How to send custom ringtones to someone elses phone?

pope66682

Reaction score
How do I do it? I made a custom ringtone using ringdroid, but I want to give it to someone else so they can use it. Can't send it via text, it won't let me. Any ideas?

OP
P

pope66682

Reaction score
Did you try a Picture message?
Tried as a pic but it say not valid format. It will only let u record new audio to send with a pic. Also tried video, but that doesn't work either. I'm using OI File Manager so I'm trying to attach directly from SD card.

Foolish

Reaction score
I think gmail is ire best bet hancentsms or however you splell it LOL sorry will let you send it but my wife never got it not sure why she's on Verizon also

zx14dreamz

Reaction score
most of the posts ive seen ask about sending ringtones with text messages. but can you actually bluetooth a song to a phone right next to yours. even my old crappy razr could do that but i dont see a way with the droid.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I went through hell trying to figure this out the other day. The problem turned out to be me. Apparently the ringtone was too big to send via handcent and email. Get ringdroid and cut it down and it will go. :D

vickitini

Reaction score
use chompsms =)..... you can basicly send almost everything including audio to some1 else =)

ColdSteele

Reaction score
i actually found a way to do this that is fairly easy... as long as the person you are sending it to is on Verizon also... what disappointed me was that i had to find a work around at all. I got my wife an Eris a few days before i got my droid, and on the eris, its as simple as using ringdroid to clip a song, open the default messaging app, attach audio file and wella!!! and i'm talking about .mp3 files between 350 and 500 kb... with the droids default messaging app all you can do is record a sound and send it and i tried both handcent sms and chomps and they both tell me file is too big ( 350kb ???) what i would like to be able to do is get hold of the default Eris message app and put it on the droid. but until that, best way i've found is to use Astro file manager, navigate to the file you wanna send, touch and hold on the file, select send with the email app and if its a Verizon friend, send it to [email protected] ie; [email protected], they'll get it as a text message and can save as ringtone. now i would assume that other carriers have something similar to use a cstmrs phone number @ thierservice.com, i just dont know what it would be. So if anyone knows how to get the default messaging app from the eris to the droid... do tell/

vickitini

Reaction score
@ColdSteele: doing your way is too complicated than the Chompsms.... you CAN set the audio file size by going to Chompsm==>Setting==>MSM==>MSM Setting Size Limit, after that click on the size limit you want to set

ocholoco

Reaction score
had problems with this also but i finally figured it out. i use handcent and you can attach audio files to send as mms. you can also change the size you're able to send under handcent settings too...

go into handcent, click menu, scroll to 'maximum mms size' set it to '1m' and then you can send ringtones under 1mb.

bluetooth is possible too if 2nd phone is also bluetooth capable.

to send ringtone via handcent
go into handcent
create new msg
click 'menu'
press 'attach'
press 'audio'
then find your ringtone and send

Last edited:

ColdSteele

Reaction score
@vickitini - ok, you officially rock! thanks a ton... now, anyway to stop BOTH messaging apps from going at the same time... i wanna JUST use chomps...

ColdSteele

Reaction score
also... really dont like the whole "bubble" style, can that be changed?

ragmondo

Reaction score
I wrote an app that does exactly this.

It's called "tonepush" - it allows you to send a ringtone from your phone directly to someone else's phone (and it can also change the ringtone so they hear it when you ring!).

Here's a link TonePush

Have fun and let me know how you get on with it.