Droid HAS to send ringtones... HELP!?!

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
to answer your question, I think the dev needs to increase the size limit on messages.this could cause problems for users on other networks though if he can't detect the network you use. I think there are struck limits by verizon when sending mp3 files. I think it has to be below 1MB .this only applies to mms messages. that's why it works when you send to emails and such.
I read somewhere (I think it was Google help forums) that the size limit is only 300K. My short ring tone I made last night at only 22 seconds, is 347.75K and wouldn't send. Pretty restrictive if you ask me.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
to answer your question, I think the dev needs to increase the size limit on messages.this could cause problems for users on other networks though if he can't detect the network you use. I think there are struck limits by verizon when sending mp3 files. I think it has to be below 1MB .this only applies to mms messages. that's why it works when you send to emails and such.
I read somewhere (I think it was Google help forums) that the size limit is only 300K. My short ring tone I made last night at only 22 seconds, is 347.75K and wouldn't send. Pretty restrictive if you ask me.

That size limit is based on the size limit imposed by the network. The operating system has to make sure that the MMS size is equal or lower than what the network will allow (or the network will reject your message).

Actually the limit must be larger than 300k, because if we test a MMS 10 second video it is like 400k+ which means that the message size can be larger. (you can see the video size after recording to verify this and then send with the default app).

However, I don't know the specifications with MMS technology standards. There could very well be set limits on different media in the message (only this much space for text, this much for audio, this much for video...etc).

But if other networks do not allow this much data, I don't know how handcent can do it, because handcent works for any android phone (multiple carriers/networks) not just Verizon. You would need to be able to detect the network used on the phone to add specific settings for each carrier.

As far as I know the default message app does not have a setting for the size limit of a specific message, so we can't rely on that, either. By that I mean I don't see an option to see what the size is, or options to change the size.

Last edited:

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
That size limit is based on the size limit imposed by the network. The operating system has to make sure that the MMS size is equal or lower than what then etwork will allow (or then etwork will reject your message).

Actually The limit can be raised, because if we test a MMS 10 second video it is like 400k+ which means that the message size can be larger. (you can see the video size after recording to verify this and then send with the default app).

However, I don't know the specifications with MMS technology standards. There could very well be set limits on different media in them essage (only this much space for text, this much for audio, this much for video...etc).

But if other networks do not allow this much data, I don't know how handcent can do it, because handcent works for any android phone (multiple carriers/networks) not just Verizon. You would need to be able to detect the network used on the phone to add specific settings for each carrier.

As far as I know the default message app does not have a setting for the size limit of a specific message, so we can't rely on that, either.
Ah, but where do we find the setting and change it? My guess is it's not available to us users. What's frustrating, is my mom is on Verizon and can take and send me a video from her phone (a flip type phone, not a smart phone) and it comes through. 27 seconds and 539kb. I can't can't take crap and send it.When it comes to my kids, this is a real
pokey.gif

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
That size limit is based on the size limit imposed by the network. The operating system has to make sure that the MMS size is equal or lower than what then etwork will allow (or then etwork will reject your message).

Actually The limit can be raised, because if we test a MMS 10 second video it is like 400k+ which means that the message size can be larger. (you can see the video size after recording to verify this and then send with the default app).

However, I don't know the specifications with MMS technology standards. There could very well be set limits on different media in them essage (only this much space for text, this much for audio, this much for video...etc).

As far as I know the default message app does not have a setting for the size limit of a specific message, so we can't rely on that, either.
Ah, but where do we find the setting and change it? My guess is it's not available to us users. What's frustrating, is my mom is on Verizon and can take and send me a video from her phone (a flip type phone, not a smart phone) and it comes through. 27 seconds and 539kb. I can't can't take crap and send it.When it comes to my kids, this is a real
pokey.gif

If its a big problem, you can always use the default app to send a 10 second clip through MMS. And just to clarify, I don't think we can break the limit on Verizon's MMS messages. I just think our apps/software is not optimized to take advantage of the full size the network will accept. But obviously if we can send 400k+ videos over MMS, the size is clearly over the 300k mentioned earlier.

If you email the guy from the market page for handcent, you guys might be able to convince him to look into it. From my talks with him, he seems to be somewhat interested in fixing it, but lately hes been working on improving that greeting feature with a bigger selection and such.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score

pokey.gif

If its a big problem, you can always use the default app to send a 10 second clip through MMS. And just to clarify, I don't think we can break the limit on Verizon's MMS messages. I just think our apps/software is not optimized to take advantage of the full size the network will accept. But obviously if we can send 400k+ videos over MMS, the size is clearly over the 300k mentioned earlier.

If you email the guy from the market page for handcent, you guys might be able to convince him to look into it. From my talks with him, he seems to be somewhat interested in fixing it, but lately hes been working on improving that greeting feature with a bigger selection and such.
I hear ya, I was kind of backing up what you were saying about maybe there being different limits to different media types. Our droids take much better video and therefore bigger file sizes. I have one at only 22 seconds and it's 1.16mb.

Thanks for the suggestion.

SwordOfWar

Reaction score
pokey.gif

I hear ya, I was kind of backing up what you were saying about maybe there being different limits to different media types. Our droids take much better video and therefore bigger file sizes. I have one at only 22 seconds and it's 1.16mb.

Thanks for the suggestion.

How about you just upload your capture straight to youtube? Surely that would impress your mom in the meantime :) I bet her flip phone can't do that! And a ton better than what you get via a MMS message, and it will always be there on YouTube, never deleted. Most higher end phones (not even smartphone) will play youtube now.

I think there are other apps on them arket that let you upload via 3G, if you don't have WiFi.

but anyway, email that dev and complain about the size limits and how it won't accept video clips (even ones with MMS setting) and that the default app can do it.

Usually the first thing he says is "can default app do this?" before he will help.

Last edited:

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
How about you just upload your capture straight to youtube? Surely that would impress your mom in the meantime :) I bet her flip phone can't do that! And a ton better than what you get via a MMS message, and it will always be there on YouTube, never deleted. Most higher end phones (not even smartphone) will play youtube now.
:D
All my videos either go directly to Qik (if I use that camera app) or uploaded to YT, all shared on FB when I do "share" them. But not looking to impress, but rather share videos of her grandchildren privately is what fuels my desire to message them to her.

windstrings

Reaction score
found an app called "attachEmail"

I links with gmail quite well.. can send 11 meg songs and bigger and Astro won't.
I just sent another and the total size once it got to my computer email was 13287K in size!... I haven't tried bigger yet.

Astro "looks" like it sent it but when you go to your sent box in gmail, you will see it didn't send the attachment as it warns the file is too big to attach when in astro.

"attachEmail" simply browses to the file and you touch the file you want to send and it gives you a multiple of choices to send by... pick "gmail" and hit send, it goes!

It looks like it sends pretty quick but it actually takes a few seconds to send a big file if your just on 3g.

I tested it and it works!..... don't know why astro can't do it?.... I sent them a complaint.
Better yet, Why can't the droid do it stock without needing an app?

Now I'm trying to figure out how to "receive" files that big... seems nothing wants to open mp3s or M4a's that big once I get them that I can find.