Hypebeast......2.0.1.4

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
hot-toys-iron-man-3-mark-xli-1-6-scale-collectible-figure-00.jpg

Today for Halloween I am going out as "hypebeast". With all the hype and anticipation we have, especially here for tech, sometime I wonder if the hype overshadows the item. Let's take a new phone; we get the speculation, then rumors get more intense followed by leaks of a source talking about the device. Later we begin to see blurry photos followed by clearer photos, leaked vids, announcements, pre-order dates, and last availability. During that entire process there are talks of excitement about the new shiny toy. Finally you get it in hand, after yelling at the Fedex man for taking too long, you go through all the set up process, and installing accessories. Once that is done you go back to using that device the same way you did the last one, going to the same sites, listening to the same music, watching the same videos, and waiting for someone to ask you "is that a new phone" all so you can go into a 5-15 min spiel about the phone and why it is better than the last. After the spiel is over you back to using the phone and as days go by less talk is about your new toy and more talk is focused on the next rumored toy.

So I ask what device was you the most hype about?

What device (android) would you say was the most hyped?

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thunderbolt.png

There is a tie between my most hyped about device both the thunderbolt and the galaxy nexus. Ironically they have been my least favorite phones.

I say the most hyped device for android was the HTC thunderbolt. We had to open 2 or 3 threads because the threads got so long over the speculation about it being this super phone. I believe one person said it could cook your dinner and drive your car for you. But man the hype around that phone and the venom when it was "delayed" was brutal. I even remember Blackmanpanda (if I got the name right) posted in the thread that basically it is not going to be the phone people are expecting it to be and boy he about got crucified. Sure nuff' between the poor battery life, poor updates, and lack of support that phone was a flop. There went the idea of a super phone...but the funny this is a lot of the talk where people were saying we would never see a quad core phone etc....wow amazing where we are at now with cellular tech.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Sorry in advance, however

it's spiel, not spill...

regardless excellent post.

My most hyped phone personally was the Z3v... I've waited for a verizon sony for so long, and then it finally happened. I just don't know if I can bring myself to get a smaller screen than I already have.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Sorry in advance, however

it's spiel, not spill...

regardless excellent post.

My most hyped phone personally was the Z3v... I've waited for a verizon sony for so long, and then it finally happened. I just don't know if I can bring myself to get a smaller screen than I already have.
Typo, thanks

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
The most hyped phone for me was the Motorola Droid Bionic. It was my first android phone as I was switching over from a Palm Pre+, which I still feel was better in quite a few ways but lacked the high end hardware Moto was producing. The Bionic was supposed to be released in June, but got delayed. The phone finally release on September 8th...which was only 2 months before Motorola released the Droid Razr with a better screen, slimmer profile, and slightly improved specs...followed by the Maxx.

The Droid Bionic was super hyped as it was going to be the first Dual Core 4G LTE phone, came with the lapdock software, and looked like the proper descendant of the Original Droid. I woke up early, drove to Costco, closer than a Verizon store, stood in line with 10 other people to get the phone, and then found out that their shipment got delayed and wouldn't be in until the afternoon. I got back in the car, drove to the Verizon store and was the 6th person to get the phone in the store. 4G was amazingly fast compared to 3G and the phone was amazing until...

I started noticing that the phone would droid data all the time and only a reboot would get it back. Then it would drop phone calls when driving through 3G and 4G areas. The phone was great if you didn't want to surf the web or make phone calls reliably. Verizon promised updates and they never came. I wanted to hold off rooting and romming as I had a lot of fun modding my Pre+, but wanted to see if stock android was better. I rooted and rommed it to get ICS months before the official release and it vastly improved the data drops, however, it was never reliable. I kept the phone for a year and a half before switching to the Galaxy Nexus (Toro). I still really liked the Bionic, however, it was far from perfect. From this fiasco I swore off buying a new phone until reviews from real users came out. Currently rocking a Droid Maxx Developer Edition xposed out and can't find anything to complain about other than not liking the newest update.

The Droid Bionic was originally going to look like this:
motorola-droid-bionic-1294332936-316.jpg

...but got completely redesigned after all of the Q1 conferences and delays to look like this:
droidbionic34fs.jpg

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Dev edition MAXX, huh? Jealous... I have a Dev edition Moto X but it's the first and only phone I've ever droid and cracked the from l front glass on. :-( I really want to fix it but it looks like it's far more difficult to replace just the glad than it is the entire digitizer assembly however the glass is like $20 and the assembly is a ridiculous $180+? Go figure.

Anyway, hype for me WAS the RAZR MAXX. I had gone from OGD to D2, to RAZR and was experiencing terrible battery but moved the RAZR. Actually somewhere in there was a spat with the S4 but that was short-lived. I hated having to carry around three batteries to get through one day. So the MAXX was a breath of fresh air.

That was until the Turbo came along. That will take the cake as the most hyped for me yet probably far from the most hyped in the media.

By the way... Check my post here in this thread.

Got my Turbo free gave up unlimited data and got a hella deal. Android Forums at DroidForums.net

SpeJ3435

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
64GB White Nexus 6
Dev edition MAXX, huh? Jealous... I have a Dev edition Moto X but it's the first and only phone I've ever droid and cracked the from l front glass on. :-( I really want to fix it but it looks like it's far more difficult to replace just the glad than it is the entire digitizer assembly however the glass is like $20 and the assembly is a ridiculous $180+? Go figure.

It took me 9 months to find a used Dev Edition Maxx. I finally picked it up on Craigslist. Swappa had only sold 3 this year and they were all $500+. I just can't justify spending $500 on a phone anymore. I absolutely love it. I wish it had the size and form factor that the Moto X 2013 has, but with the Maxx styling, kevlar.

I saw your write up on the Droid Turbo Deal; that was a sick deal. They haven't flagged that or anything? If only the Turbo came in a Dev Edition or was rootable/unlockable.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It was a month to a month and a half ago I was scrambling to find a moto 360 now not only are they easier to get but you have more options to choose from as well as bands. Buy Moto 360 Leather or Metal Individual Watch Bands Right Now From AT T Droid Life
Also it helps that wearables are becoming numerous. I am still on the fence until at least next spring.

I feel like if you have the patients to wait through the initial surge you are better off. For one they are rushing to fill inventory and when something is rushed you tend to have mistakes. After the rush calms down and the initial orders are filled the second and third orders seem to correct the minor flaws during production.
With all that said as much as I have been burned by jumping on the initial rush, being the first to get the thunderbolt, galaxy nexus, and moto 360) I still am certain I will ignore past experiences and jump on the initial nexus 6 surge. I just hope a root method is released soon. Though I know Chainfire is on it.