How to guide: Disable double notifications when using handcent sms

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Seems as though there are 4 or 5 of these threads popping up every day. The annoyance of having double notifications for received SMS seems to be the biggest "complaint" about Handcent SMS. Here is a simple guide to make your life easier.

1. Open the "messaging" from the app drawer
  2. Push the "menu" button(the 2nd button from left on the bottom of your Droid
  3. Click SETTINGS
  4. Scroll down and UNCHECK "Notifications"
  5. To futher disable the mssaging app you can UNCHECK " Auto-Retrieve"(this prevents the "Messaging" App from even downloading messages.
  6. Exit the app. Rejoice. Live long and Prosper. Yay!

jimmerz

Reaction score
Well that is great to know! I actually uninstalled it because of that. Also, Handcent seems to not allow me to send as large of a file as the installed messaging, is there a fix for that too?

Thanks!

slider7420

Reaction score
Thanks!

Seems as though there are 4 or 5 of these threads popping up every day. The annoyance of having double notifications for received SMS seems to be the biggest "complaint" about Handcent SMS. Here is a simple guide to make your life easier.

3. Click SETTINGS
  5. To futher disable the mssaging app you can UNCHECK " Auto-Retrieve"(this prevents the "Messaging" App from even downloading messages.

That was making me crazy, now that I have the default app disabled, how do I change the sound for Handscent to what I was using for text message notifications?

KiotaKahn

Reaction score
  3. Click SETTINGS

I followed your instructions to the letter, even disabled the default messaging app from even retrieving the messages, and am still getting double notifications. The "Droid" sound that I have set as my default notification sound, and the R2-D2 sound that is set in Handcent. Any other suggestions? It's something that I have learned to live with, but would love to be able to correct.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

3. Click SETTINGS

That was making me crazy, now that I have the default app disabled, how do I change the sound for Handscent to what I was using for text message notifications?

Go into Handcent > Settings > Notification Setting > Select ringtone

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this OP... it really would be unnecessary if people took a few minutes to look in all their settings and figure things out for themselves... but oh well

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now if someone could do a step by step instruction how to stop Google Voice from sending 2 messages out. Sure hope that gets resolved soon.

OP
medicTHREE

medicTHREE

Reaction score
Now if someone could do a step by step instruction how to stop Google Voice from sending 2 messages out. Sure hope that gets resolved soon.

Sorry for missing this... What do you mean sending 2 messages... Mine doesn't do this.