I thought forums were to discuss not to restrict talk

jchavez

Reaction score
Hi people, I posted a message about rooting a motorola droid, and a moderator got offended, I felt like a stupid person, I tought questions were meant to be asked, natediddy1120 a moderator closed my thread, of course I can research on the internet about this, there is nothing we can ask that has not been asked somewere, but I thought somebody could give me a rough idea, thats it.

sorry if I ask the wrong questions

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Hi people, I posted a message about rooting a motorola droid, and a moderator got offended, I felt like a stupid person, I tought questions were meant to be asked, natediddy1120 a moderator closed my thread, of course I can research on the internet about this, there is nothing we can ask that has not been asked somewere, but I thought somebody could give me a rough idea, thats it.

Yea, nate can be a little confrontational. But overall the mods do a great job. Just ask again and we will answer it. Or try the search function.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
That's a fair point, but I think some people get frustrated that newcomers might not spend any time searching for answers that already exist and simply hammer the same questions over and over. There's a happy medium to be sure - take some time to search and if you still can't find what you need, ask. It's likely that whatever you need to ask has already been asked before. One suggestion is if you are having difficulty with the search function in the forum, try using Google as you'll often see links back to this site. You can even do something like "root access site:www.droidforums.net" and google will only search droidforums.

I hope the rest of your experience here is pleasant though, there's a lot of great info to be had.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Was a link given to a thread that answered your question?

Droidfish

Reaction score
I read that thread and have to say the mods handled it well, Natediddy pointed you right to the hack section where you can find an abundance of the information you were seeking in the op. I wouldn't take offense as I don't think the mod was trying to offend you.

Overall this is one of the friendlier forums I've been on stick around and I'm sure you'll agree.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Hello jchavez,

The reason the thread was closed is because you were already linked to the answer of your question which was "What is rooting?"

There is a sticky on the subject and nate was only trying to cut down on the duplicate threads.

He was actually very nice to you. I have copied his reply.

There are stickies, and multiple threads on rooting. I'm gonna close this for the sake of the OP to not get flamed, because I care...check the hacking section

Please do not take it personal. It's to keep the forums clean and you were given the proper link.

Welcome aboard and enjoy your stay jchavez.....

OP
jchavez

jchavez

Reaction score
yes, nate gave me the link, but I felt like I made a mistake in asking this, thanks for your help guys.

jev

Reaction score
As far as the search goes, the engine could be a little better. There has been times when I have searched for a specific thing only to have 2-3 pages of thread show up that have little or no relation to the topic I searched for. It does seem to me lately that the mods have been going a bit far in the closing/deleting of threads. Case in point: there was a thread on here yesterday that linked to the interview with koush. Now, the title was misleading, but instead of changing the title or pm'ing the op and discussing it, it was closed. Unnecessarily so if you ask me. That's just one example that comes to mind. I do see the need to police a site such as this for multiple posts of multiple posts, there also needs to be a balance of modding. Just one mans opinion.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
yes, nate gave me the link, but I felt like I made a mistake in asking this, thanks for your help guys.
no worries : )

Mistakes happen.

I'm just glad you found what you were looking for.

Have a great day.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just to throw out my
2cents.gif
the search feature here sucks.... ok, it's a fair mixture of sucks and returns way too many pages of potential results. But I always try it first. Hell, usually if there's a thread that I've read that had the answer, I usually CAN'T find it using the search.

That being said... where's my drink? My weekend has officially started! :icon_ banana:

orangepeel

Reaction score
Overall this is one of the friendlier forums I've been on stick around and I'm sure you'll agree.

Yes it is. I just pray that the mods never let it turn into a certain Blackberry forum....and I know CK knows which one I'm talking about.:wink:

ljprevo

Reaction score
You know what, I have been running forums for year and here are my issues.

1. Rude - When closing or responding to a question that has been asked/answered already, instead of being nice and saying "Hey look at this thread" There are some that are anal retentive.

2. The search function of this forum software suck. It is hard to find exact answers without searching a gazillion post and threads. There are a lot here. So it is just easier just to ask again.

I post this without reading the second page, so I see other have the same issue. Good grief we post something and get our heads ripped off and handed to us on a platter.

Thus why I joined another competing forum. I don't see that harshness there.

When running a forum you have to have some tact here and there, even if the poster frustrates you.

You get a further with sugar water than you do with Vinegar.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know what, I have been running forums for year and here are my issues.

1. Rude - When closing or responding to a question that has been asked/answered already, instead of being nice and saying "Hey look at this thread" There are some that are anal retentive.

2. The search function of this forum software suck. It is hard to find exact answers without searching a gazillion post and threads. There are a lot here. So it is just easier just to ask again.

I post this without reading the second page, so I see other have the same issue. Good grief we post something and get our heads ripped off and handed to us on a platter.

Thus why I joined another competing forum. I don't see that harshness there.

When running a forum you have to have some tact here and there, even if the poster frustrates you.

You get a further with sugar water than you do with Vinegar.

In all fairness to nate the title of the darn thread is "This is what rooting means - stop asking." Unfortunately we cannot change that title. Now I don't know how exactly nate responded but I'll bet it was the "Stop Asking" in the title that offended the OP.

I always apologize for the title when I have to give it out. I can see where it would leave a bad taste in one's mouth. But we're kind of stuck with it now, I've looked into getting it changed and nothing can be done.

Last edited: