Ready to return this phone, call quality sucks...

YosM45

Reaction score
O.K., between the

1) Crappy browser that craps out and lags,
2) The repeated notification of old/read hotmail emails and my inability to keep them marked as read,

And now...

3) My crap call quality, I'm am pretty much done and disappointed. I have 2 issues with my calls. My biggest problem is the crackle that I get in my ear piece when I'm on a call. I notice it more if me and the other person are speaking at the same time. Like when you accidently cut each other off. Some times it just happens when they are talking. It's only on my side. The other side says it sounds clear, but the crackle every 10 seconds has me going crazy. Additionally, on some calls I get an echo on my end. I'll say something and I can hear it on the other side like a delay.

I just can't believe how bad the call quality is. I mean 1st and fore-most, this is a phone, but you wouldn't know it by all the call issues its had.

I'm running 2.0.1, but it's not helping. Niether battery pulls or *228's are helping.

I think its sad that this will be my 4th exchange.

I love this phone, but I need a phone more than a multimedia device. It would be nice to have both, both not at this expense.

So....is anyone else having call quality issues?

calpilot7

Reaction score
Are you using GV for calls by any chance? GV call quality was not good for me. It's amazing that Verizon has actually swapped phones with you 4 times rather than just cutting their losses and refunding your money.

Last edited:

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you got a bad phone....4 of them? And, I can tell you you're wasting your time with the *228's.....the PRL's only update every 4 to 8 weeks so you're not accomplishing anything that way. The guy who is the Ask A Tech or whatever in his thread says about how to possibly improve call quality by placing it in a certain mode (sorry, can't remember right now), it actually adversely affected mine and people were complaining, so I went back to default and the quality has been just fine.

OP
Y

YosM45

Reaction score
Sounds like you got a bad phone....4 of them? And, I can tell you you're wasting your time with the *228's.....the PRL's only update every 4 to 8 weeks so you're not accomplishing anything that way. The guy who is the Ask A Tech or whatever in his thread says about how to possibly improve call quality by placing it in a certain mode (sorry, can't remember right now), it actually adversely affected mine and people were complaining, so I went back to default and the quality has been just fine.

The 2nd & 3rd were replaced on the spot in the store. The screens were loose. So this is my second that actaully went home with me. It's not like I can take the phone in the VZ store and make up a story, just to keep getting a new phone, just to spend 2 hours setting it back up.

I thought about changing the call settings. I read that post. I just can't imgine that I'm the only one having any of these problems.

Echo3

Reaction score
Call quality is no issue for me. No crackle and the person's voice comes out clean and clear. IMO, the call quality sounds better than my iPhone 3G.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well considering the "slew of problems" you posted on 11/24 with yur droid i think yur 30 day return limit is up. drive careful

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Answers Below..

O.K., between the

1) Crappy browser that craps out and lags,

--- Try Dolphin

2) The repeated notification of old/read hotmail emails and my inability to keep them marked as read,

-- Download K-9 Mail.

And now...

3) My crap call quality, I'm am pretty much done and disappointed. I have 2 issues with my calls. My biggest problem is the crackle that I get in my ear piece when I'm on a call. I notice it more if me and the other person are speaking at the same time. Like when you accidently cut each other off. Some times it just happens when they are talking. It's only on my side. The other side says it sounds clear, but the crackle every 10 seconds has me going crazy. Additionally, on some calls I get an echo on my end. I'll say something and I can hear it on the other side like a delay.

-- I returned one phone because of a faint constant clicking that no one in the freakin store could hear but me. I had to fight them to return it. There was also alot of crackle.. The new one has been fantastic. So good and clear that sometimes I ask if the person is still on the phone - yes THAT good. As clear as a landline.

I just can't believe how bad the call quality is. I mean 1st and fore-most, this is a phone, but you wouldn't know it by all the call issues its had.

I'm running 2.0.1, but it's not helping. Niether battery pulls or *228's are helping.

I think its sad that this will be my 4th exchange.

I love this phone, but I need a phone more than a multimedia device. It would be nice to have both, both not at this expense.

So....is anyone else having call quality issues?

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
Thats wierd. after reading here for a couple weeks before i got the droid i was expecting a poor quality on phone calls but figured if i could hear what they were saying and they could hear me that would be cool with all the other features of the phone. But the phone quality on both ends is fantastic i think it sounds better than my home land line phone did. and have none of the lag with anything anyone is talking about. either my expectations are low or i got a super phone :) . as for internet speed and phone coverage remember i am coming from at&t. :)

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Im having the same experience with call quality - they could not make it better.

Thats wierd. after reading here for a couple weeks before i got the droid i was expecting a poor quality on phone calls but figured if i could hear what they were saying and they could hear me that would be cool with all the other features of the phone. But the phone quality on both ends is fantastic i think it sounds better than my home land line phone did. and have none of the lag with anything anyone is talking about. either my expectations are low or i got a super phone :) . as for internet speed and phone coverage remember i am coming from at&t. :)

OP
Y

YosM45

Reaction score
Answers Below..

-- I returned one phone because of a faint constant clicking that no one in the freakin store could hear but me. I had to fight them to return it. There was also alot of crackle.. The new one has been fantastic. So good and clear that sometimes I ask if the person is still on the phone - yes THAT good. As clear as a landline.

Wow, you hit the nail on the head. Sounds exactly like my phone. I guess I'll just have to take it back to Verizon.

Is there anything I should be looking for in terms of a manufacturing date, or build number. Some that tells me that this is a newer built phone?

Spoke to Motorola about the email push problem. They said they are aware of it and that typically, deleting the Hotmail account and reinstalling it corrects it. As of right now I'm only a level 1 technical issue, but if the reinstalling doesn't correct the problem, they'll escalate me to a level 2, whatever that means? Good to know I'm not crazy.

Does anyone else have their Hotmail accounts sync'ed?

CORINACAKE, our phones are under warranty for 1 year, even longer if the issues you've experienced have been properly document. In addition, it is Verizon's policy to exchange the phone for a like model if it has been replaced 3 times. So no, I can't get my money back, but Verizon will work to correct the problem if they confirm that there is an issue.

Seriously, isn't this section of the forum here so we can help each other trouble shoot. What's with the asinine responses from you and others.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
CORINACAKE, our phones are under warranty for 1 year, even longer if the issues you've experienced have been properly document. In addition, it is Verizon's policy to exchange the phone for a like model if it has been replaced 3 times. So no, I can't get my money back, but Verizon will work to correct the problem if they confirm that there is an issue.

Seriously, isn't this section of the forum here so we can help each other trouble shoot. What's with the asinine responses from you and others.

The reason you got attitude is that you displayed it in your opening post. You may not have meant for it to come off that way but it did.

I don't have any problems with my phone, I'm quite pleased with it. Sorry you're having issues. Is this your first smart phone? Because if you think this phone is bad you should try a Blackberry Storm. Then you would understand why we think it's a great phone and can be a bit defensive when someone bad mouths our beloved Droid.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
thanks hook...that's exactly right. happy new year!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
call quality is a vast improvement of my BB Storm. Droid's call quality is great.... except when laying in bed... and others have posted this issue as well. Odd... but no biggie :)