I removed my gmail account: do I really have to reset my Droid???

DroidDunce

Reaction score
When I first got my Droid I wound up with a tempory gmail account. I finally decided to set up a 'real' gmail account. So I went to the web, deleted my old account and created a new one. Bad Idea!!!

Now when I go to my mobile (Motorola Droid) I can't access the Market. It's trying to access my deleted account. I can't get any updates for the same reason. The only solution I've found for this is that I must reset my Droid and lose all my apps, data, etc. So here are my questions:

1. Do I REALLY have to reset my Droid? Please, say it aint so!!!
2. If I do, how do I get back the apps I paid for? From what I've read, the Market keeps track of the apps I bought based on the google account that I deleted. Is there some way to replace that account with my new one?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Short answer, yes. Long answer, you'll lose your apps, unless you want to contact Google and see what they will do for you.

OP
D

DroidDunce

Reaction score
Do you have any advice on contacting Google? Would you suggest going to their Tech support web page, or would you recommend trying to find a phone number and a real person? How good is their tech support? I haven't dealt with them before.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You could contact Verizon and see what advice they offer. You can't be the only person who deleted their gmail account. You might luck out. Or maybe you can just recreate the same gmail userid? It might not be all connected though.

OP
D

DroidDunce

Reaction score
I tried recreating the userid that I deleted. Google no longer allowed that name.