What do you use to manage your music and access it from PC's and Phone??

KCHusker

Reaction score
I've been an OG Moto Droid owner for a year now and although I rooted and feel comfortable with all it's capabilities I still really struggle with managing all of my music and wanted to get some feedback from the community on what they use. Here's my situation.....

2 Home PC's, 2 Droids, 2 iPods

Once pc is an old one my kids have access to but it has all of the itunes music we've downloaded over the years, all my CD's music that I've ripped as well as copies of "free" music I've downloaded with apps over my droid. The ipod's belong to my younger kids so doing my fatherly duty I monitor what goes on them thus I manage their music. The other droid belongs to my wife and she's kept it stock and really vanilla but I keep her music updated for her as well. Until I got this droid the last portable music player I owned was a Walkman so my knowledge of ipods/itunes is very basic.

My first question is what application(s) are you using to consolidate all your music on the pc(s) without duplicating it or creating duplicates when data is sync'd to multiple devices?

I keep thinking there must be something out there that can interface with my kids ipods and our droids on both my home pc's without having to maintain two pools of the same music. Maybe all of this is wishful thinking or just my lack of knowledge but I lurk here almost daily so if something like this is out there then I know someone on this forum will know about it. Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Considering the Droids are drag and drops, I just keep all my music in one folder and pick and choose what I want on the device (if I do want any on device as we have a bunch of 'cloud' options now; mspot, amazon, etc.)

From what I heard the app DoubleTwist (?) works with iTunes. Hopefully someone will chime in but I'm pretty sure the app was DoubleTwist.

Izaya323

Reaction score
I would look into Subsonic. You can find it at Subsonic.org. You essentially set up a music server that is on all the time, and you have all of your music on that computer. There are apps for android, iOS, and your computer. You can also access your music from any internet browser. It works really well for me, and allows me to have all my music stored in one place while listening to it from multiple locations and different operating systems. You can run the server as a free trial for 30 days, but then you will have to donate approx. $10 to continue if you like it.

Hope this helps you out!

Cheers!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Ummmm...my mouse and a USB cable....:icon_eek:

Seriously, thats all I use. I have a 500GB hard drive in my desktop PC that has roughly 300GB of music...I manage it with my mouse...and of course Windows Explorer.

My Droid X music is controlled via a USB cable connecting the phone to my PC...and again with my mouse I drag and drop whatever albums I want from my PC files to my SD card...

I see no reason to "sync" my music, as it only changes when I decide to add or subtract albums from my phone...and as such, I dont need any "music manager" apps to perform my duties for me...

But, to each their own...Double Twist works well with iTunes-->Droid syncing...