I just returned my Motorola Droid!

OP
B

Blemkor

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for all the responses. I think if I do it today, I can save at least $ 80.00. Is not a matter of saving less thatn $ 100.00, is a matter of tha they are already making a lot of money out of our pockets and we are the ones that let this happens.
I can get it for $ 120.00 if I want to today withount driving around.

Thanks again for your input, I just wanted to hear different opinions and some make sense, others no.

I got my previous Verizon cell phone from Best Buy and never had a problem for almost 2 years. Same with my wife's cell phone.

Blemkor

yungo845

Reaction score
You should of kept the phone come on 50 60 dollars your gonna pay that anyway especially cause you know your gonna get prorated depending on your cycle and then your gonna buy the phone again so your gonna prorate u again unless you already had a smartphone data plan.. epic fail of the day

Zippster

Reaction score
FYI, if you did not purchase the vehicle at the dealership they can refuse you a loaner car. Also, never heard of having your own service advisor?

I've bought my last 3 cars from the same dealership- used the same service advisor. Because I'm a loyal customer I get certain benefits- ie: loaner car ALWAYS, will deliver my vehicle to my work and pick up the loaner, discounts for purchasing it there, etc, etc.

After working in the auto business for 3 years I can tell you that there's many benefits from purchasing, even if the price is higher, from a dealership that has a history of good customer service.

We call people like you auto orphans and grinders. People who only care about the price, but complain about the quality of service they receive.

Actually were called educated consumers and your right, dealers do call us certain things because they enjoy sheeple such as yourself who they make the most money off of.

3 years huh? lol, I worked as a mechanic, and in the industry for over 15 before changing professions, and have 1 friend who owns a large used dealership.

I NEVER have any issues getting service, loaners etc from anywhere, do I go for service from where I bought my cars,yes, why? Because they gave me the best pricing on the purchase anyways and any dealership who wont accomodate you wont be in business long anyways, they all either A) want to keep you as a customer and happy or B) want to win you over to be their customer.

I have no problems with those of you either feel you have the means to over pay or just enjoy doing so, have at it big guys, just dont judge those who dont care to.

Last edited:

Tekmazter

Reaction score
what's wrong with any one trying to save money
Its out right mean and a nasty attitude to take that kind of position the guy simply asked for suggestions
not for you to judge him or his finicial status

the forum moderator should ban you from this forum i sure would if it was my website

at best buy you get the phone with the deductions already added no mail in rebate

its the same phone as verizion sales

and best buy offers you geek squad for 9 dollars a month for anything that goes wrong with your phone

less dropping it into a lake

other than that no questions asked especially with the 30 day period when you first get it

see my post on my first droid in im new here forum

good luck on your choices

:reddroid:

Well I got my phone at Verizon, and guess what? I can throw it in a lake and get a new one the next day with their phone insurance program- and it's cheaper than Best Buys.

:icon_ banana:

And I bought mine at Wally world ( which I hate, lol but no lines or rebates crap ) and can throw it in the same lake and get a new one too. ;) Verizon sells the insurance as a separate item, no matter where the phone is from.

...and not to be outdone. I got mine at Best Buy with a $9.99 insurance plan. If i throw mine into any lake on the planet I get a NEW one --not a refurb (see Verizon insurance plan!).

I've lived with Verizon's insurance plan for the past decade and let me say this. Every time I replaced a phone with Verizon I would get a nice already-defective-in-some-other-way refurb.

To me, the extra $2.00 or $3.00 a month is well worth it.

To each his own.

Twoo

Reaction score
Well I got my phone at Verizon, and guess what? I can throw it in a lake and get a new one the next day with their phone insurance program- and it's cheaper than Best Buys.

:icon_ banana:

And I bought mine at Wally world ( which I hate, lol but no lines or rebates crap ) and can throw it in the same lake and get a new one too. ;) Verizon sells the insurance as a separate item, no matter where the phone is from.

...and not to be outdone. I got mine at Best Buy with a $9.99 insurance plan. If i throw mine into any lake on the planet I get a NEW one --not a refurb (see Verizon insurance plan!).

I've lived with Verizon's insurance plan for the past decade and let me say this. Every time I replaced a phone with Verizon I would get a nice already-defective-in-some-other-way refurb.

To me, the extra $2.00 or $3.00 a month is well worth it.

To each his own.

Oh Tekmazter, how I loathe you so ;) :icon_eek:

raqball

Reaction score
Price chasing on a phone / device has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard..

Again, my .02

Zippster

Reaction score
Again, I dont believe that is what he is doing, simply spotted a better deal NOW and not several different times and down the road.

Everyone spend or dont spend their money any way they want, my point was simply dont make judgements on those who wish to save.

Tekmazter you actually make the most valid point of this all and I forgot all about the "refurbs" my son went through half a dozen a year or so ago on a regular POS dumb phone from Verizon, each came with its own set of new problems. :icon_evil:

niraj

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I got my phone at a Verizon Store a couple of weeks ago and I paid the $ 299.99 and was supposed to send the papers to get the $ 100.00 back.
I started to see all this posts about better deals at Sears, Best Buy, Dell, etc. and decided that it was not fair to get it for such a high price so I decided to go back to the Store to see what they were able to do for me.
My family plan is expiring on March 2010 but when I got the phone two weeks ago, they told me that I could get it with the mail in rebate. Now that I went back they told me that nothing could be done so I returned the whole thing, including cover, car charger, and a couple of other things. I got almost $ 400.00 back.
Now I have to think what to do next. I am upset to the degree that I would like to use a different company instead of Verizon.
It is the warranty the only difference when you get the phone on line or at Best Buy?
What would you do if you where in my shoes? Thanks for the input.
Blemkor:mad:

These sorts of things should not surprise you. When something new comes out there is a price to pay for getting it right away. Some quick research would have told you that BB was going to offer the phone for $199, so you wouldn't have to mess with the rebates. Its all about waiting....if you cant wait then you just gotta deal. I do agree that its more of a hassle to deal with rebates though....but since i have corp discounts, i had to deal with the corporate verizon store.

BTW picked up my droid today and love it. I had to pay a little more but its because I chose to upgrade before my new every two kicked in. Phone was $299 and the early upgrade fee was $25.....so i had to pay an extra $25 dollars now, but could have waited and got $50 new every 2 discount. My situation is similar to yours, it was my decision to be an early adopter and i have to live with it.

Last edited:

DroidHoff

Reaction score
I bought my Droids at Best Buy and carry the insurance through VZW. I paid initially $199 for my phone because I didnt wan tto wait for a MIR to come. Then I saw a sears add for my phone just $149.00 so I took the add into Best Buy next time I was there and they gave me the $50 difference for both phones in cash no questions asked. So the my suggestion would be to buy from Best Buy (no mail in rebate) and within 30 days if you find a better price as I did they will refund you the difference. You cant lose! But iw ould get the VZW warranty and not Best Buy which you can also do within 30 days the same as VZW.

hanano17

Reaction score
You've posted this thread in about every droid forum out there...what you fail to tell everyone to truly give you an informed opinion, is whether or not you used your NE2 at Verizon or if you even have NE2 discount available.

From what i've been told and from my experience, you will not get a cheaper price from any store if you do NOT have your NE2. Best Buy, Walmart, Sears, Dell, etc. all use your NE2 to get you the upgrade price. They do NOT honor Annual Upgrades, only Verizon does.

If you have your NE2, then you will get your $119.99 price from Dell, if you don't, you won't even get a phone from them unless you pay retail.

If you are simply just using an Annual Upgrade, then your best bet is to look up the phone on Verizon's site and see if they offer it for $149 to new customers, and they should honor that price. Otherwise you are out of luck.

Last edited:

LordKastle

Reaction score
I thought Dell's was for new contracts only...does that include upgrades at the 2 year price?

Also why would Verizon honor you the Droid at $150 if you are looking to upgrade after 1 year? They would offer it for 300 instead of 200.

hanano17

Reaction score
I thought Dell's was for new contracts only...does that include upgrades at the 2 year price?

Also why would Verizon honor you the Droid at $150 if you are looking to upgrade after 1 year? They would offer it for 300 instead of 200.

Nah, its for extensions as well. But I am pretty sure that means you have to be eligible for your NE2 to order from them.

alkaholic

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Raqball covered it, but I'll say it again--but from a cheapskates perspective. Some people don't have to sweat $50...more power to you, but I do. I usually don't usually buy newly released tech, I wait 6 mos and save the cash. I wanted the Droid ASAP, so I paid the "tax" of the cash that waiting a few weeks or mos would have saved me. I'll never bust anyones stones over wanting to save the $, but who actually bought the Droid on release date (like I did) at a VZW store without knowing full well that the price would be dropping? You can't have it both ways.

droidism

Reaction score
I agree, I bought mine at verizon and they back up your phone against any warranty issues. The insurance will take care of the rest. Be it thrown in a lake cruched by a car or even getting mad and chucking it across a room. To buy it from a third party retailer doesnt seem to make sense to me. You say you are worried about the money...If you bought the phone from somewhere else, and have a problem with it, verizon wont touch it, PERIOD. They can tell because the sticker and labels on the inside of the back of the phone are different. So ultimately you'll pay more anyway. It would be like not getting a warranty for your car to save 1000.00. at somewhere around 500 for the phone outright... To me the piece of mind that I will be taken care of means more than the 100.00 I have to spend up front, and yet I'll get it back anyway...:dry: