How to root a Droid X (worked for me)

grolson

Reaction score
RK, Thanks so much for the encouragement. Everything went very well, a little problem with getting the Titanium Pro backup loaded but finally got it done. Now to figure out freezing apps to get rid of the bloatware. So far so good, I could not have gotten it done with out the help of you guys in the forum. I really appreciate you efforts.
Thanks so much.

Garydancedroiddancedroid

Power

Reaction score
Just awesome!

I've had my X for about 5 months ( :icon_cool: ) and decided to root. I've never done it and this was just simply amazingly easy following this guide. My phone is 2.2.1 and the latest OTA update. Just followed the steps listed, it ran and rebooted my phone after a few minutes without a hitch. Downloaded Titanium Backup Pro and ran it and all is good.

Now to find some good ROM's! Thank you very much for this guide and z4!:heart:

RKramden

Reaction score
@ Grolson,

in case you didn't get the PM, you need to d/l the free version of Titanium B/U first, then purchase the Pro version.

Graikos

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have read the thread but I am still having an issue. I have the Moto Droid 2.2.1.
I downloaded the Z4 apk and transferred it to my phones SD card. I put it in the "downloads" folder. I used Astro to locate and install it. I powered off the phone and turned it back on. I ran Z4 permanent. When it gets to acquiring root shell it seems to disappear and I am back to my app list. Am I doing something wrong? Did I not put the apk in the right folder? I hate being the new guy.
Thanks for any help.

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
I've had my X for about a year and decided to root. I've never done it and this was just simply amazingly easy following this guide. My phone is 2.2.1 and the latest OTA update. Just followed the steps listed, it ran and rebooted my phone after a few minutes without a hitch. Downloaded Titanium Backup Pro and ran it and all is good.

Now to find some good ROM's! Thank you very much for this guide and z4!:heart:

You must have a sweet hookup because the X has only been out for 6 months... JK

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have read the thread but I am still having an issue. I have the Moto Droid 2.2.1.
I downloaded the Z4 apk and transferred it to my phones SD card. I put it in the "downloads" folder. I used Astro to locate and install it. I powered off the phone and turned it back on. I ran Z4 permanent. When it gets to acquiring root shell it seems to disappear and I am back to my app list. Am I doing something wrong? Did I not put the apk in the right folder? I hate being the new guy.
Thanks for any help.

Z4root doesn't work on 2.2.1
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/117319-root-droid-running-2-2-1-a-new-post.html

MonKENy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Thanks for any help.

Z4root doesn't work on 2.2.1
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/117319-root-droid-running-2-2-1-a-new-post.html

yes it does...I am 2.2.1 and rooted thanks to z4root

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Sorry, don't know why I was thinking they had a D1! :icon_eek:

DroidForums Junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Where did you dl'd z4root from?

Hi everyone,
Thanks for any help.

DroidForums Junkie!!

grolson

Reaction score
@ Grolson,

in case you didn't get the PM, you need to d/l the free version of Titanium B/U first, then purchase the Pro version.

Thanks RK,
I ended up doing exactly that and it finally took. It was behaving funny on the install, I gave it a little bit, then stopped it, shut down the phone, restarted and it loaded up fine. Some APPs just seem to act like they are hung on the download, but a restart seems to fix it.
So I'm rooted, backed up, bootstrapped, and now tethering with Android tether. Life is a beautiful thing. Now I'm considering themes, possibly a ROM.

Whoa, it was just a week ago and I was nervous about the whole deal of rooting. Thanks for the reassurance.
No longer a newb!!!!dancedroiddancedroid
Gary

stumbleflyx

Reaction score
Just read Rooolers guide to root/backup/rom that is awesome! One question it says for 2.2 is it also for 2.2.1 or is that guide universal

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Should apply to both

Just read Rooolers guide to root/backup/rom that is awesome! One question it says for 2.2 is it also for 2.2.1 or is that guide universal

DroidForums Junkie!!

Graikos

Reaction score
Where did you dl'd z4root from?

Hi everyone,
Thanks for any help.

DroidForums Junkie!!

I believe it was Softpedia. The version was 1.3.0

I am confused. I have a Droid 1-2.2.1, does Z4 root work with this or not?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Z4root won't work on FRG83D

DroidForums Junkie!!