I need help with droid when im sleeping

razorboi

Reaction score
Hello

This is my first post, so please dont flame me if this question was answered somewhere else on the forums, If so I wasnt able to find them but here goes my question.

I have a job where I can be called at any time. at all hours of the night. I had a blackberry and now I have a droid x.

when I want to sleep, Yet be able to get calls but not any alerts of notifications how can I do this?

For clarification, I want to be able to have a phone setting that will allow me to have calls come through but not to be alerted when I have a new email or txt message while I am sleeping.

I hope you all can help me, So I oh so humbly ask for your help

Thank you

TwerpPoet

Reaction score
Quickest solution:

Go into Settings / Display / Volume. Uncheck the box that says 'Use incoming call volume for notifications" and set the Notification slider all the way to the left. When you want to hear the notifications again you'll have to go back in and slide the volume up.

I keep mine quite low, so that I only hear them when it's quiet and the phone is on or right next to me.

I believe there are some apps that will let you change settings based on time and/or location, but I don't remember their names. If someone doesn't come along with a suggestion you can poke around the Market and see what turns up. Try searching for volume control and/or volume schedule. I saw a few that looked like they might do the trick.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whoisit.
You can create a white list of the only notifications, and phone calls that will chime when phone is set to silent.
Support Our Troops!! UltraKeyboarded from a wifi monolith.

Reaction score
I use an app named Bedside for this. I turn it on when I get into bed and it brigs up a nice dimmed digital clock. It is setup to deny all calls except those I explicitly allow. I figure if my family are going to either call me or text me in the middle of the night it is pretty important - so I have those phone numbers whitelisted. All other notifications are turned off.

You can automate this using Setting Profiles. I am boringly consistent when it comes to my sleep habits. So I set it up to turn on Bedside if it is between 10:00pm and 6:00am AND IF it is docked. Once either of those conditions are false Bedside is killed which will then turn on all the normal notifications.

Hope this helps.

CC

R

RETG

I admit, the BB is easier to set up and the software comes with the phone, and I have mine, for work, set to to go into sleep mode from 10 to 7, I also have a X for private use. I also want the X to allow phone calls only at night for personal reasons (I have no land line).

So, I use a program called Timerific. (Free in the market place.)

Basically, at 10:00 PM everyday, it allows phone calls to ring, all other items are shut down either by turning off (like Bluetooth), screen dims to 25% for the alarm clock or just the notifications are turned to zero. (Nice thing about this app is it will allow all calls to come through, not just the ones you program into the app. Can't cover all bases with only programmed numbers. Had a friend call me a few months ago from the hospital. He had been in an accident, his cell phone was in the truck, he was in the hospital, he called me on a payphone. So, to cover any chance of an emergency, I needed an app that would allow all calls to come through.)
At 7:00 AM, all notifications come back on.

Takes some learning, but it does work, and you cannot beat the price. (Although if I keep an app for over a month, I do send a small payment (going rate for apps - about $3.00) to the developer. Otherwise, I fear they will not continue work on the app to fix bugs, which so far I have not found any in this app, and to possibly give it more features.)

Last edited by a moderator:

techRob

Reaction score
That last two apps sound great IMO :)
I use "Volume Toggle (Free)" .. you create different profiles for what volume levels you want to use for each item (and vibrate on or off for a few things), and it comes with a widget you can drop on the screen; whenever you want to change to a different profile just tap the widget and it moves on to the next profile in your list.

It's great for people like me that have no consistent sleeping habits, but do have friends that will txt in the dead of the night (after midnight) or crack of dawn (before i'm up) - and naturally i want to hear when i get a txt or notification at work, but I don't want to disturb others around me, so i have a profile that I set the volume of everything low enough to where i can *barely* hear anything when the phone is in my pocket.

I just like the widget; so when I go to bed, I tap the widget a couple times to switch to the "Bedtime" profile, and the only noise that comes from my phone is the alarm in the morning :)

harrellj

Reaction score
Locale and Tasker are also profile creation apps, Tasker being the most powerful (but has a learning curve as a result).

OP
R

razorboi

Reaction score
I want to thank you all for your help and suggestions. I see my thread also helped a few others as well. I will try the spa and see which suit me better

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I admit, the BB is easier to set up and the software comes with the phone
It's a double-edged sword though. You're also stuck with what's delivered with the BB.

mcnamara556

Reaction score
thanks to all

...just a note to thank you all for this thread.
I'm a newbie too with same questions re:bb sleepytime.
Took C Canucks suggestion - just downloaded bedside.
looks perfect for me.
this forum rocks.
...so everybody who took the time to chime in....thanks so much!!!
:)
Thin Ice

ballmore

Reaction score
I like Audio Manager. You can set different profiles. You can put skins on it to better match your theme/wallpaper. You can use either an icon, a widget, or pin the app to your notification bar. The app doesn't normaly look like it does in the screenshot below. It is themed with the Breeze theme that is made for the Ultimate Droid. I like Audio Manager though I will admit that I haven't tried all of the apps that was previously mentioned in the other post yet.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions.
I knew there was a post of these, someone had mentioned it one time but I never think of it until I go to sleep and silence my phone. I'll try the first suggestion and see how it work and move on if needed.