I HATE the new gallery!

Reaction score
I am dissapointed in the camera itself. Such strong hardware wth horrible software..And Verizon Boasted about the awesome 5mp camera too, so i was looking forward to it. I can care less about the gallery becouse i see how good it looks when i upload it on the computer.. My voyager took clearer pcictures than my droid does with its 5mp's... wtf?

sustained

Reaction score
I also had the blurry zoom picture problem after the Android 2.1 update. Without zooming they looked fine. When I zoomed the pictures they became blurry and pixelated. And I waited for 2 minutes without any improvement.

Google: Android 2.1 Downgrades Image Quality

Google confirmed Dr. Soneira's findings with the following statement:

"The Gallery app in Android 2.0.1 is different from the Gallery app in Android 2.1. Google developed Gallery in Android 2.0.1, which uses 24-bit color rendered using 2D technology. On the other hand, Cooliris created Gallery in Android 2.1, which uses 16-bit textures rendered using 3D technology.

Apparently it is different.

Thanks for verifying the problem virus786. The link states they will be working on a fix:

"A representative from Cooliris said that the company was working on a fix. ... We will be working on a version that supports 24-bit color and scaling, but do not expect to see it implemented until after the next major Android release."

But, in the meantime ...

I took LifeIsABeach's advice and installed Multi-Touch Gallery Pro (by B&B, Bread & Butter)

WOW! The pictures are now back to being clear with zoom. Using the same picture I compared the stock 2.1 Gallery with Multi-Touch Gallery Pro.

The difference is HUGE!

Multi-Touch Gallery Pro must still be using the "24-bit color and scaling" technology.

The zoom with Multi-Touch Gallery Pro is a little choppy. But I will take choppy with clear zoom over smooth and blurry zoom anyday.

And when you scroll through pictures with Multi-Touch Gallery Pro, the pictures don't have the illusion of scrolling, it just snaps to the next picture. But I like that.

There's a free Multi-Touch Gallery version with ads.

Or the Multi-Touch Gallery Pro for $0.99.

If you are having the blurry zoom problem it's worth a try.

junpar

Reaction score
It's true that the gallery app's image quality now sucks b/c of the 3d layout. It gives 16 bit color when the old one gives 24 bit color. This is a huge difference.. 16 bit shows 54,000 colors. 24 bit shows 16.7 million. HUGE difference.

RichieD

Reaction score
Not to hi-jack this thread at all, but would anyone know y all of a sudden most of my pics are gone? I am rooted with DM 1.0 and have smoked glass theme with a few other odds n ends. It doesnt make sense to me that only some of the pics are gone.. hmmm