I think I bricked my Droid?

Matt_Torres

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out how to do a Nandroid Backup and next thing i know my Droid is off. I tried to boot it back up but it gives me the motorola M but thats it. It give me a black screen but the light is on still. What do you suggest? Keep in mind im kinda new to this stuff

djdzam

Reaction score
SBF restore.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Banksy

Reaction score
Boot into your Bootloader (Up and Power button) and flash the SPRecovery SBF file via RSD Lite, and you should be good :)

sci

Reaction score
can you explain this a little better, I am brand new to this , my m shows then it goes to boot 2c6c at top then about middle screen it says battery okay ready for programing connect to usb please help

Banksy

Reaction score
Things you are going to need.

RSD Lite 4.9

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/Global_Drivers/USB_Drivers_32_bit_4.6.5.zip <-- 32 Bit Drivers

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...s/Global_Drivers/USB_Drivers_64_bit_4.6.5.zip <-- 64 bit Drivers

http://bit.ly/RO_SPR_SBF - Recovery SBF File

http://bit.ly/MC1_CR_11 - Complete Root Update File.

======================================================================================================

Detailed Procedure:
Attach your phone to your computer.

Unzip the SBF file that you downloaded in Step 4 of "things you're going to need" above. This will produce the file MC1_A855_1282081087_Recovery-Only_SPRecovery_0.99.3b.sbf.

Do not unzip the MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip file that you downloaded in Step 5 of "things you're going to need". You need to copy this file to the root of your phone's SD card and then rename it to update.zip. Note: If on your computer you see the file listed as "MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update" (no .zip on the end) then when you copy it to the phone you should name it just "update" (no ".zip"). There are several ways to do this (ADB, mount the phone's file system, etc.). Use which ever you're comfortable with. If you don't know how to do this there are tons of posts on it.

Power down your phone normally.

Once the phone is off, slide open the keyboard and press on the "up" direction of the directional keypad rocker (the direction toward the screen -- which could really be to the right depending on how you're holding the phone) [pic]. While holding the dpad in the up direction, simultaneously press and hold the power button of the phone. When you see the backlight of the screen come on you can release the power button and the bootloader screen should appear (it will say "Bootloader" in the upper left corner). You can release the dpad. At the bottom of the text on the screen it should say "Transfer Mode: USB" if your cable is properly connected.

Start RSD Lite on your computer. If you're on a version of Windows newer than XP, remember to run RSD Lite as administrator by right clicking its menu choice and choosing "Run as Administrator". If you don't have such an option, you may be able to right click on the shortcut, choose "properties", and check "Run this program as Administrator" [pic].

Hopefully the phone will be listed in the grid in the bottom half of the RSD Lite window. Give it a minute or two if it doesn't show up right away. Sometimes it takes Windows a minute (or 2 or 3) to let go of the phone and pick it back up again after rebooting into the bootloader. If after a couple minutes your phone still isn't listed in the "Model" column of the bottom section, in RSD Lite, click Config, Device Id Options, and choose "First-Come-First-ServeDeviceId Mode" and press "OK". RSD Lite may say you need to restart RSD -- if so, do so.

Assuming that you now can see your phone listed, click the "..." button to the right of the "Filename:" box. Find the SBF file you unzipped earlier and choose it. After choosing the file the right hand File details pane will fill in.

OK, this step is where you are going to press "Start" in RSD Lite, but don't do that yet. Before you press Start, read step 10. Step 10 has some timing sensitive tasks. If your phone has functioning FRS (discussed earlier), and you do step 10 wrong, you will have to start back over with this step as the FRS will undo the flash you just did with RSD. Once you've read Step 10 and know what you'll be doing next, go ahead and press Start.

After clicking Start, the flashing process goes through several distinct steps. This particular SBF file is very small so it finishes pretty quickly. At some point there will be a bit of a delay with RSD Lite showing a status of "Phone[0000]: Waiting for re-enumeration". After that is when the actual flashing happens. When the flashing has completed, RSD Lite is going to issue a "reboot-bootloader" command to your phone. Unfortunately the Droid does not appear to implement the reboot-bootloader command correctly and does a normal reboot instead. If you don't "catch the boot" by holding up on the dpad key the OS will boot (and if you have functioning FRS the custom recovery you just flashed on will be put back to stock). Just before sending the reboot instruction to your phone the status in RSD Lite will change to "Phone[0000]: Phone is being rebooted". On your phone the screen will change to "SW Update Complete" (unless the message has been changed by the person who built the SBF) and your phone will reboot within a second or two. You want to be already holding the dpad key up when the phone actually reboots. If you followed the instructions for Step 9 you have pre-read this step and knew to be ready for this. If not, your phone is probably already rebooted into the OS. If you failed to catch the boot, and the OS booted, let the phone finish booting, then power it off, hold the dpad up and power it back on. After that, continue through the steps like nothing happened. If your recovery got flashed back to stock we'll know it soon enough.

You should now be looking at the bootloader on the phone, and RSD Lite should still be saying "Phone[0000]: Phone is being rebooted". If too much time has passed RSD Lite may be saying "Please manually boot the phone". The "Progress" value on the screen will keep incrementing, and at some point before, or at, 100% the result should change to "PASS".

Power the phone off again. With the keyboard open, press and hold the "X" key on the physical keyboard and keep it held while you power the phone on. Once the phone comes on you can release the power button, but keep the "X" button held until you see the the Motorola logo.

When recovery starts, if you are presented with a screen with a gold colored android in the center that says "Patched by SirPsychoS (0.99.3b) on the second line of text (like this), you're in SPRecovery. If however you are presented with a screen with no text, and a graphic of a triangle with an exclamation point in it and an arrow pointing to a phone (looks like this), you're in stock recovery. If it's the latter, either you failed to catch the boot and your phone has functioning FRS (and it put your recovery back to stock) or something else odd happened (not likely). In any event, if you're in stock recovery you can't proceed so your only choice is to go back to Step 9 and try again. If you're in SPRecovery, congratulations -- move to the next step.

In the SPRecovery menu, use the volume up/down keys to highlight "install" and use the camera button to choose it.

Now highlight "Allow update.zip Installation" and choose it. [It will appear to do nothing -- that's normal. If you're unsure if you clicked it or not, choose it twice, it won't hurt.]

Finally, highlight "Install /sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)" and choose it.

The install should run to conclusion pretty quickly. When it's done it should look like this. If it does, congratulations, you're done. You're rooted with busybox, SPRecovery, and your FRS is now disabled so you won't revert back to stock recovery the next time you boot the OS. Enjoy!
Thanks to everyone who tested out these files and the procedures, and provided feedback to improve the procedures where they were at all confusing. Specific thanks to ChrisTim, Palantirion, skylordusa1, greeknasty, and 0chilly. Deepest apologies to anybody I missed.

Comments, suggestions, feedback, etc. welcome. This topic can also be used if you're having trouble. Plenty of folks are familiar with how to do all of the above, so it doesn't have to be me that helps unless you end up with a strange issue that has to do with my files specifically.

P.S. Yes, I know you can do this easier with EasyRoot and ROM Manager. If you're happy doing it that way, by all means, stick with it.

P.P.S. A question in this topic by "zero7404" illuminated that while there may be plenty of "how to" detail in this post, there's very little "why". I've added "A little about what you're doing and why" below to remedy that. It is of course optional, but the more you know, the better, right?

kennyb

Reaction score
I had a similar issue when doing backup w ROM Manager. Pulled battery for awhile and all was OK.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

jaycook777

Reaction score
RSD Lite sbf window stays blank.

Help. I am using Windows 7, I went into program properties by right clicking on the shortcut for rsd lite under programs, and chose "run program as administrator". But when I open my sbf file "VRZ_MB810_2.3.15_1FF_01.sbf", the "file properties" window inside of RSD Lite stays blank.

Thanks,
Jay

jaycook777

Reaction score
I took the files and transferred them to my laptop. It worked! My desktop is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and so is my laptop. f%$k if I know why the sbf file would open inside of RSD Lite on my laptop and not my desktop.dancedroid