How to BLOCK Play market with ICS (OTA)

xmguy

Reaction score
I've got the new ICS update for the Razr installed. I've also got the "Old Market" (Pre movies, books and music), it works great. However I have a issue. On GB I could block the "Market Updater" and the the old market would not auto update to Google Play. Now this file is missing and I don't know how to block it. Can someone help me find what I need to keep the old market. Right now the old market will only stay til it Auto Updates. Yes I'm rooted btw. Thanks!

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!

swallman

Reaction score
Just kind of curious as to why you want to keep the old market ? I imagine at some point Google is going to force you to upgrade anyways...

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Just kind of curious as to why you want to keep the old market ? I imagine at some point Google is going to force you to upgrade anyways...

I just don't like all the clutter of the movies, book and music I have no need for. The older market version 2.3.6 worked perfectly on GB I could block the MarketUpdater.apk file and keep the old market. However ICS seems to not have that file and I can't find out how to block it. I can install and run 2.3.6 Market but within a few minutes the Google Play downloads and takes over.

juniecho

Reaction score
then you mean you have a working (not force closing) market 2.3.6 apk in your system?
if so could you share the file?

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
then you mean you have a working (not force closing) market 2.3.6 apk in your system?
if so could you share the file?

Sure. I have a webserver. But I'd rather share using a sharing site. What is best?

Last edited:
OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
One more picture. I had a heck of a time keeping it from updating though. I had to .bak every folder and replace the "new" market name "Phonesky" in the /system/app and /data/data root folders to block the update. It seems to be staying on the old version and NOT updating to Google Play, for now.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
One more picture. I had a heck of a time keeping it from updating though. I had to .bak every folder and replace the "new" market name "Phonesky" in the /system/app and /data/data root folders to block the update. It seems to be staying on the old version and NOT updating to Google Play, for now.

Can't wait for the file(s) and description of the process. I can't stand the new Google Play store. I'll be waiting for your expertise and assistance! :hail:

juniecho

Reaction score
Can't wait for the file(s) and description of the process. I can't stand the new Google Play store. I'll be waiting for your expertise and assistance! :hail:

totally agreed, really can't stand the google play. SUCKS TOO MUCH!!!
especially google play does not list my purchased app on the top, they are like a hundred pages down there... i have to search all my purchased apps again. what moron could design my app list like that?

in the good old days i did not have to do this, old market listed all my purchased apps on the top so i could just see my app list and start installing them all straight!

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
Once my CLNR Razr Maxx comes Ill test out what I did to get the new Market/Google Play blocked. Then report back.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Bionic... out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!