i have 2.1, now how do i overclock and use it to wirelessly tether my laptop online

LOUISSSSS

Reaction score
I did the manual 2.1 update. Been running well. Can someone give me a step by step on how to overclock this thing from 550mhz to 800mhz?

I also hear that with the droid, i can use it to get my laptop online using the verizon network. Can someone help me out with this?

Champers

Reaction score
You need to be rooted to do these things, and there is currently no way to root once you upgrade to 2.1. You can get rooted 2.1, but you must do certain things before you upgrade.

OP
L

LOUISSSSS

Reaction score
You need to be rooted to do these things, and there is currently no way to root once you upgrade to 2.1. You can get rooted 2.1, but you must do certain things before you upgrade.

so since i didn't root before upgrading to 2.1 am i SOL? and i'm stuck using the default apps and features?

Can i tether wireless at least?

kudz

Reaction score

so since i didn't root before upgrading to 2.1 am i SOL? and i'm stuck using the default apps and features?

Not sure about the overclocking but pretty sure you can tether with 3rd party apps in the app store like EasyTether. I downloaded it a couple weeks ago and still haven't set it up but it's supposed to do the trick.

mooreman

Reaction score

Yep, you're stuck if you're opposed to rooting, all of the things you mentioned are only available to you if you root including the wireless tether. If you want to root, you won't have to wait long until the process is made available to those who are updated to 2.1.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Re: i have 2.1, now how do i overclock and use it t

Yep, you're stuck if you're opposed to rooting, all of the things you mentioned are only available to you if you root including the wireless tether. If you want to root, you won't have to wait long until the process is made available to those who are updated to 2.1.

Actually you don't have to be rooted to tether. EasyTether from the market does this without rooting.

shmoo

Reaction score
To use wireless tether you do have to be rooted. The ones from the app store require you to be plugged in with your usb

DigiK

Reaction score
Revert to stock 2.01 using RSD Lite, gain root, and install a custom ROM that gives you what you want. The non-rooted tethering apps are frankly sub-par, and you're really going to get a better experience and much faster phone by leaving stock 2.1 behind.

Restore 2.0.1 for rooting, or Unroot/Unbrick your phone using .sbf
This is very easy, but you WILL lose settings and applications by reflashing to stock. Info on your SD card remains safe. Be sure to unzip the downloaded file, as RSD will be looking for .sbf file.

Wait until after you've rooted, flashed an alternate recovery application, and loaded your custom 2.1 ROM before expending any effort to load applications or configure your custom settings, since loading a custom 2.1 ROM requires a data/cache wipe. Might as well not double your work.

Cheers! :)