I made my own car mount. Take a Look!

mremptywallet

Reaction score
DIY Car Mount. Take a Look!

Hey guys.

Just looking for a little feed back. I wanted to design my own car mount because I REALLY didn't want another thing sticking off my windshield or out of a cup holder so I wanted to build it myself. This a the 2nd version of it and im already planing the next version to be a solid black Plexiglas instead of the clear. You will know why when you see the pics. Take a look and let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

4160353781_bf8f3e3923.jpg

4194367588_6f532e4c46.jpg

4194374622_0246bdc8bd.jpg

4194368560_7b5072a03c.jpg

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
why don't you create a box big enough to fit in that compartment, considering the Droid would be blocking it anyway. You can easily slip it in and out.

My idea: make a custom box to fit in that compartment with the case on it. So all you do is slide your Droid in the case when you wanna dock it. It would also look more clean without that bezel, but that could fall under personal taste too.

just my 2 cents

great job and concept!

redruler

Reaction score
Hey that looks pretty good.

Give us some more details on what equipment was used. I'd like to try something like that.

catsailr

Reaction score
I have an 08 CRV but it has the box much lower on the dash. Your setup looks good, but does it pick up the satelite signals for navigation at that location?

OP
M

mremptywallet

Reaction score
This was the best way I could think of to keep the phone in reach, out of the way and look very clean. Here is what I used to build it.

If you want more step by step instructions just let me know.

1 sheet of Plexiglas
1 Motorola Droid snap on case
2 Cellet Black Universal Cell Phone Swivel Belt Clip with Vehicle Mount. Find it here at Amazon

And some double side stick tape

I actually took the Plexiglas to a trophy shop of all places to get it laser cut. I wanted a clean precise cut and my Dremel didn't do such a good job on my first attempt. It was decent though, enough to make a temple to give to the trophy shop and have them make the final version. Like I said though, the next version will be a black Plexiglas because I didn't realize the double side stick tape was gray and not black. Once that is done I think it will look even better, along with rounded off corners.

The other thing I was planning on doing was making a small cut on the left side so I can feed my audio cable threw the back of it and keep the cable hidden.

Last edited:

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
naah, he has a cover on it in the pic, but doesnt that make it kinda fugly if in your hand? Or do you only use that bottom cover in the car?

JCapricorn

Reaction score
That's awesome! The sheer creativity of the users around here never stops to amaze me!

OP
M

mremptywallet

Reaction score
Catsailr, Satellite signals is not a problem, everything work perfectly so far.

Slothead, Right now its just more double side stick tape but I will most likely use some epoxy to make it permanent once im completely happy with everything. RW-1 is right, they are attached to a back plate from the Droid case.

RW-1, I actually leave the back plate in the car when im not driving. My options were to either permanently attach the case back plate to the Plexiglas directly which I can see many issues with or find a way to make the back plat removable from the mount and the phone. I attached the clips to the back plate this way so I can quickly pickup the phone off the mount if needed and then take off the back plat when im done.

Fraxinus

Reaction score
Kudos mremptywallet - very creative solution and I like that when the phone is in place it has a more integrated look with the dashboard. I've been trying to think through a similar kind of solution but the stock radio in my WRX is a double-DIN with no such empty slot...any thoughts from other WRX owners...?