How to Use Bootloader?

mwitzah

Reaction score
First off, I've tried searching through the forums to teach myself before posting . . .

I'm fairly comfortable with my phone, but I'm not quite familiar with the lingo. I'm also not quite sure what ROM or Flash are.

While downloading the Froyo my Droid X bricked. Long story, I can't get a replacement.

I was able to do the HOME SCREEN BUTTON plus POWER UP and get it to the hard reset option, which let me choose the factory reset, but when I rebooted I'm still frozen in a loop between the round red circle (that comes up just after the batwings in the M) and the word DROID, endlessly cycling up but never booting . . .

So that was a no go -

I was able to get it into the bootloader screen by pressing all buttons and the camera button simultaneously with the power up, but I have no idea what to do from there. NONE. It says to put in my UPC cable, but I never downloaded anything to know what to do next.

What do I do from here guys?

Can anyone instruct me, step by step, in NEWBIE language, of what someone can do who only backed up their contacts and calendar info by keeping them saved as a CSV file, and nothing else, when they get into the Bootloader screen???

I'm very much obliged. I've tried teaching myself here and googling it and searching through this forum, but I'm just so confused . . .

Witzah

pyro6128

Reaction score
The bootloader is only really useful for using rsdlite. You're going to need to download rsdlite onto your computer, along with the drivers. Then you need to get the droid x sbf file. Once you installed rsdlite and the drivers on your comp, connect your x to your comp and load the bootloader. Then you load the sbf file in rsd lite and click ok. It will then flash your phone back to the way it was out of the box.

If you run a search on this forum, you should be able to find rsdlite as well as the drivers. I'm not sure if a droid x sbf file exists, but if it does it would probably be on this board somewhere. I've only had to do it with my droid.

Maybe someone else will chime in with more knowledge

OP
M

mwitzah

Reaction score
Thank you very much Pyro! I can't find a thank button, so if there is one let me know. I'll try searching for both when I get home.

When you say "Then you load the sbf file in rsd lite and click ok. It will then flash your phone back to the way it was out of the box" - do you mean do that on my computer?

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
heres a link that will help out a bit more.

Home

please read the home page bc theres now 2 diff sbfs to use. you did the OTA update, correct? u need to do the 2.2 sbf then or itll cause more problems..

then if you click on the DX page u can learn how to use RSD

pyro6128

Reaction score
Thank you very much Pyro! I can't find a thank button, so if there is one let me know. I'll try searching for both when I get home.

When you say "Then you load the sbf file in rsd lite and click ok. It will then flash your phone back to the way it was out of the box" - do you mean do that on my computer?

Yea you do it on your computer. The links provided above should be able to help you out a ton. I'll try and answer any other questions as best I can

OP
M

mwitzah

Reaction score
heres a link that will help out a bit more.

Home

please read the home page bc theres now 2 diff sbfs to use. you did the OTA update, correct? u need to do the 2.2 sbf then or itll cause more problems..

then if you click on the DX page u can learn how to use RSD

Wow - great link, thanks so much, Abe.

And thanks again, Pyro.

I'm nervous - but I'm gonna do this after work.

(So - does this mean I'm rooting?)

pyro6128

Reaction score
no thats not rooting. I would suggest looking at this part right here
Droid X

go down to the part that says "return your droid to stock unrooted 2.1"

If you follow those instructions, it should take you phone back to what it was out of the box, with none of your personal info on it. You'll have to sign back into google and set everything up again.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no thats not rooting. I would suggest looking at this part right here
Droid X

go down to the part that says "return your droid to stock unrooted 2.1"

If you follow those instructions, it should take you phone back to what it was out of the box, with none of your personal info on it. You'll have to sign back into google and set everything up again.

yes but use the 2.2 SBF and NOT the one in the guide.

OP
M

mwitzah

Reaction score
I tried this last night, but my bricked X wouldn't charge the battery. I brought my laptop in today with RSD & SBF downloaded on it, and I'm using a friend's battery.

I got my phone in bootloader, connected it to my computer, turned on RSD, found the SBF, and hit Start. It's doing nothing.

Am I missing something?

Did I get something wrong?

I didn't find any drivers to download as you said, Pyro, but the links provided by Abe didn't show me needing any.

Did I get the wrong SBF perhaps? I'm finding so many.

Should I change any settings on the RSD?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
did you download the_gift.zip file? that should have the drivers you need along with the flash.ini patch also needed.

OP
M

mwitzah

Reaction score
OK - that was silly - I didn't have the driver installed for my Droid on my laptop and needed to use my friends Droid to get that done. Silly.

It seems to be doing it now. It's in progress. I'm giddy.

Will update with (hopefully good) news.

OMG!! Thanks!!

OP
M

mwitzah

Reaction score
Alright. It flashed, I did it. But now, when it's all done and time for a manual power up of the phone I'm back to the same loop I was stuck in from before.

ARGH!!

I wonder if the 2.2 never actually finished downloading and installing before this problem occurred? Soooo, I wonder if I should try the 2.1 SBF?

Thoughts?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
no the bootloop is because you need to boot into recovery (hold home and power up) and wipe both data and cache.

lemme know if that fixes ur troubles

OP
M

mwitzah

Reaction score
no the bootloop is because you need to boot into recovery (hold home and power up) and wipe both data and cache.

lemme know if that fixes ur troubles

No, I did hold home and powered up before I flashed - which is why I thought I needed to flash in the first place. Nada.

I did it again after flashing. Same result. In the loop.

Should I try another SBF perhaps? I'm so drained and disappointed. I felt like such a hero for getting that to work (thank you so very much) but then still - the danged loop!!