How to root a Motorola Droid Maxx Dev Ed

Knight71

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Maxx Dev Ed.
I am currently running 4.4.4 but I want to go back to 4.2.2 stock rom that came with the phone and I want to root it. My bootloader is unlocked. And I did a recovery and wiped the phone within Android and it just went back to 4.4.4 not 4.2.2 like it did before. I went to fastboot and tried to go into recovery and wipe the cache but the phone just rebooted. I was able to wipe the cache before...maybe I did something wrong...I am very new to this and have downloaded so much stuff to do this but im sooooooo lost. Also Fastboot says that device is UNLOCKED, Status Code 3

OP
K

Knight71

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Ok...can you walk me threw it please. Also fxz means what...there are two 4.2.2 that I can download from the link that you sent I would assume that I would want the 12.15.15 version. I am going to turn in for the night but will return to check back in the morning. Thanks Mustang02.

P

promo87

Well, here try heading over the "editandroid.com/root-motorola-droid-maxx-easiest-method/" it will help you in guiding you step by step to root your device.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Unless the Maxx is different than than the x (same family) then you will not be able to go back to 4.4.2 or any of them ...even with the unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my XT1060

OP
K

Knight71

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Hey Promo87, I went to that website and did what the instructions told me but nothing happened. My phone never rebooted and the file never went to the phone.

GoCliffGo05, It is a dev ed. I should be able to install a factory 4.2.2 rom on there...I just dont know how to do it. lol

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I'm telling you, you will have mixed partition tables. Moto doesn't care if you have a dev edition... I have one too and I'm stuck on 4.4.4.

It will be possible to flash certain partition a but it's risky and not a full downgrade.

Sent from my XT1060

OP
K

Knight71

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Is there a way to see the partitions on the phone. Im sorry im so new at this I paid 650 plus 50 tax 700 total from Motorola for this phone and it had 4.2.2 on there originally then I updated out of curiosity to 4.4.4 I was thinking about installing CyanogenMod 10.2