I think I fried my droid

clwither

Reaction score
Well, as the title states I think I broke my droid. Im running Smoked Glass 4.5 overclocked to 1.1ghz.

It all started the last couple of days I was having issues with my phone using the 2.1, so i decided to completely start fresh, with removing nandroid, root, busybox, and all of that. After running 2.0.1 and getting my data loaded and such i installed smoked glass 4.5. It ran fine for the past few days with the ocassional FC, along with wifi tethering, and the over clock at 1.1ghz with the corresponding power saving protocols.

Last night the screen went black with the keyboard lit as well as the soft buttons on the front of the screen, and would not come out of the standby state so i decided to do a battery pull. After the battery pull the Motorola logo came on for a few seconds, went off, and proceeded to give me a black screen... Its black screened since then.

[Edit] This black screen is of course a black screen with what appears to be the black light lit

I've tried a combination of pulling the battery with the phone plugged up and such, but no luck with recreating the Motorola logo.

I thought the battery in the phone was dead so I left it on the charger for the majority of the night... .

Wierd thing is that the phone is actually recognized through ADB, however i am not really able to access anything on the sdcard.

Any thoughts?

OP
C

clwither

Reaction score
Yeah no recovery mode =\.. I actually use nandroid, that was my first thought. I know i have it on the Smoked Glass image because its required to install.

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah no recovery mode =\.. I actually use nandroid, that was my first thought. I know i have it on the Smoked Glass image because its required to install.

this may be a world-first frying... i think you should be proud :icon_ devil:

anyway, try to flash with rsdlite and sbf

OP
C

clwither

Reaction score

this may be a world-first frying... i think you should be proud :icon_ devil:

anyway, try to flash with rsdlite and sbf

Yeahhhh, I actually located the RSD Lite tool while waiting for a reply to the thread, so i thank you BayouFlyFisher and wuyanks. Unfortunately, when i connect the phone and put the phone into the "flash" mode and press start on the application, nothing happens....

Do you think the heat got to the processor? I have a body glove on the phone, but the phone has always remained pretty cool to the touch for me, except when it was charging

OP
C

clwither

Reaction score
In terms of this hardware issue, do you think that Verizon will be able to tell that the processor was over clocked?

loop4zil

Reaction score
In terms of this hardware issue, do you think that Verizon will be able to tell that the processor was over clocked?

I would be shocked if they could diagnose that in the store. Besides, what is the worst that could happen at this point? Give it a whirl...see if they hook you up with a new or refurb droid.

OP
C

clwither

Reaction score
I would be shocked if they could diagnose that in the store. Besides, what is the worst that could happen at this point? Give it a whirl...see if they hook you up with a new or refurb droid.[/QUOTE]

I really don't want to fork money for a new droid, but if the processor has fried theres I don't see any way on how they could tell ya know. and if im the first one to do this then they wouldn't have any knowledge =]

Queeg

Reaction score
I experienced very similar problems with my Droid and it was not overclocked and ran "box stock" 2.0.1. I tried to perform the Factory Reset and could only get as far as GMail sign-in. Opening the slider, changing the orientation of the phone, and even setting it down would cause it to brick out or re-start.

Battery pulls worked at first but after a few tries, it failed to work.

I returned it to Verizon where they tolde me of "known issues" for which they are issuing a software patch. They swapped out my phone no questions asked.

Maybe your issues are related...

shafer5

Reaction score
I'd just call customer service and go that route. They will send you a new phone next day air.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
C

clwither

Reaction score
I lol'd!! I missed my droid ALL day. You guys have no idea, but its ok =) Im just now getting the phone back and it is now root with nandroid =) and Smoked Glass 4.5...

Yes i learned my lesson and no i wont overclock that high again!!

Congratulations to me, I broke the droid hardware. VZW said that that the "display" had burned out. I replied by smiling and saying ok =) can you replace it for me with a new droid =). She did... or at least she said it was new. Anyway, it came in a box that said Like-New... It concerned me so I asked her again to verify that it was new. Either way, I have my phone back

OP
C

clwither

Reaction score
Like-new is a refurb. FYI.

Yeah, I felt like she lied to me lol. Although she did say that, this new set of SKU numbers were new phones...

Im not going to loose to much sleep over that. I just wanted my **** phone back :icon_ banana: