1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

How is your call quality?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Kevinb84, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Kevinb84

Kevinb84 New Member

Hey all,

Just trying to see if my issue warrants a trip to Verizon tomorrow. I picked up my Droid on launch day and literally every person I've talked to with the exception of my mother has told me that I sound like shit. My wife says that it sounds like I'm a robot. As lovely as it would be for Motorola to include a voice synthesizer, I don't think this is the case.

Let me know if you've had the problem or not. Every review I've read says the phone had "great" call quality.

Thanks,
    -Kevin
  2. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

have you tried to update the programming on the phone or update the cell towers?
  3. Kevinb84

Kevinb84 New Member

I did not, Im doing that right now and will post back with my results tomorrow.

Thanks,
    -Kevin
  4. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

Hey there,

i guess we had this once or twice here and it looks like shitty calls are in the minority of DROIDS. That makes me think of a hardware error. Ever talked to VZW Hotline bout it?

Greetz
    Tigger
  5. seaman

seaman New Member

I think that the Droid has great call clarity, better than most phones I've used. And when I was talking to my dad, he told me that the call clarity was better on his end as well.
  6. a73

a73 New Member

mine has a bit of static/ crackle that I hear in the background, though people I'm talking to say the quality is great. I didn't have this problem with my previous Verizon dumb phone in the same calling areas. I updated the software/towers and it didn't help. Will likely take it back to the Verizon store today to swap it out. Of note, phonearena.com had a similar experience with their test unit when they did their review of the Droid
  7. tablatronix

tablatronix New Member

Mine sounds pretty good, but it does have some kind of digital compression sounding mumbles on it wihch is very annoying. Even with silence i hear some kind of dac or dsp artifacts from the earpiece.
  8. MelWright

MelWright New Member

I just got mine last night, but I have no issues at all with hearing or being heard! It's a heck of alot clearer than my previous phone!
  9. jjb2

jjb2 New Member

People sound great on my end, but a lot of people say i sound muffled on their end. Pretty annoying always repeating myself.
  10. txskeets

txskeets New Member

I get the same thing on mine...some kind of static background noise when I am on calls. Wonder if I should swap this out at VZW.
  11. moparharn

moparharn New Member

How do you update the towers /phone?

Any help would be appreciated. Is it like *69 or something like that? I had to make two three calls from a land line today because the other peson complained of a bad echo from he Droid. I could hear nothing.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  12. sir

sir New Member

haven't had issues yet. no one's complained about issues. but maybe that's because they didn't mind not hearing what i had to say? :(
  13. pakitloss

pakitloss New Member

My workmate has the same phone as me and he always sounds muffled. In his case I think it is the silicone phone cover.
  14. JoeyNWZ

JoeyNWZ New Member

My call clarity is great, but I always immediatly turn of voice privacy when I get a new pda/smartphone... I feel that it degrades the quality quite a bit.

You can turn it off by going to menu -> Call Settings and unchecking voice privacy.
  15. cjdroid

cjdroid New Member

Annoying Echo

I've gotten complaints from those calling me that they get a terrible reverb/echo when they speak into their phones. They sound fine to me and I sound fine to them. They just can't stand hearing themselves echoing when they speak into their phones. I'm suspecting, though I have yet to confirm, that this phenomenon might have to do with the Voice Privacy "enchanced privacy mode". I'm turning it "off" for now. Any thoughts are appreciated...
  16. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

So dar i've been good. Today is only day 2 though. Time will tell :)
  17. memoself

memoself New Member

I was having the muffled voice also. It may sound stupid but If you cradle your phone (palm it) I think we might be putting our palm over the mic.?? Isn't the mic the grid thingie on the back of the phone? All I know is that hubby said I sounded better when I stopped palming the phone.
  18. khojem

khojem New Member

No. The mic is the little hole on the front to the left of the Verizon logo. At least my doc says that.
  19. beltwaybob

beltwaybob New Member

I had the same echo problem, especially when calling another droid. I turned off the voice privacy in call settings and it got a lot better but there is still a lot of static.
    Bob
  20. Trip

Trip New Member

Just because I would like to know for future reference... how do you update the phone to the cell towers?
Search tags for this page

which has better call quality and clarity lg or motorola