Cancelled my service and returning the droid

keiichi25

Reaction score
I was not an "early adopter" i wanted almost a month. I am not asking to be credited the difference for the life of the phone. But what is customer is that if the price on a device drops during the return policy, generally you can get the difference, I know i've done that with ipod's bought from Best Buy.

There's your problem there...

This is implied by Best Buy:

Price Match Guarantee

Please note, they have a Price Match Guarantee Policy which is plainly stated on their site and at their location.

Unfortunately, you are not comparing 'apples to apples' with how companies handle situations like this. Best Buy, like Circuit City has placed a Price Matching Guarantee. With that stipulation, they will do this. Verizon Wireless, on the other hand, only gives you a 30 day trial period at no cost or commitment. But after 30 days, you are committed. There is no implied price matching, that is done by who ever else is selling the phone. Verizon Direct will stick with the MSRP cost, but groups like Dell Mobility and Wirefly can go for a lower margin for higher sales... Remember, Verizon still makes out if other groups sell the phone for less, but they aren't going to stiff their margin on a phone they have exclusive rights to, same with the AT&T Store or the Spint or T-Mobile store for their own phones.

myriad46

Reaction score
The phone is not any cheaper at Verizon, you have to buy it through another store, such as Best Buy or Wirefly. I am not sure what the full ramifications of doing this are, but they are probably subsidizing the difference. I know, for myself, I signed up for only a 1-year contract, which you cannot do at those store fronts.

OP
W

whec716

Reaction score
So you're mad because you failed to shop around?

I don't call apple and complain that some other company has the iPod for cheaper and demand they refund the difference. There is something to be said for buying an item from the original manufacturer (or in this case, offerer/carrier whatever). Don't complain and punish Verizon for your mistake.

i'm not "mad" i'm confused, shocked perhaps.

Here I am in my trail period saying "I like your product and would like to keep it. However, I can now get it for $135 cheaper from a different store. I would like to remain with you, can you credit me the $135 difference." I gave them a choice to keep my on a 2 year commitment for $90 a month. They refused - so now i move on.

Not a big deal - the easy answer is for verizon to say "sure no problem, how could we let a third party beat our prices, we'd love to match that and retain you as a customer." They chose not to and now I'm free to go to ATT, tmobile or back to Verizon (perhaps my wife has to do the contract, but i can go back).

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If I returned every device that the price came down significantly on in short order, I'd spend more time at customer service than using my device.

How true, People don't a value on their time and effort....most often it's not worth it.

keiichi25

Reaction score

I don't call apple and complain that some other company has the iPod for cheaper and demand they refund the difference. There is something to be said for buying an item from the original manufacturer (or in this case, offerer/carrier whatever). Don't complain and punish Verizon for your mistake.

Here I am in my trail period saying "I like your product and would like to keep it. However, I can now get it for $135 cheaper from a different store. I would like to remain with you, can you credit me the $135 difference." I gave them a choice to keep my on a 2 year commitment for $90 a month. They refused - so now i move on.

Not a big deal - the easy answer is for verizon to say "sure no problem, how could we let a third party beat our prices, we'd love to match that and retain you as a customer." They chose not to and now I'm free to go to ATT, tmobile or back to Verizon (perhaps my wife has to do the contract, but i can go back).

Well, the problem is... They aren't going to do price matching. If they were, their SD Micro Mems wouldn't be overpriced. Hell, one of their Store reps told me that if I wanted to get a 8 gig SD Micro Card... Don't buy it from their location, go to New Egg and get it there. This is coming from one of their store reps! And mind you, this was when I first signed up with them last year and got myself an LG Chocolate 3 phone.

The one thing you should be aware of is that Verizon isn't going to try very hard to price match on items, at best, they will, with their phone reps, talk with you about the service you have and maybe talk you down to a lower service if you aren't using a lot of the higher rate plan.

The phone itself is not what they are selling, it is the service more than anything else. The phone price being lower because you went 2 year instead of month to month or 1 year contract is a promo to get you to commit to 2 years service versus the 1 year or staying month to month.

You have to understand that again, they 30 day trial is you either like it or not. If you don't, you are welcome to return it, but doesn't mean during that time they will nickel and dime the price down to make you stay after the fact.

GHANAKIS

Reaction score
i believe the phone is well worth the the 299.00 minus the 100 rebate

truthfully i believe it is worth more.

i wish i had the patience to wait a month after a device comes out before i buy it but unfortunately it rarely happens

mikeinctown

Reaction score
Best Buy matched my Dell ad price when Verizon would not. I think it is crappy that they wouldn't give you a small refund considering the large $$ they will get from you over the life of the contract.

I tried to buy an iPhone about 3 weeks back. AT&T wanted an $800 deposit because I disputed a bill they gave me after my contract was up and I did not pay (even stopped using the phone) They say I owe them $150. So what they did was sacrifice a few grand in revenue over a 6 year old phone bill. Verizon was more than happy to take my money instead with no deposit required.

keiichi25

Reaction score
Best Buy matched my Dell ad price when Verizon would not. I think it is crappy that they wouldn't give you a small refund considering the large $$ they will get from you over the life of the contract.

I tried to buy an iPhone about 3 weeks back. AT&T wanted an $800 deposit because I disputed a bill they gave me after my contract was up and I did not pay (even stopped using the phone) They say I owe them $150. So what they did was sacrifice a few grand in revenue over a 6 year old phone bill. Verizon was more than happy to take my money instead with no deposit required.

Well mind you, Best Buy put up something that they are legally obligated to follow through, which is Price Matching. You buy something in their store and find it cheaper somewhere else within a few weeks of purchase, they will make up the difference. Companies like that have to aggressively price to make sure they get your business, but does not mean they have to cut their arms off in order to do it either.

Given there is no stipulation of that sort from Verizon, they are under no legal obligation to price match. Sales of this nature are considered 'final' and your option is return if you want a refund, but not a refund do the change in price.

I sort of know this due to how my company does their guarantee and sometimes it bites us in the rear because of how some customers abuse the policy we have.

godanigo

Reaction score

The prices have been way cheaper for longer than a week, you didn't do your homework. These $119 prices aren't post-black friday, they've been AROUND. You didn't check, and now you want Verizon to pick up the tab. Accept it, $200 for the Droid is already a steal.

cuskit

Reaction score
Guess I should be happy at $99.00 with a two year renewal then (after I get my $100.00 rebate). I know I'd just as soon get my phone right at the store that will service my Contract. For better or worse.

Just know this. Next year this time the Droid will be history, a new smartphone will be available for less than half the price with twice the features. It's the nature of the beast. You should be more worried about all those miscellaneous taxes and other ambiguous charges you see on your bill each month. ;)

Paid the price and happy - mikey

mwinne

Reaction score
It was worth it to me, to pay the price I paid at the time, and as far as I am concerned, it is even better than I expected, so I guess it is actually worth more. No regrets here. Being the only one in the room with the droid, for the last couple weeks has been way too much fun. :icon_ devil:

mikeinctown

Reaction score

Well mind you, Best Buy put up something that they are legally obligated to follow through, which is Price Matching. You buy something in their store and find it cheaper somewhere else within a few weeks of purchase, they will make up the difference. Companies like that have to aggressively price to make sure they get your business, but does not mean they have to cut their arms off in order to do it either.

Given there is no stipulation of that sort from Verizon, they are under no legal obligation to price match. Sales of this nature are considered 'final' and your option is return if you want a refund, but not a refund do the change in price.

I sort of know this due to how my company does their guarantee and sometimes it bites us in the rear because of how some customers abuse the policy we have.

Actually, they are not obligated to match the price. If you look at their price matching policy it applies to local sale prices on in stock items, not adds printed from internet retailers. Best Buy went the extra step and made a happy customer.

Now I am running around with Verizon trying to get my stupid corporate discount rate for employees. It should not be so hard.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Now I am running around with Verizon trying to get my stupid corporate discount rate for employees.

All that is required is a work email....At least for us that was it.

romeov

Reaction score
My Verizon rep specifically told me that Verizon does not allow anyone who cancels their service to get "new user" promotions for something like 100 days or something.. just a warning, don't know if it's true or not.

medicTHREE

Reaction score
My Verizon rep specifically told me that Verizon does not allow anyone who cancels their service to get "new user" promotions for something like 100 days or something.. just a warning, don't know if it's true or not.

Wrong. If you cancel within 30 days, you were basically never a customer. If you pay the ETF, you are also a brand new customer.