?? Husband, Wife Apps??

waltersmj4

Reaction score
Didn't start this but added the calendar and latitude suggestions with my wife and I like it.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google Lattitude - for tracking on google maps
TikL Talk - for push to talk

first ones I thought of too. Google calendar, talk, ... there's so many I can't think of them :p

Reaction score
Our Groceries is a great shared use app. My wife and I use it all the time. You sync to one phone number and it updates the lists you share live. You can use it for the name purpose, groceries, or any kind of to-do or task list. Works great.

Like others... Latitude for location, TiKL for PTT, Google Voice for free messaging,

You might consider getting Wavesecure for security purposes and tracking. It lets you find lost phones, lock them down and msg them to tell the "finder" to call and report that it's been found. If they don't you can remotely wipe it.

mcsinfl

Reaction score
you can share your individual google calendars with eachother, and view eachothers calendars through the phone or a browser. We have 4 droids in the house, one for each family member, and we can view eachothers calendars and have the settings set up so we can edit/add to any of the calendars.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
calendar is good.

plus, if you have both phones using the same gmail as the primary, you can share all your purchased apps

but adding a "Family" calendar is a very good, simple idea that can really help a busy family.

Jr baseball practice
Suzy dance recital
Billy Parent conference

Parents can even use it to have kids enter stuff on their smart phone. The way I look at it, a smart phone is a privaledge and if Jr has it, then he needs to use it beyond just a cool looking text messenger. He can have a Moto Razr for texting. It takes some training and follow up, but if they can't handle to added responsibility of putting into the calendar, stuff like "football booster club meeting" on next Tuesday's spot, then maybe they aren't ready for a smartphone. It helps them with organization, it helps you with knowing what's coming up.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
you can share your individual google calendars with eachother, and view eachothers calendars through the phone or a browser. We have 4 droids in the house, one for each family member, and we can view eachothers calendars and have the settings set up so we can edit/add to any of the calendars.

I agree with you 100%. That's great. I saw this post after I added mine but it's exactly what I'm thinking.

My question.... do you have a personal calendar AND a family calendar? Do you let others (including kids) have the ability to see and/or edit your PERSONAL calendar? or just the "family" calendar?

I could see how letting them 'view only' your calendar could help but edit is tough. I would also insist, as a parent, that I get the proper permissions to at least "VIEW" the kid's personal calendar. For the events that they don't necessarily need parents for, but it's good to know what's going on. Stuff like "Band practice" on Wednesday. or "science project due" on 2 Thursdays from now.

mcsinfl

Reaction score

I agree with you 100%. That's great. I saw this post after I added mine but it's exactly what I'm thinking.

My question.... do you have a personal calendar AND a family calendar? Do you let others (including kids) have the ability to see and/or edit your PERSONAL calendar? or just the "family" calendar?

I could see how letting them 'view only' your calendar could help but edit is tough. I would also insist, as a parent, that I get the proper permissions to at least "VIEW" the kid's personal calendar. For the events that they don't necessarily need parents for, but it's good to know what's going on. Stuff like "Band practice" on Wednesday. or "science project due" on 2 Thursdays from now.

I thought about a family calendar as well, but we just don't have a need in our household, our lives pretty much revolve around work and the kids schedules so it's more important we know when/where they need to be. My wife and I both have edit ability on the kids calendars but they only have view access to ours. I think each family needs to decide what works best for them.

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score

I thought about a family calendar as well, but we just don't have a need in our household, our lives pretty much revolve around work and the kids schedules so it's more important we know when/where they need to be. My wife and I both have edit ability on the kids calendars but they only have view access to ours. I think each family needs to decide what works best for them.

I agree, and you answered my question. To me, how you're using the calendar is exactly how I envision it. I think mine just simply (or overly complicatedly) expands on it.

How old are your kids? I think it's an excellent teaching moment to help teens with organization. They simply add in when assignments are due, when practices are and you, as a parent, simply can see it and can monitor. It's not a snooping thing, so I don't want people to think that, but a family is a complex machine and knowing what's going on simply lubricates that machine. But it does require effort and reinforcement with the kids who may not see the importance of putting in when report cards are coming home, etc. But I simply argue if they want a droid, here's the stipulation.... It ties them in that way.