1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Adblock Plus Useless in Android 4.2.2

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 13, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Folks around the globe are happily checking out the new fixes and features of Android 4.2.2, but not all is happy in Android-update-land. Apparently, one of the newly improved security functions of Android 4.2.2 effectively nullifies the ability of Adblock Plus to function. For those who don't use it, this is not a big deal. For those who do, it's pretty frustrating. If you haven't heard of Adblock Plus, it's a great app for Windows, and is available on Android as well. It is designed to stop those annoying pop-up ads on the internet. Unfortunately, the way in which it goes about doing that is a potential security leak within Android. Google didn't intentionally shut down the program, but their new security update effectively does so. Also, it doesn't look like there will be an easy fix for this either. Here's a quote with the details,

We thought it worth sharing for folks out there who use Adblock Plus. Sound off if you were affected.

Source: AndroidPolice
  2. skennelly

skennelly Active Member

So, my assumption is that no add blocking app will work with this update?
  3. Xplorer4x4

Xplorer4x4 New Member

All the ad block apps/functions I have tested, operate the same way as ABP did, so I am going to go out on a limb here and say yes. However, from the sounds of it, rooted devices don't have to worry.

Personally, I would prefer an adblock solution to block adds on a per app basis. In most cases, ads are fine. As some one with programing experience, I am more then happy to compensate the app maker for the time and effort they put in to it. However, in some cases, the ads just get in the way of the functionality of the app, and I would prefer to block ads in that one app rather then block them on the entire device. I would also like to block ads in my browsers as it can easily disrupt the page lay out.
  4. srothkin

srothkin New Member

FWIW, I've been using AdFree (which only works on rooted devices) -- I have it on my Thunderbolt (still Gingerbread) and my Galaxy Tab 2 (ICS). This works by adding entries for specific host names (e.g. doubleclick.net) to the local hosts file and setting their IP addresses to 127.0.0.1, effectively preventing apps from reaching those hosts. I presume that will still work in 4.2.2 ROMs. Of course, it won't block any ads that are directly referenced by IP address instead of by host name.
Search tags for this page
adblock android 4.2 doesn't work
adblock android 4.2.2

adblock nexus 7

adblock on nexus 7 proxy settings
adblock plus android wont work
adblock plus for nexus 7

adblock plus galaxy s3

adblock plus nexus 7

adblock plus non rooted android

adfree android 4.2.2

android 4.2 add block