How to take a screen shot?

powerkatwedel

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered, but I have searched an couldn't find it. How do I take a screen shot on my Droid?

Thanks in advance.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
I use DroCap2 but it only works on rooted phones. I recall reading a thread that allowed members with non rooted phones to share screen shots so it must be possible but I do not know what app you need. Here is a linkhttp://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/screen+capture/by_matching that has several screen capture apps. Perhaps one will meet your need.

Mike

Vitticeps

Reaction score
I don't think any app on the phone will take screen caps without root. I think the only way to do it on non rooted phones is by using the Dalvik Debug Monitor in the Android SDK.

I'll try to find a link to instructions if you want to try it.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
thanks for the link coolbreeze, that's the method I use. Only thing this method doesn't seem to be able to capture is live camera views, they just show black. But I don't think there is a currently existing way to do that nor do I know why you'd really want to. :)

yamaredman

Reaction score
... still waiting on a simple app from the market that will take screen shots with an un-rooted Droid.

Should I grab a Snickers?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
... still waiting on a simple app from the market that will take screen shots with an un-rooted Droid.

Should I grab a Snickers?

I think that this is my second gripe about a simple thing that Droid should either do or have an app for. Come on devs.

Vitticeps

Reaction score
From what I've read over at XDA-Developers, it can't be done without root. Something about the need to read from a file in /dev/graphics that can't be accessed without root.

If it were possible, I'm sure there'd already be 100 different apps out there. It's not a problem with the Droid, it's Android from it's first iteration up to 2.1.