Official Samsung Browser Receives Ad Block Support

Discussion in 'Android News' started by DroidModderX, Feb 1, 2016.

1. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,337
    I beg the differ. You don't have to visit shady sites to get intrusive ads that slows performance. I actually not only like that Samsung is doing this but this may push the Samsung browser ahead of my chrome browser.

I feel there are many sites that have gotten out of control with the ads. Look I understand making some ad money but not at the expense of locking up my device and taking me to sites I didn't want to go to. Not to name sites but there are some tech sites that I have went to and like the entire screen is covered and you have to find the x that is a hidden ad. Stuff like that actually has shifted me toward ad blockers (particularly for those sites). If the site can not advertise it in a tasteful way where it does not hinder the performance than I'm either blocking or not visiting the site. End rant

Why is Samsung getting involved, probably because they are listening to their customers. People would not be so up in arms about ads if some of these sites would calm down on trying to treat their entire space like a NASCAR car ads. Are you trying to present your content or just be a billboard?
    We see the ads at the bottom of the screen if we are interested we will click if not forcing me to click is not going to make me buy the product.

Thumbs up for Samsung in my book. Hopefully sites get the hint and get back to non intrusive ads that sits in the background out of the way.

Sent from my Nexus 6

• Like Like x 2
  2. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +2,038
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    Visit XDA from a mobile browser.... 2/3 of the page is ads that are larger in size than the content of the site.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  3. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,338
    I already use the Samsung browser. It used to be available on the Play Store (called Android Browser) and was the oem browser , no matter the manufacturer, before Chrome and back when Chrome wasn't forced bloatware. I've stuck with it because it still supports Flash and is very vanilla. Now that they're adding ad blocker ability I'll actually be able to read some of the news stories posted on Facebook without the hassle of full screen ads and accidental new windows being opened by scrolling down in a non perfect spot with my finger if I'm not using my s pen to hover scroll.
    I also have been dumping apps that have started putting ads full screen in the middle of using them, the latest was my dictionary app by a well known company. Do a query, tap search and a full screen ad pops up. X it out to get the results. No thank you. I usually just go ahead and get paid versions of most apps with the choice between ads and none but the dictionary one didn't state they were going to start doing mega ads in the update that added them or even mention they were changing methods at all.
    I totally get ads bring in revenue but as many have stated, tasteful ones draw me towards an app/website and I've tapped a many ad to check things out. Time is money in the business world. Time is family in the home world. I don't have time to incessantly tap xs or other bothersome things that make a quick use of something take thrice as long to do. I applaud Samsung for giving us a choice of whether to add an add-on app vs Google and others walling things in more.
    Mobile devices are getting more like carriers, cable, and internet. Less choice by bigger conglomerates telling us what we want/need little by little. We're pretty much Apple or Android that are both becoming more alike with every passing month.
    How many of us use Tapatalk partly because our favorite forum can be scrolled without all the clutter and time consumption by ads, not to mention data savings?

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

• Like Like x 1
  4. DrumsOfGrohl

DrumsOfGrohl Senior Member

Ratings:
    +66
    Current Phone Model:
    iphone 6
    The problem with a general ad blocker, is that it's punishing legitimate and unobtrusive sites for the actions of the more obnoxious sites. The idea of ad blockers is just putting on a bandaid. Ads will always find a way to get around ad blockers.

There should be a rating system, and ad blockers should only block ads from sites that have a certain low rank. Sites with higher ranks should be left alone, and their ads should be shown. This way it encourages the site owners, as well as the advertising businesses to keep their ads clean and to a minimum. It would promote higher quality.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Briankbl

Briankbl Active Member

Ratings:
    +104
    For my normal, every day browsing, I use the standard Chrome. When I know I'm going to a site with intrusive ads, I use the #NoChromo browser. Chrome with a built in ad blocker. Works wonders!

6. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,338
    This browser allows users to set which to block and which to allow
    Adblock Browser for Android - Android Apps on Google Play
    uploadfromtaptalk1454525620310.png
    I'm not touting or promoting the above link, just showing it isn't always an all or none set of choices we are necessarily talking about here but it is going to add choices.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

• Like Like x 2
Search tags for this page

annoying pop up ads android