there.

When running a forum you have to have some tact here and there, even if the poster frustrates you.

You get a further with sugar water than you do with Vinegar.

1- Thats a bummer, I hate when I see that too. It sucks.
However, for the op here it appears he was given a link that had the answers he needed and that the mod closed the thread in a manner that explained why and was looking out for the op in doing so.

I also fail to see where the OP had his head ripped off. The thread was closed to prevent others from flaming him, though I do seldom see huge flames here considering the overall number of posts. Sorry if that happened to you. That is exactly why Nate closed the thread...to prevent that kind of thing happening to him.

2 - I agree. Specific issues don't always show up in the search engine and if that doesn't work searching Google for "site:droidforums.net vlc" will give you results. The forum is broken down into various sections with stickies too. But, that wasn't the op's issue at all. He asked a question and was pointed to the thread that had his answer in it. The downside to closing the thread would have been if he did not find his answer or it wasn't exactly what he needed. Then he would have had to have started another thread instead of continuing his conversation.

Again, I doubt the poster frustrated Nate. I've seen Nate help lots of people and often times its the same answer given to previous folks yet he keeps doing it.

Competing forum? I thought the info was for all? I've sent people to links that help them on at least 3 other sites from time to time.

Anyways, have a great weekend!