How to properly block ads in Android/Cyanogenmod?

diracdeltafunct

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note II
Cyanogenmod 11, just installed with factory wipe, on a Samsung Galaxy Note II.

Adblock 1.1.3 installed via F-Droid, with permanent superuser permissions granted. Rebooted to make sure any changes take proper effect.

It works fine on WLAN, but on WWAN (3G, etc) it prevents a working connection in Firefox and the built-in browser. However, ping still works from a command line, so I do have an Internet connection. In the browser, it stops at something like 30% loading, then eventually times out with a "Invalid proxy configuration" (or equivalent, I may be paraphrasing slightly, but proxy is the key word).

Disabling or removing Adblock resolved this issue and I was again able to use Internet over WWAN.

Adaway 3.0 installed via F-Droid, also granted permanent supseruser permissions. Rebooted to make sure any changes took the proper effect.

Adaway is able to block ads on normal websites, but fails to block ads on Youtube, even on WLAN. I have not tested WWAN for Adaway, but the program is useless to me when it cannot block Youtube, which is what I primarily use.

My question is, how do I properly block ads in Android/Cyanogenmod? How can I use Adblock in Cyanogenmod without it killing any ability to use a normal browser? Or how can I use Adaway and make it block Youtube ads?

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I could be wrong but I'm not sure if there is a way to block ads in YouTube.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum @diracdeltafunct!
Miller is correct. There is currently no way to block YouTube ads.
That being said, there MAY be a ROM available that has an ad free third party version of YouTube baked into the ROM, but it's extremely unlikely. It's one of the only apps that you're unable to remove the ads from.

The way I see it is....and this is just my opinion of course.... the rest of my device is completely ad free, so if I have to deal with the occasional ad on YouTube, then so be it.
For me personally, I can live with that.

Good luck!

S5 tap'n

JiveTurkee

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S8+ (T-Mobile)
No app beats Ad Away for ad blocking. None. However I didn't know about You Tube Ad Away. Thanks!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
You're the man @wicked! Thanks for the heads up.

S5 tap'n

No app beats Ad Away for ad blocking. None. However I didn't know about You Tube Ad Away. Thanks!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2
You're welcome. :)

Yep, been using adaway over abp for quite some time.

YouTube Adaway is great.

Reactions: cr6