How to guide: Disable double notifications when using handcent sms

mach330

Reaction score
not sure what i'm doing wrong as well. but mine still vibrates when i get messages (even after disabling the notification).

YaZmEen1116

Reaction score
How can u set a custom ringtone on the Handcent sms When the text arrives?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How can u set a custom ringtone on the Handcent sms When the text arrives?
Two parts to this....

1) You can either use a Ringtone/Notification app such as Ringdroid or Mabilo.
I prefer to not use an app and customize myself. It's very simple. Go to your SD card and create two folders.... one called "ringtones" (all lower case) and one called "notifications" (again lower case). Now add the custom ringtone/notification tone or song you want to use into the appropriate folder. For Handcent this would be the "notifications" folder.

2) Open Handcent, press menu button, select Settings, scroll to 'Notification settings', then select ringtone. The custom file you added to the notification folder will be available from the selection list.

...if you want to create custom ringtones for each contact just open a thread with that contact and click on the icon on the top right hand corner of the app (looks like a person with a gear wheel in front of them)

nitsuj

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this OP... it really would be unnecessary if people took a few minutes to look in all their settings and figure things out for themselves... but oh well

If everyone did that, we wouldn't need this forum. ;-)

mach330

Reaction score
i did this awhile back and i still get double notifications

not sure what i'm doing wrong as well. but mine still vibrates when i get messages (even after disabling the notification).

make sure to uncheck 'auto-retrieve' in the stock messaging app.

this might be a stupid question. when i use the original msg app, all it does is make a sound (no vibrate). it does exactly what i tell it to do on the settings. however, with handsent, it doesn't seem to do that. if i take out the auto-retrieve function, then i won't get any notification at all. what i want is to be able to control it in the settings like the stock msg.

summary: handscent, i have to disable "auto-retrieve". if i try to just disable the vibrate in settings, it won't work. it still vibrates until i disable "auto-retrieve".

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
i did this awhile back and i still get double notifications

this might be a stupid question. when i use the original msg app, all it does is make a sound (no vibrate). it does exactly what i tell it to do on the settings. however, with handsent, it doesn't seem to do that. if i take out the auto-retrieve function, then i won't get any notification at all. what i want is to be able to control it in the settings like the stock msg.

summary: handscent, i have to disable "auto-retrieve". if i try to just disable the vibrate in settings, it won't work. it still vibrates until i disable "auto-retrieve".
Just wanna clear up what you want before I try to help... You want to use Handcent as your default messaging? You want to disable the vibration from the Handcent notification?

mach330

Reaction score

Just wanna clear up what you want before I try to help... You want to use Handcent as your default messaging? You want to disable the vibration from the Handcent notification?

yes. i just want it to ring (according to my notification setting). it always vibrates. i just want a sound, no vibrate like my default msg (which follows whatever I have set in my settings).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
mach330,

I would disable your stock messaging app all together.
Open the stock app, go to settings and disable auto-retrieve and disable notifications. (to eliminate double notifications)
Open Handcent, go to settings then retrieve message setting. Make sure 'handcent delivery report' is enabled, 'auto-retrieve' in enabled, and 'roaming auto-retrieve' (this doesn't need to be enabled. I just don't worry about a charge)
Now go back and disable the vibrate setting in the notifications setting..
This is how my settings are and I am able to toggle between whether Handcent vibrates or not.
Let me know if this helps.

mach330

Reaction score
mach330,

Open the stock app, go to settings and disable auto-retrieve and disable notifications. (to eliminate double notifications)
Open Handcent, go to settings then retrieve message setting. Make sure 'handcent delivery report' is enabled, 'auto-retrieve' in enabled, and 'roaming auto-retrieve' (this doesn't need to be enabled. I just don't worry about a charge)
This is how my settings are and I am able to toggle between whether Handcent vibrates or not.

cool...i'll try that when i get home. thanks a lot.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
mach330,

cool...i'll try that when i get home. thanks a lot.
No problem. You're welcome. If it doesn't work just post again and we'll keep digging til we figure it out. :icon_ banana:

mach330

Reaction score
finally got this to work. thanks for all the help.
Excellent! Glad to help boss. Have a good night

thanks..i didn't realize that if i opened up the msg app icon (which I have default to handcent) that's actually the setting of the original app. i needed to open up handcent thru the app folder not the msg icon. took me a while to read your instruction. now my wife is not mad at me. it's her droid. lol

PhontomF

Reaction score
No matter what settings I try on this thread I still get 2 audio notifications whenever I get a text message. I've disabled everything in the default messaging app and still the same thing. If I set ringtone notification to silent in both handcent and the default app it still plays one audio notification. Its like some other app is causing an audio notification to play or something but I don't have any other messaging related apps installed. Any ideas??