Creating Wireless network on my laptop for my Droid?

smargm

Reaction score
My laptop is connected to me ethernet connection(internet) how can I make a wireless network so I can hook my droid up to use it?

I tried the normal way you would connect another laptop to my laptop but the droid dosnt pick up the network.

bolden88

Reaction score
Tethering to laptop

I have tried for weeks to get this working. I want to use my phone as the router and cancel my home internet. I am running Smoked Glass 6.0 which came with a wireless tether app. How do I get this running once and for all.
If 2.1 is coming out and I was going to install the update should I revert back to my 2.01 OEM ROM first? Is there any reason to accept the update. I have pinch to zoom with Smoked glass.
Thanks

OP
S

smargm

Reaction score
I want to connect to my laptop and use the internet from the laptop not the other way around.

Moondonkey

Reaction score
smargm,

I was wondering about this as well, I have poked around a bit and not found anything. One problem I see is that there are so many different types of laptops and wifi radios, that setting this up might be different for many models.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have tried for weeks to get this working. I want to use my phone as the router and cancel my home internet. I am running Smoked Glass 6.0 which came with a wireless tether app. How do I get this running once and for all.
If 2.1 is coming out and I was going to install the update should I revert back to my 2.01 OEM ROM first? Is there any reason to accept the update. I have pinch to zoom with Smoked glass.
Thanks

I HOPE YOU GET CAUGHT AND VERIZON BILLS YOU FOR DATA.

Tether should be used when on the road for the weekend and staying in a hotel room and you don't want to pay the outrageous WiFi fee's or letting a friend use your WiFi with his phone or ipod Touch or some other wifi device

to the OP I have not heard of turning a laptop into a wireless Router it MIGHT be doable, but your odds are better in your favor if you were to look on a forum for your particular laptop or a forum that specializes in doing those types of things.

Cyrus6001

Reaction score
try going into windows network setup and checking the box for allowing other users to connect to your network. That will essentially turn your laptop into a router. I use this feature to for my xbox when im not near my modem. Im just not sure if it will work wireless. It works hard wired.

OP
S

smargm

Reaction score
Cyrus already tried that. The network will not show up on the droid.

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks

I HOPE YOU GET CAUGHT AND VERIZON BILLS YOU FOR DATA.

Tether should be used when on the road for the weekend and staying in a hotel room and you don't want to pay the outrageous WiFi fee's or letting a friend use your WiFi with his phone or ipod Touch or some other wifi device

to the OP I have not heard of turning a laptop into a wireless Router it MIGHT be doable, but your odds are better in your favor if you were to look on a forum for your particular laptop or a forum that specializes in doing those types of things.
Wow, you're a bit harsh. That's your opinion on tether and you don't have to blurt out whats on your mind. He didn't ask for your opinion.

To the OP, search youtube or google for something along the lines of "how to turn laptop into router"

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Win7 does what the OP wants with ease...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
On your PC go to networks and create an "ad hoc" network. That's what you're trying to do.

Android devices by default cannot connect to ad-hoc networks.

lennywc

Reaction score
I made my droid a wireless hotspot. But it is not to be abused as others have stated. Any wifi capable computer can gain Internet access thru my droid .

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I made my droid a wireless hotspot. But it is not to be abused as others have stated. Any wifi capable computer can gain Internet access thru my droid .

He wants to do it the other way around. Phone to access internet through the laptop... laptop is the hotspot.

OP
S

smargm

Reaction score
I can make a wireless network but the droid cant see it.