HTC Thunderbolt vs. Droid X

jake18

Reaction score
Okay, so i went into the verozon store last thursday with the intentions of buying the the droid x, but the sales guy talked jme into buying the thunderbolt because it was so much faster. So far i love the phone, except the battery is TERRIBLE. Keep in mind this is my first droid/smartphone, but i would ecpect the battery to last all day. especially whan all i do is use it for texting and minimal web browsing and game playing. Does the Droid X have a better battery life and is it worth exchanging the thunderbolt for? The issue of 4G lte vs. 3G speed is not a concern to me if the battery life is better.

patmw123

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Get the app that's let's you toggle 4g on and off. In addition, turn off wifi and gps when not in use. I read on another thread that an ota update would be pushed out soon to address the battery issues. Lowering your brightness in display settings should help as well. There are several battery saving tips threads on the site so just search and you should be able to find them.

OP
J

jake18

Reaction score
Do you know what the update would do?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

TJF2011

Reaction score
I upgraded from teh X to the Thunderbolt. So far im regretting almost every minute of it. Ive had nothing but problems with my phone. My phone freezes quite often, i have horrible connectivity issues even when im on wifi i will often have to reset my phone then when it starts back up i get flooded with txt messages and voicemails that i did not get. I never had any problems with my X, and i dont know a single person who has. The battery life is alot better on the X and they are really almost the same as far as speed goes to. So i would probably save some money and get the X unless of course you want the newest and greatest which is the Thunderbolt for a few more months. Im past my 14 days on my phone but they said if i have another phone that keeps giving me problems they will let me go back to the X and refund my money, We will see how it goes. ALSO... YOU COULD GET THE X, TRY IT FOR LESS THAN 14 DAYS THEN GET THE THUNDERBOLT AND DO THE SAME AND SEE WHICH ONE YOU LIKE BEST.

GDP

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt is a great phone, but the battery life is terrible. It's a much faster and more capable phone than the Droid X for certain things. But if you're only using it for texting and web the Droid X is a great phone too. Battery life will be better with the Droid X.

Also, Verizon is offering bonuses (spiffs) to the sales people when they sell a Thunderbolt. That is most likely why he was pushing it. Although the Thunderbolt is a better phone

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Last edited:

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
A couple of days ago I friend at work showed a pic on his X, opened the Gallery from another app and showed the picture. Nothing amazing but it only took a few seconds, where my D1 takes 30 seconds and many times locks up. While I was checking an X at the Verizon store the sales rep wouldn't quit about getting a TB. It seems like a fast phone but even the sale rep was pushing the extended battery.

I get to update next month but I'm not sure what phone to get now.

Cornmastah

Reaction score
I would personally get the thunderbolt I had a droid x hated how slow it was and I use normal battery for tbolt I just keep my charger on me runs super fast I mean sometimes im getting like 30 MBPS with this but on the x I was getting less than one. and if internet goes out at my house just tm turn on hotspot and my xbox live starts working again. and hotspot is free also sweet deal

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Cool thanks. Been thinking about the bigger battery and the bigger back panel. It would be cool to have a fast phone.
After the 2.2 update my OD has gotten slower and goes off to the back forty and hums to it's self. After 2.2.2 the camera sometimes stops our locks up.

CDuke619

Reaction score
Keep the thunderbolt and get an extended battery or exchange it for the charge when it comes out and get that phones extended battery. Android phones battery life won't last all day without a custom rom or very light use without an extended battery.

coldhardtruth

Reaction score
The x is the worst phone available. Slow, unresponsive and ugly. Def stay away from it. TB all the way.

Sent from my Ultimate 2.3.3 Incredible

stump1000

Reaction score
I would get the Thunderbolt for sure. I love my dx but you're still comparing one year old technology to what's available today. I have a Samsung Fascinate to, but prefer the dx.

The dx is a lot of things, maybe big and bulky but its far from slow.

The x is the worst phone available. Slow, unresponsive and ugly. Def stay away from it. TB all the way.

I'm sure that's coming from someone that never had one. Cell phone envy much?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

stump1000

Reaction score
The Thunderbolt is a great phone, but the battery life is terrible. It's a much faster and more capable phone than the Droid X for certain things. But if you're only using it for texting and web the Droid X is a great phone too. Battery life will be better with the Droid X.

Also, Verizon is offering bonuses (spiffs) to the sales people when they sell a Thunderbolt. That is most likely why he was pushing it. Although the Thunderbolt is a better phone

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

If the t-bolt last longer than my DX then it has awesome battery life. My battery usually gets to 20% at 24 hours. I use my phone a lot, but about 8 hours of that is when I'm sleeping.
My dx is also rooted with a rom swap so maybe thats the difference.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

TJF2011

Reaction score

Wow.. you are stating opinion not fact... Droid x is not slow and a great phone.. your the first person ive even heard of that thinks that... Fyi... My local police dept all have droid x.... Everyone of them loves it. Now thats saying something

TJF2011

Reaction score
I would personally get the thunderbolt I had a droid x hated how slow it was and I use normal battery for tbolt I just keep my charger on me runs super fast I mean sometimes im getting like 30 MBPS with this but on the x I was getting less than one. and if internet goes out at my house just tm turn on hotspot and my xbox live starts working again. and hotspot is free also sweet deal

Hot spot is free until may 15