How do you protect your kids from what they can access

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
First credit to who actually came up with this, @CJM, but in this day in age you can access any and everything with a search. Whether by typing or by voice we now have access to a wealth of information. This in part is what Google and many tech companies have strive for, the ability for any one to get information regardless of social class, race, creed, or country.

Think about it, back in many of your days if you wanted to know about dinosaurs you had to break out the old encyclopedia, which meant having a loaded bookshelf. Not including what it cost to buy those encyclopedia (britannicas) and have them delivered (unless you went to the local library). But now you can just type or say the word and any and everything about dinosaurs are at your finger tips. And with VR and AR (augmented) we can experience an entire world while never leaving the house.

The other side to the internet and having information freedom is that because everything can be accessed by anyone, everything can be accessed by anyone. Facebook killer, crazy teen challenges, and more can be easily accessed by a child whether intentional or accidental.

Though I am not trying to preach for a restricted internet, I am though wanting to know how you tech guys as parents handle this new age now that any and everyone has access to the internet and social media, including your kids.

This question is being mirrored to our sister forums (How do you protect your kids from what they can access) as this is not so much just an android question but one that involves all tech as many of us live in a household where multiple platforms are being used. And at the end of the day no matter what platform you are using it is taking you to the same internet, unless you live in a country that censors and restricts the internet.

Last edited:

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
as long as the kids have friends and socialized, you cannot protect them... at least one of their friends will know how to bypass any protection.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
as long as the kids have friends and socialized, you cannot protect them... at least one of their friends will know how to bypass any protection.
Good point.

So constant communication with your kids and educating them on what is out there is going to go further than any block wouldn't you say?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have raised two teenagers in this modern, digital age and it was not easy. There is a fine line between respecting their privacy when it comes to digital devices and helping to keep them safe. It's tough. Communication is a key factor, along with setting boundaries and setting realistic expectations. There will always be "those kids" that will try to insert bad influence onto others. That happened even when I was a kid, long before the digital world we live in now. Kids are bullied and picked on relentlessly on social media these days and they feel a constant need to stay connected so they can stop the BS rumors being posted. There is no right or wrong in this in my opinion, each parent / parents have to do the best they can and try to keep their kids safe while also allowing them to stay connected to the digital world.

Thanks for starting this thread pc747, excellent idea.

And by the way, Anderson Cooper did a special documentary a while back about teenagers and social media, and the modern digital world. Every parent should watch it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
The most popular game ever, is the game to bypass parental controls. I remember trying to hack passwords. Nintendo's games, four letter words, were no match. One the code was "zest", nailed that sucker in 20 minutes. I always started Z to A. Les' PDA, again, about 20 minutes.

me just sayin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Good point.

So constant communication with your kids and educating them on what is out there is going to go further than any block wouldn't you say?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

that is exactly right, it will take communication and teaching the kids right from wrong. in the end, it is their decision as to what they do behind your back