How to root a Droid X (worked for me)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Do NOT delete the bloatware...go grab Titanium Backup Pro and freeze them instead...you'll thank me later :)

For sure worked, that's sn swathe write up. Now my question is, how do I go about deleting bloatware? I can't seem to find a way to give super user permissions to some apps.

Regards,
Brandon
Sent from my Verizon Droid X

DroidForums junkie!!

bart2546

Reaction score
I just realized how horrible that typing was from me, meant to say an awesome write-up.

I am assuming if I delete the bloat ware I'd be screwed if I wanted to unroot? So since I am not interested in roms or kernals I am assuming it's generally worthless to be rooted? With the exception if over clocking?

Regards,
Brandon

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
You'd still be able to re-root but you have to have ALL of the preinstalled apps if you want to accept an OTA update or it will fail. Some people have uninstalled the wrong apps and it caused certain features to not function properly. Freezing is a much better idea.

I just realized how horrible that typing was from me, meant to say an awesome write-up.

I am assuming if I delete the bloat ware I'd be screwed if I wanted to unroot? So since I am not interested in roms or kernals I am assuming it's generally worthless to be rooted? With the exception if over clocking?

Regards,
Brandon

DroidForums junkie!!

AMU

Reaction score
If I root will anything be deleted?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
No. Root just gives you superuser access to otherwise restricted files.
Think about a house with a basement. Everything that powers the house is in the basement (water heater, circuit breaker, furnace, etc) but the door is locked. Rooting simply unlocks the door. :)

If I root will anything be deleted?

DroidForums junkie!!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Shouldn't as that's the equivalent of wiping data in recovery before flashing a ROM. Sent you that PM btw.

If I hard reset my phone, will i lose the root? ALso what are the hard keys to reset?

DroidForums junkie!!

midgetgrimm

Reaction score
Shouldn't as that's the equivalent of wiping data in recovery before flashing a ROM. Sent you that PM btw.

If I hard reset my phone, will i lose the root? ALso what are the hard keys to reset?

DroidForums junkie!!
I hit you back on that, I wish I could chat now. Just not possible with current surroundings. Anyway, I am going to reset my phone now, that way when I wipe itt later I wont have much on it.

Blackstack

Reaction score
Sweet....I was gonna pay a guy $50 to root mine and do some other stuff but this is so easy even a caveman can do it. I would add that you have to reboot after the install and then run the app that roots it. THANKS!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
If you say so..I've never had to reboot nor has anyone I've helped root with z4 as it reboots the phone itself when done.

Sweet....I was gonna pay a guy $50 to root mine and do some other stuff but this is so easy even a caveman can do it. I would add that you have to reboot after the install and then run the app that roots it. THANKS!

DroidForums junkie!!

nbs

Reaction score
Worked great. Thank you.

Blackstack

Reaction score
If you say so..I've never had to reboot nor has anyone I've helped root with z4 as it reboots the phone itself when done.

DroidForums junkie!!

Z4 was running for 7-8 minutes. I read the reply in this thread about doing the battery pull so I did that. I ran z4 after re-boot and it finished up in about 30 seconds or so. How long have you let it run in the past? I'll take your word for it.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Ahhh...we seem to be talking about two different things. Sorry about that! I noticed in step 12, it says reboot AFTER z4root is complete. You're right about the battery pull when the phone hangs at "running exploit" screen though. Carry on and sorry again. :(

DroidForums junkie!!

Z4 was running for 7-8 minutes. I read the reply in this thread about doing the battery pull so I did that. I ran z4 after re-boot and it finished up in about 30 seconds or so. How long have you let it run in the past? I'll take your word for it.

DroidForums junkie!!

jayboe

Reaction score
EFFING AWESOME!!! You would not believe the trouble that I was going through trying to find the best way to root my new DroidX 2.2 version 2.3.151. Simply go here Download starting... - Softpedia for the z4root.apk to download from Softpedia. Then transfer that file to your SD card, navigate to it using your prefered file manager (Root Explorer, Astro...), select the file for install, reboot phone, start Z4ROOT and then select temporary or permanent.
The rest will take care of itself. Again, thanks for the thread!