AdBlock Plus Built Its Own Android Browser

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Before we go to deep into this article I have to say that I am a firm believer in ads on the internet. In fact I believe that the internet would not exist as it is today without ads. Content creators can not work for free. They also for the most part can not charge for their content on the internet. The reason no one is willing to pay for content on the internet is because we have created an atmosphere of "Ad supported". If you take away the ads creators don't get paid, and everyone will still expect free content since this is the atmosphere we have created.

That being said I can totally understand the annoyance that ads can be. I have been known to skip a youtube ad here or there (I normally watch ads if they are less than a minute and run ahead of a video from a youtuber i really like, it's kind of like handing them a penny. If enough people do it those pennies add up.) I have also been known to skip TV ads. I normally like to record shows on my DVR and watch them the next day specifically so I can fast forward through commercials. I have never had an issue with banner ads on websites, and have even clicked on those that were relevant to me. The ads that really get under my skin are the ones that launch when you land on a website's home page. You know the ones that I'm talking about the ones that take up the entire page and make you wait a few seconds before you can click the X.

These are the types of ads that encouraged developers to develop ad blockers. Ad blockers really work. Ad Blocker has been one of the top reasons that Modders have decided to root their devices. It no longer requires root. AdBlock Plus known for their web browser extension that blocks ads on your PC has been working on an Android Browser with AdBlock built in. Like I said before blocking all ads could kill the internet in the long run, but if you just can't stand ads you can become a member of the beta team. Head to the link below to grab the Browser.

via Ann-Lee Chou+

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Since I am a firm believer in NO ADS, I am interested in this new browser. I get so sick of getting bombarded with advertising in every realm of life.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I am a firm believer in NO ADS, I am interested in this new browser. I get so sick of getting bombarded with advertising in every realm of life.

Bloggers gotta eat too man! LOL

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Side banner ads are one thing, and debatably okay. Pop-up ads that take up the whole screen, or block view until dismissed are another. We are right back to the old pop-up days of Netscape and the like.

Those I can't stand, so I block them all. If the "ad community" banded together and did things right, they might annoy less and make more money. Until then, I say "no soup for you".

kixfan

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 20u AT&T
Twitter
kixfan
My opinion is that they are a neccesary evil. I look at it as the internet is just another entertainment medium. Ads are on TV, ads are on radio, in newspapers, magazines...why should the internet be any different. Banner ads don't bother me in the least but the forced ads that block news stories and stuff really p*ss me off! If they had an ad blocker that worked only on those types of ads then I'd sign up in a heartbeat. Besides...coders and webmasters need to eat too!

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Tried it... Seems to load pages slower than Chrome, and it only blocks about 50% of the ads on the page, and it failed to block a popup, and it FC'd after only 5 minutes of use.

Fail.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I won't be trying this. I feel basically the same as the majority that have posted here before me. I hate the ads that block content, but I know folks gotta eat, so I don't mind the others and, as DMX said, I try to click on them if they're something I'm interested in anyway.

I also believe in paying for apps and even the occasional IAP to support developers.

I understand folks who are that annoyed by them that they want them all gone, but they don't bother me, so I won't worry about em until they do.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
I won't be trying this. I feel basically the same as the majority that have posted here before me. I hate the ads that block content, but I know folks gotta eat, so I don't mind the others and, as DMX said, I try to click on them if they're something I'm interested in anyway.

I also believe in paying for apps and even the occasional IAP to support developers.

I understand folks who are that annoyed by them that they want them all gone, but they don't bother me, so I won't worry about em until they do.

Well, I think that we all agree, but I am sure that when you DVR your favorite shows, you skip through most of the commercials, right? LOL

I think that the problem is that so many websites have gone completely overboard with the ads. A lot of sites and articles that I click on, literally have more ads than content. And when they pop up and cover up the content and the "x" is the size of a poppy seed, forcing you to zoom in to click on it and get back to the page that still has 17 ads on it.... Its too much.

It slows everything down, causes the page to take a long time to load, you go to click on something and the add has a 10 second delay before it pops up because they know that the average person will take that long to click and therefore they are likely to click the stupid ad and open up a second page without meaning to, which then has to be closed to get back to the one damned thing that you are actually there for...

They are abusing stuff with the sheet volume of ads. It's a nuisance at this point more than anything. I don't care if its a living for them. I don't want someone else to make more than me, by intentionally spamming and annoying me. :)

That said, this browser sucks, at least in this beta form

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Of course I skip past the ads on the DVR. They still get paid for those ads, if I'm not mistaken. I'm not sure how they collect their data, but my TV box was obviously tuned to that channel when the commercial originally played. I could be wrong, but I doubt that they cable company has developed the ability for their system to know when I skip a commercial so they can report that to the advertisers and make less money.

The internet doesn't work that way. The whole ad scheme online was built differently from the ground up.

I'm not passing judgement or trying to say I'm right. Just having an open discussion. ;)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
They actually do track if you watch the ads. For the superbowl, they report on which ads got the most views and how many were watched more than once, etc...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, either way. Haha! My stepson watches enough live cartoons and we watch the News and HGTV live when we've got nothing left on the DVR. They're getting their money.

They're also giant networks instead of independent developers/creators of content trying to make ends' meat (yes. I know not ALL, but some)

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
See, the way I see it, I pay for TV. I pay over 100 bux a month for U-Verse, and it is the same for cable, DirecTV, etc...

So I don't care if the ads get viewed. I am paying for the service and content, I don't need to sit there and waste time watching ads for products that I will never buy.

I understand that the web is free and someone has to pay for it. But there is a point where the content takes a back seat to the ads.

The ads should be there to support and pay for the content. Now, the content is there just to entice you to view the ads. Its backwards, in a lot of cases, and the content and viewer experience suffers as a result.

When the balance tips from good content with a few ads to support it, to mediocre content and an avalanche of ads, I have an issue with that.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
This app is a really cool concept, but holy crap it's like the slowest browser in the world. Takes a ridiculous amount of time to load pages, but I mean, it is still in beta.