Google Voice Call Quality

acepelon

Reaction score
Considering Google isn't the carrier, I had no idea it was going to introduce what I call "the AT&T effect" to my voice calls. I left my iPhone and its wonderful games that I've never played to get away from bad voice quality from AT&T!

Anyone else in this scenario? Even though, or maybe because, I work tech support on the phone all day, I hate getting personal calls largely because of the inconveniences Google Voice fixes. Years ago I started a campaign to educate friends and family so that if they wanted to reach me, calling me was a bad idea. And leaving a message? Well, ^leaving me a message^guaranteeing I won't get that message.

So now that I have Google voice and updated a few folks to my new number, I've gotten a total of a about 4 calls- all failures of quality. One from the little lady and 3 from my dr office. 3 because of the horribleness of the voice quality. The lady on the phone would ask me something, I would respond, 5 seconds later she would ask, "Sir?" and then repeat her question. I answered again and she was barely able to make it out. And my voice was breaking up when she did hear me.

As far as that first call from my wife to me-

Fail-horse-and-buggy. (Fail without the benefit of technological advances.)

She couldn't hear my replies to her. Very scratchy and stuttered outbound from me (inbound was perfect). This inbound call from my wife was src: in our house dst: also in our house if that matters.

It is a good thing I didn't update everyone I know with my new GV number because I would feel silly having to tell them to revert.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of result AND worked through the issues to satisfaction? Having a Droid, I have to believe in Google's services- and I have for years. This service seems too good to not show off for the benefit of future Android owners everywhere.

Any wisdom is appreciated.

les017

Reaction score
wow, I wish I had some insight here as I have been totally Google Voice for two months (except for my Verizon contacts that I left alone to keep it free for everyone) and have never noticed any such issues. The only aggravation I have had with GV is the occasional failure to dial the first time
Ill sure be interested to hear any additional replies

les017

Reaction score
wow, I wish I had some insight here as I have been totally Google Voice for two months (except for my Verizon contacts that I left alone to keep it free for everyone) and have never noticed any such issues. The only aggravation I have had with GV is the occasional failure to dial the first time
Ill sure be interested to hear any additional replies

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a drop in call quality using GV but not to the level the OP speaks of. Maybe you should just use Verizon?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
This has been an ongoing issue for GV for as long as I've been on it (near or over a year). It comes and goes. Given the heavy amount of new traffic they are undoubtedly seeing lately (between the first round of invites and the Android devices ect.) they probably are a bit overwhelmed. It is still VERY MUCH a Beta so it will take some time for things to get up to par.